Track Submission

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Track Submission

Post by yubabax116 »

alright, my mistake :P
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
amarant24
Peon
Peon

Post by amarant24 »

If I haven't made it clear I am trying to make tracks for the Bandit Cave in the Mana World. This is the sound part of the forum so I am posting my ideas here. I posted the song according to Yubaba's instruction. If I've done anything wrong then let me know I'd like to post correctly and I don't mind.
@crush - about the song I respect your opinion. But I am in fact a musician, not to brag, but maybe we have different tastes and opinions about how things should be. I know how music works and how to compose a melody with harmony etc. Maybe you should check out some of the definitions and maybe broaden your music library so you can see how melodies and harmonies can be different within a same song and be drastic but smooth changes from one to another.
Any more constructive criticism?
@Dark-Mag - I'm only beginning to learn c++ programming knowledge. I'd like to contribute to the game as I find some places without music a little dull. I am a musician and I'd like to contribute there too as well as maybe helping out with story and side quests. Any help is very much appreciated.
Dark_Mag
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dark_Mag »

amarant24 wrote:@Dark-Mag - I'm only beginning to learn c++ programming knowledge. I'd like to contribute to the game as I find some places without music a little dull. I am a musician and I'd like to contribute there too as well as maybe helping out with story and side quests. Any help is very much appreciated.
amarant24,

its good that you're learning it, i'm learning it too. :)
i see that everyone is trying to add new music for new maps, but i still have never seen someone making music for new monsters, or adding some effects into map music, for example:
  • wolfs howl in forest
  • sound of see and etc.
i hope you understand me :)

cheers, dark
amarant24
Peon
Peon

Post by amarant24 »

I'll give it a spin and see what I can come up with.

Is there a list of monsters somewhere that don't make sounds so I can try it?

Can you make one?
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

@Dark mage we can also do so many requests at a time, i already have a few i need to work on for maps and the crypt things will get done but dont expect a rush on everything. :P

@amarant24 your right about people having different tastes but the music also has to be put on the game and has to match with it.

Yubaba
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Sounds for skeletons would probably have the most impact, since there are several versions of skeletons and they can share them.

sounds for all skeletons:

hurt: bones craking or being rattled
die: bones falling to the ground

for most skeletons:
hit: a bone fist punching
miss: a woosh
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Hey all,

Just a few tips to bear in mind for future tracks. You don't have to follow them, but it certainly helps me...

1 - Instrument selection - try to create a 'palette' of sounds before you begin. For TMW, unless they are very organic-sounding, many electronic elements aren't going to fit the feel of the game. I'm not saying you can't use them, but if you do, it will pay to be selective with them, supporting or adding to the other elements.

2 - Looping - There are various ways to make a track loop smoothly. Fade out the end of a track and fade in the start. That will take care of the production side. Compositionally, to get it sounding right, you may need to do other things, like drop out instrument lines. Example if you open the track with flutes and brass, the loop will be more seamless if your final bars finish up in a similar style to the start of your track.

3 - Look through some of the previous music composition posts. You may not be a able to hear the tracks, but you'll get an idea of how much tweaking and changing is required of a track. As an open source game, you don't get much more creative freedom and we get to enjoy the bliss of no deadlines. Trust in the feedback you receive and try your best to apply that to the track. If feedback you're getting isn't clear enough, ask for clarification

e.g. I don't like the strings / I don't like the strings@2:35 - 2:42. (I know which one of these is more useful to me)

4 - Collaborations can be difficult, but if you use the same sequencer, then you should be well set and can just pass project files back and forth.

Rotonen posted some good advice here

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 3&start=15

(hey, what happened to Rotonen anyway...?)

amarant24, I'm kinda in agreement with Crush (he's not called Crush for nothing :D) Between your first and second tracks posted, there was a huge improvement - the first one just didn't flow for me. I am way behind with conventional music theory, but because the music doesn't 'settle' enough, it becomes distracting to listen to.

"so you can see how melodies and harmonies can be different within a same song and be drastic but smooth changes from one to another." This is true, but this is VERY difficult to pull off well. And even if it was, it would still be very detracting. One composer I know uses some superb chord changes and his accidentals and harmonies shift very naturally; you'd do well to listen to some this http://soundcloud.com/ryanreilly/lailas-forest, he has many more tracks and I believe he composed the excellent themes for Hero of Allacrost also. His 'home style' is a rare thing amongst Western composers, sharing many trademarks of Japanese composers.

Having your own personal style is good, but the type of music that the game requires just didn't fit what was produced here. (Crush's comments about not posting music not made for this game was more directed to yubabax116, after he commented that it was just something he was playing around with and not really for TMW.)