Mantis: Taking care of obsolete assignments

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Mantis: Taking care of obsolete assignments

Post by Bertram »

Hi everyone,

I'm coming here to make my casual mantis cleanup task, but taking another approach:

As we have currently 38 assigned tasks in the TMW Mantis, and 31 ones in the Mana Mantis, I come up to get news from the assignees about whether they are still up to the task, whether it is still relevant as is, or whether they simply still care. :roll:
I'm not meaning to lower our investment in this project, but I know life happens and it would much better for everyone when developers say frankly whether they're stuck or not willing to deal with a task anymore. Thanks for your consideration.

A special note to Jaxad and Crush who both have *many* issues assigned which can be a burden, even just when opening mantis for them.

Note that I won't bother the content team in this topic, and that I've already reviewed my own assignments.

Now, please read, answer and make a decision when necessary. :D

Bjorn: 3
[The Mana World Mantis] 1
631 Spelling fixes and Swedish translation: Waiting for an answer, merge the patch or close the issue.
[Mana Mantis] 2
7 Port the client to the Qt framework: See the manamobile project. I guess the project is stalled until we have proper basic gameplay under manaserv with the current client. Am I still right?
331 Documentation: Table of Contents does not fit in the box: Waiting for an answer about whether you can do something about it or not.

Aard:
[Mana Mantis]
206 Create the server binaries in a 'bin' directory: Still willing to do it? Why is that important btw?

Jaxad0127: 12
[The Mana World Mantis] 5
197 Impossible to select custom smilie shortcuts: Still relevant? Still willing to do it?
496 Malivox stat reset revisions: Still willing to apply it? Isn't it something belonging more to Wombat now?
540 Guild names indistinguishable: Still willing to do it?
753 Monsters, players and loot should be visible even when obstructed by trees or back-facing walls: Still stuck? Need help? Still willing to finish the task?
840 Have a separate social window instead of cramping it obscurely under options: Still willing to finish the task?
[Mana Mantis] 7
3 Make all GUI widgets skinnable: I guess it's related to make use of xml in the theme gui folder for each widgets. Are you still willing to do it?
24 Buffer/prerender layered sprites: Linked with TMW-Mantis #753. Still willing to do it?
26 Work out a network guild interface: Still willing to do at least the manaserv's part?
60 Create guild crash in eA serv: What's left to do there? Still willing to do it?
158 Everytime i logged out and return, i see my skills gains again: You said you had several possibilities to do it, can you share them in the issue? Are you still willing to do it?
222 SMSG_BEING_SPAWN is not handled: Still willing to do it for 1.1 aka 0.6.0?
361 Cleanup iterator use: In review process. I guess that we are at least 2 being a bit reluctant to use a macro for such a common keyword, but eh, maybe it's just me. I'll propose a vote once Bjorn is back for good.
Other: didn't you work on resizing the mana client window on the fly? What is preventing you from finishing it? Need help?

Crush: 14
[The Mana World Mantis] 3
210 Monster database: Still willing to do it? Ok, closed.
342 New particle engine features: Is this issue still up-to-date? Still willing to work on it? Ok, closed.
688 Custom items: Still on some corner of your mind? And still willing to do it? Ok, reopended in mana mantis as: Issue 378.
[Mana Mantis] 11
53 Possiblity to make the character invisible: Still willing to do it? Ok, deassigned.

156 Add support for specials: Still waiting for skills and attack support I guess?
165 Netcode for special palette: Issue a bit vague. can you precise a bit, and/or provide a specification url?
166 Script bindings for more comfortable special attack scripting: Almost doable, but still waiting for attack support I guess.
167 Implement cooldown for specials: See 156
168 Implement SP cost for specials: See 156
169 Allow specials to have passive effects: See 156
181 Implement game master tools and commands support: Are you still on it?
288 Add functions to check which items are equipped: Assigned not long ago, so I come up next year about it ;)
310 Problems with map-bound game state variables: One of the most vital feature for manaserv. Plus, it's done but the patch is not accepted by bjorn. I'll talk to him so it can be as his counter arguments lead to technical problems between different databases.
318 Allow monster and item names in @-command, and script bindings.: Isn't this done already? What's missing?
Discussed with Crush and still pending.

Are those developers still active?
Fate:
[The Mana World Mantis] 2
726 Game tends to get out of sync with server after casting #kalmurk spell
1002 Unitialized beer variable -> Kfahr interjects gibberish.: Isn't that more something for o11c?

ExceptionFault: 4
682 Email change via tmwweb
849 Remove definition of constants from config files.
850 Provide a management interface to administrate a list of available servers.
[Mana Mantis] 1
5 Provide XML Schema definitions for every xml configuration script

Best regards,
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Mantis: Taking care of obsolete assignments

Post by o11c »

Many of the issues on TMW mantis actually belong to Mana mantis.
Also TMW mantis is hard to use, since there is no filter by category (there is only "General") - there needs to be: server code, graphics, sound, mapping, script code, script text (mostly spelling/grammar), and something to cover mob/item stats.

It might be best to wipe it out and start from scratch, though of course we shouldn't wipe the history. Perhaps make it so simply no new issues can be created, but allow comments and closing of existing issues?
Of course, it is possible to resolve the issues without starting from scratch.

For resizing the client, my patch sort of works in non-OpenGL mode: it just needed to move windows that are in the dead region, and move the button(s) in the top-right corner, which is perfectly doable with listeners, but a proper (and probably simpler!) fix would require forking guichan. Note, if you switch between "game" mode and the other mode (used on the login screen, etc), it fixes the window/button positions but this is poor workaround as-is.
In OpenGL mode, everything failed and I have no clue how to approach that.
It would also need miscellaneous interface fixes to remember the resized size, and allow changing resolution through setup instead of saying "you need to restart". Although resizing to the size the WM told us to is not likely to cause problems, resizing to arbitrary sizes entered by the user would require error checking and resumption of the previous size.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi o11c,

Thanks for your answer,
Many of the issues on TMW mantis actually belong to Mana mantis.
Also TMW mantis is hard to use, since there is no filter by category (there is only "General") - there needs to be: server code, graphics, sound, mapping, script code, script text (mostly spelling/grammar), and something to cover mob/item stats.
I agree, and this has been needed for quite some time now. I'll ask for manager access and come back to Wombat and you to add the relevant categories.
It might be best to wipe it out and start from scratch, though of course we shouldn't wipe the history. Perhaps make it so simply no new issues can be created, but allow comments and closing of existing issues?
Of course, it is possible to resolve the issues without starting from scratch.
Wiping out the issues is out of the question. Yet, migrating the issues to the mana mantis where relevant is welcomed when the essence of the previous mantis is kept (precise description of the need, and the relevant discussion parts, the files, ...), and in that case, the previous issue can be closed. I'm working slowly on closing mana issues from the tmw mantis little by little, hoping to reach a cleaner base each time. This very thread is tending to do that.
For resizing the client, ... but a proper (and probably simpler!) fix would require forking guichan.
Thanks for the precision about the issue. This is a typical comment that would perfectly fit within the issue itself.
Btw, what simpler fix are you proposing? Note that we are already "forking" Guichan in some way, using inheritance.
Note also that as it's a spare time project, I'd ask for the steepless possible steps when willing to achieve that.

Best regards,
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Bertram wrote: Crush: 15
210 Monster database: Still willing to do it?
There are some minor details missing, but I think those should now be addressed in separate tickets. But as a programming-related task it should be on manasource.
342 New particle engine features: Is this issue still up-to-date? Still willing to work on it?
Anything particle-engine related should generally be assigned to me. But this ticket is outdated and can be closed.
688 Custom items: Still on some corner of your mind? And still willing to do it?
Yes, I got a lot of ideas for this and I would really like to do it, but unfortunately my time is limited. The realization is also blocked by a bunch of other issues. But nevertheless a task which is supposed to be on the manaserv bugtracker.
[Mana Mantis] 12
26 Work out a network guild interface: Still willing to do at least the manaserv's part?
That ticket is and always was assigned to Jarred.
53 Possiblity to make the character invisible: Still willing to do it?
I gave up on that ticket. It's unassigned again.
156 Add support for specials: Still waiting for skills and attack support I guess?
Yes, still waiting for the auto attacking to be either completed or reverted.
165 Netcode for special palette: Issue a bit vague. can you precise a bit, and/or provide a specification url?
That's a sub-issue of 156. I made the description a bit more precise. I don't have an idea yet how this message should look like and when to send them, but these problems seem trivial to me.
166 Script bindings for more comfortable special attack scripting: Almost doable, but still waiting for attack support I guess.
167 Implement cooldown for specials: See 156
168 Implement SP cost for specials: See 156
169 Allow specials to have passive effects: See 156
Yes, these issues are very much deadlocked by the auto attacking. Some design issues must be discussed first, and to discuss them we need a completely working and finished auto attack system - or revert back to the system we had before.
181 Implement game master tools and commands support: Are you still on it?
That's more like a permanent task.
288 Add functions to check which items are equipped: Assigned not long ago, so I come up next year about it ;)
Last time I wanted to do that task, equipping was completely broken making proper testing impossible, but as far as I remember someone fixed that a while ago.
310 Problems with map-bound game state variables: One of the most vital feature for manaserv. Plus, it's done but the patch is not accepted by bjorn. I'll talk to him so it can be as his counter arguments lead to technical problems between different databases.
My patch is there. Take it or don't.
318 Allow monster and item names in @-command, and script bindings.: Isn't this done already? What's missing?
It works in @commands but not in scripts. But it shouldn't be hard to do.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi Crush,

Thanks a lot for your answer. :)

I've closed the issue you requested to.
26 Work out a network guild interface
That ticket is and always was assigned to Jarred.
Yes, my mistake, this has been fixed in the original message.
688 Custom items
Yes, I got a lot of ideas for this and I would really like to do it, but unfortunately my time is limited. The realization is also blocked by a bunch of other issues. But nevertheless a task which is supposed to be on the manaserv bugtracker.
Ok, I'll reopen this one on the mana mantis and assign it to you. Can I ask you to add a link to the spec you did long ago about it? Or even migrate them to the mana RFC doc? Thanks in advance.
156 Add support for specials.
Yes, still waiting for the auto attacking to be either completed or reverted.
I'm in the middle of it right now. The most urgent fix is on equipment which can't handle more than one slot at a time, server-side.
Right after that, I'll be on updating characters' auto-attacks when updating the equipment, and relink it with skills. Once it's all done, mostly, you'll be on the right track to see whether you can do something about it.
181 Implement game master tools and commands support.
That's more like a permanent task.
Again, IMHO, permanent tasks should referenced elsewhere or not at all. I guess the main dev around know your areas of expertise in the project, anyway. :)
310 Problems with map-bound game state variables.
My patch is there. Take it or don't.
I'd like to, as for me, the patch is technically fine and working. Yet, I have to wait for bjorn and talk to him about it.
318 Allow monster and item names in @-command, and script bindings.
It works in @commands but not in scripts. But it shouldn't be hard to do.
Ok, I'll leave that one in your hands then.

Thanks again and best regards,
Tasty
Newly Registered User

Post by Tasty »

Bertram wrote: 631 Spelling fixes and Swedish translation
I could definitely do this if someone could point me towards where the file(s) is stored.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Tasty wrote:
Bertram wrote: 631 Spelling fixes and Swedish translation
I could definitely do this if someone could point me towards where the file(s) is stored.
This wiki article should help you to get started: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Translations
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.