cave and other additions (Yosuhara)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I like the machete a lot, the shading of the blade seems ok to me, I could not agree on the color of the handle, but that's just personal taste I think.

The spider web, and small tiles with bones are cool as I probably said somewhere earlier. I'm not really against the prison, but something looks weird. In my opinion the bricks don't look that bad. The worse parts are the bars, they lack a 3D feeling, probably because of the lack of a real shading.

Sorry to say but I can't stand the skeleton :P
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Crush wrote:first you should remove the grey bricks. they don't fit at all. when you really insist on the bricks you should at least give them a color similar to the surrounding.

then note that there are rocks in the background that are further in the front and some that are further in the back. when the parts of the rocks that are in the front would overlap the frame of the gate a little bit, the gate would look much better integrated into the scenery.
I decided to make that bricks that surrounds frame of cell because walls of cave look more like clay than rocks....So bricks are there to increase strength of walls. Otherwise the prisoner could just kick that door off and escape :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

how about making some more of those scrambled bones? 5 or 6 different tiles would be great to decorate some monster lair.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Making them slightly larger would allow you to include more details (as in shading) in them, from which they would in my humble opinion benefit.
This message used to be meaningful.
knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

I think the bricks and the bars look too new like they were just put up. The bars should be rusty and the bricks dirty and stained with perhaps some moss on them and rust stains from the bars.
All your base are belong to us.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

rusty bars comin' right here! :

:)
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

I like the rust a little darker and its curroded some of the bars so there broken
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Tenche wrote:Image

I like the rust a little darker and its curroded some of the bars so there broken
yes, there are many kinds of rust... but i prefer mine :D
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

sorry, but the colors of your rust are just too bright and saturated. i am usually one who prefers much more colorful graphics than others but yours are literally glowing.
i took your picture, selected the rust and reduced the saturation by 50% and the brightness by 25%. doesn't it look much better?

when you want to create a more shabby and used look, you should use dithering. this technique is explained quite well in this article:
http://www.zoggles.co.uk/asp/tutorials. ... 17&page=60

by the way, you should read the other 10 chapters of the essay, too. it helped me very much when i learned to make pixel art.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Crush wrote: i took your picture, selected the rust and reduced the saturation by 50% and the brightness by 25%. doesn't it look much better?
can it probably be used in-game?

by the way ia have some more additions:

this inner-wall space can be used in different ways, of course, but it needs some more work...
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I really like this door. But since when is a door a square?
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

EJlol wrote:Image

I really like this door. But since when is a door a square?
since it is a cell not frontdoor of some house...
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

It's starting to mold and fit into context as something that doesn't strike the eye as "this doesn't belong here".

Why the magical pink, though?
This message used to be meaningful.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Rotonen wrote:It's starting to mold and fit into context as something that doesn't strike the eye as "this doesn't belong here".

Why the magical pink, though?
it's default background in cave (and others) tilesets so i keep it also here, but it doesn't matter it can be changed...
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think the "inner-wall spaces" are too dark, they look more like simple rectangles then a space with depth.
And I think it's too rectanglish.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io