005-4

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: 005-4

Post by Jenalya »

Freeyorp101 wrote:
Tiana wrote:I recall a test server that Freeyorp was using that used char info from the main server. It even was an option in the server menu. Can that be used again for this? If so then it would be easy to make a global asking players to go to the test server for this. In fact, I remember some Candor battles being tested there....
It would be simple to set this up again if there is need.
The advantage of a testserver which is on the content developers own administration is, that it is possible to have a quick restart when something changed and to alter e.g. some parameters in a script while a group of testers is around.
With Jaxad not being around, there is only you left as active admin on Platinum and when we're requesting a restart of the regular server for content releases or bugfixes it already takes several days until it happens.
Such delays in updates for a testserver would make it useless, in my opinion.
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

The recent restart happened 26 hours after the initial request (it was asked for shortly after I'd logged off for the night), and going through the logs, the one before that happened 2 and a half hours after the initial request.

While time zone differences make things difficult, and I can see your point for hosting your own test server because of this, I think delays of several days is overstating it, as I can almost always get to things within a day. That said, I do wonder where Jaxad went... :|

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Kage, how would you like this tested?

Test parameters often include:
- minimum character level (basically, at what level should this require a bit of skill to succeed?)
- intended number of characters cooperating, if applicable
- intended difficulty level (eg. Candor should always be hard. Black boots should be challenging, but not so hard as to discourage less experienced players. The Cindy battle is challenging, but once you figure out that you need a mix of classes and that warriors need fairly high Vit and mages are key, it's not bad.)
- special circumstances (eg. characters must already have completed the forest armor quest, chars are not permitted to use metal armor, chars should not be able to use healing magic)
- intended duration (is this a 5 minute battle? An hour-long quest?)

Typically, we'd test with the minimums and then throw various combinations at the situation. We also look for ways to subvert the intent of the developer, maybe by sending a level 90 tank in solo when the intent was for 5 level 80+ characters, or a pair of level 60 archer/healers when the intent was for a mix of classes of level 65+.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

CC to root at platinum.linux.pl if you need any administrative action.

Regards.