New to Sound Forum

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

New to Sound Forum

Post by Ledmitz »

Hello. I am a current player of the game and wish to contribute sound files, at this point just music. I have not created any music for the game, but have 2 tracks in Ogg format as is requested.
This is my first time trying to contribute, so feel free to correct any mistakes I have made.
"SpasmTrance" is just a short tune that displays the diversity of what I like and was not made for the game as it has a few rough spots, but of course... Feel free to use it or any sounds I post as long as I receive credit.
"BanditCave" was also made before I had heard of The Mana World. It was previously, generically named "Mellow Groove". I simply renamed the track as I felt this song appropriate to the map as it has a sneaky sound to it and I had been told that music was needed for it, though weeks before now.

I would be more than happy to make tracks to fit a requested area and love the idea of creating fighting sounds. These still seem to be needed in the game.

Thank you for your time and comment away. :D

Now to check out all the rest of the audio here.
Attachments
Ledmitz - BanditCave.ogg
(3.85 MiB) Downloaded 115 times
Ledmitz - SpasmTrance.ogg
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 117 times

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: New to Sound Forum

Post by Crush »

Hello Ledmitz.

I am not a TMW content developer at the moment and I don't know a lot about music, so please don't treat my feedback too seriously:

in my opinion SpasmTrance sounds like it would fit into a science fiction game. The first part makes me think about a sunrise over junk yards and industrial complexes. The second half (after 1:30)makes me think of one of the typical breather levels in a 90s side-scrolling shoot-em-up. By the way: The Avora project, a scifi game based on the Mana plattform, is currently trying to become active again. http://theavoraproject.org/

On Bandit Cave you are overdoing the percussion. I think it would be much better without the high hat and cymbal loop. What software are you using? Would you be willing to post the project file? We believe in open source and open content in this project, which means that developers (as well as everyone else) should be free to modify and experiment with each others work.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Thanks for the feedback Crush. I agree that SpasmTrance is not very well suited to the game. .I thought as a first post, it would be nice to toss on more than just one track. I don't have many at all in fact, but this one came close to some sort of theme music.
I also thought that the drums were a little much for the Bandit Cave too, though I have to say, originally some time was spent on making those phoney drums sound like someone was actually playing them with 2 hands and 2 feet rather than a ride cymbal constantly hitting every beat.
I would love to take some drums out for the game, but this track is a couple years old now and I don't think I have or will find the original project. However, if there is any interest at all in this tune, I would gladly recreate it for the game with freeware such as Audacity and whatever else I can find to loop with (At least till I get Ubuntu system running).
In any event, I wish to compose something (soundFX are still sparse too), and The Mana World has given me a reason. I will create more tracks soon, more suited to the game.

And... of course anything I add can be altered, mixed down, sampled, EQ'd... whatever it takes to contribute something to the game and as long as I get credit where due.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Audacity is for cutting and mixing audio files, not for composing. I can suggest LMMS (Linux Multimedia Studio) as a free open source solution. It aims to be an open source clone of FL Studio. It doesn't reach the maturity and feature set of commercial programs yet, but it is definitely usable and despite its name it also runs on Windows.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

"Audacity is for cutting and mixing audio files, not for composing."
Yeah, I am aware that I will need something to compose with. Actually I do have copies of some more intense programs, like Cakewalk and Fruityloops, but I do not own those programs, so I'm not sure on how sticky the rules are on composing, but I would rather use freeware if possible. For the first little bit though, I will need to use something windows based. I also do not like that Fruityloops, at least the version I used) could only work in multiples of 4 beats per measure, thus making 7/4 time or 3/4 time impossible to loop. I know 4/4 time is the norm, but I don't like being held back either. Sometimes spooky things are best composed in an "off time" beat, I find.

dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Have you all considered using a common sequencing software for music composition and project submission to be archived?

I would have suggested OMF files, but then the MIDI information is lost.
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

dariunas wrote:Have you all considered using a common sequencing software for music composition and project submission to be archived?

I would have suggested OMF files, but then the MIDI information is lost.
This is the second post where I saw you say this. To be honest, I should really go and get some newer software. I am just using old copies of what I've had on Backup, right now. Even my version of Audacity is a few years old now.
I checked and the FruityLoops copy I have does not save in that format either. I have also used other sequencer software and it is either more complicated than it needs to be or it hogs the screen with multiple, unnecessary windows. I'm a little too particular anyhow. Learning new software is another obstacle that takes up time. I had Reason before. Oh how everyone raved about it. I even refused to try FruityLoops after seeing all the options reason had. In the end, I thought it sucked. Reason was too flashy for me and had more windows than it needed. Also OMF files don't hold all track data either, after checking into it. It probably depends on what software you are porting to and from and what functions you use as to how well it works. I can be quite unorthodox in coming up with new sounds at times. I sure wish there was a standard. Hell, I wish there was a standard USB cord that fits ANY camera. Good luck finding a standard in anything anymore. {RANT ALERT} I gotta stop while I'm ahead.

yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

why not try LMMS? (linux multi media studio)
its usable on windows and linux. Plus its free :)

http://lmms.sourceforge.net/

^ theres a link incase your interested.

There is also Cubase which is a nice software to use but im not sure if its linux friendly.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/dow ... ase_5.html

Good luck!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

lol - I hear what you're saying Ledmitz. It can be frustrating. OMF at least contains audio clips and timing information about where and when they are to be reference and some basic track information; for the most part, this is all that's needed.

Pro Tools sessions is the standard delivery format, but many composers have their own software preference be it, Logic, Cubase, Digital Performer or anything else. I personally use Reason, Sonar and Reaper. What we have to do, is render out our individual tracks as what's referred to as 'stems' - the separate tracks of our project bounced down to single audio tracks. If FX are to be retained in the project, once again, the industry standard is the Waves FX suite, though again, I prefer Native Instruments and Izotope software so I would bounce/freeze the audio tracks to include the version with FX.

By using a common sequencing format, it means you are able to include all the audio that makes up your track and even original MIDI source tracks also. Any subsequent composers can then reference this material very easily, taking MIDI and audio clips into their own software and editing before rendering out with their own soft synths and sample libraries.

For example. I may do a project in Reaper with piano, strings and flute. I use Reason Pianos, then Flute and strings from Kontakt. Once I've completed and submitted the track, I can render these three instruments as three separate stereo audio tracks and will also export out the MIDI information. I would then open up for example, LMMS as mentioned and simple drop the three tracks and MIDI content into a new LMMS project and then that would be it all done :)

Of course it sounds simple in theory. I'm going to download and install LMMS and may give this a go soon.
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

yubabax116 wrote:why not try LMMS? (linux multi media studio)
its usable on windows and linux. Plus its free :)
Well said. Why not? It's time for some new software, since I'm newly inspired, and the title has me intrigued. It infers of video capabilities, no? VirtualDub is the king of all AVI video encoding in my opinion and many other "high end" applications are even built on it, but it is very limited and is not the answer for a quick fix solution. I'm going off topic now unless AVI's are implemented into the game in future, but I admit it is a selling point if it also encodes.
Also, given that we were talking about composing software, it is impressive if it really composes and mixes down and really, especially if it handles AVI's.
The other thing is that it works on multiple platforms. I have an Ubuntu machine waiting to be loaded up right now. You mean I can port the files without any conversion or loss of quality, reference and so on? Wow... I have to end this and check it out, else I'm going to need a cold shower. :shock:
dariunas wrote:I use Reason Pianos, then Flute and strings from Kontakt.
I assume you are talking about loading samples from these two programs and rendering with Reaper, otherwise, I'll be calling you Beethoven for composing on two different software and not hearing the results till mixdown. I admit I can do this, but it is painstaking, especially if you're a tinkerer. Bouncing from one program to another is what I'm trying to avoid. I get annoyed for having to use two programs now, as it is.
dariunas wrote:By using a common sequencing format, it means you are able to include all the audio that makes up your track and even original MIDI source tracks also.
Sounds like a great solution. To this point, I have not used midi at all for anything. I even have an Alesis SR-16 drum machine that is midi compatible, but I'd rather just port the sounds to the PC for composing in software and sell the thing while I still can.

I'm going to try out LMMS and hopefully it will solve everything. Most open source applications do. 8)
And... It is even fathered by the same host that brought us TMW... SourceForge. Man, I love that site! Everything that have have and like the most has come from there and it's all been free, to boot.
http://sourceforge.net/

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that LMMS has anything to do with AVI videos. It is an audio composing program only and has no video features I know of.
  • NOT a game master

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Crush wrote:I don't know how you came to the conclusion that LMMS has anything to do with AVI videos. It is an audio composing program only and has no video features I know of.
I came to the conclusion due to its name "multimedia". After having downloaded, I see that it is not Multimedia.. It is simply Audio. Oh well.