The spirit of the game

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

KrofGninut
Newly Registered User

The spirit of the game

Post by KrofGninut »

Forgive me if this has already been brought up before (I'm new here), but...

I was reading some of the ideas on the wiki for this game's new direction, and...I wanted to warn the developers to keep in mind the feel of the game; some good parts that might be working just fine could get spoiled by changing it, and end up turning it into an entirely different game than the one we know and love.

In particular, I'm thinking about the magic system; I like this style of using it (the new ideas for it seem a bit unoriginal, but what you already have is pretty novel, at least to me anyway). The idea of literally typing the spell into the text box, using up spell components in exchange for an attack that never misses...not getting magic EXP for failing to vary your spells...running all over the place and earning your spells through quests...it is a lovely system already.
(though I would agree that the melee system needs work; right now it's mostly a damage race, unless one is scooting backwards after hitting first to avoid damage). And archery could use more range and less accuracy penalty (maybe the mallard's eye skill can let you hit from across the screen?).

Other than that...perhaps I should add some feedback on the current game (if this is inappropriate, then do feel free to ignore these ideas):
-I think that fire goblins should be able to be sheared by the #chipchip spell; surely that volcanic ash on their back builds up, yes? (unless they just picked it up the last time they were at a volcano :P) Basically, it's because flar is a bit of a staple combat spell (since iron ores are expensive to get), and constantly having to go back to tulmishar to restock (by hunting goblins who have a 5% drop rate of ashes) gets rather tedious.
Of course, I can't think of any plausible way that shearing would work on a yellow slime :P.

-I think those monsters that are impossible to hit without a high dexterity should be at least reserved for the higher level areas, with a more gradual incline of dodge chance.

-lampshade hanging (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... adeHanging); add it somehow. Have an NPC comment on the fact that slimes drop edible food (would you really eat something that fell out of a slime?), for example. Lampshade hanging is awesome.
-on that note, perhaps people should be allowed to get more magic levels from the mana seed, but the magic NPCs will tell you "you can't learn any more spells because the developers are still working on that", to put a parody spin on it XD.

-more powerful spells should require progressively rarer components (and of course, coming back to shearing goblins, staple spell components should be easy to get). So much that the top spells have a "too good to use" effect. This extends not only to powerful combat spells, but to highly situational magic too; things you don't use often should probably be costly.

-I forget what other suggestions I had.
On the game I'm developing (still in the planning stages), I personally wanted to imitate the skill-building system of the MARDEK series (where equipment gives you skills, but using those skills enough makes them permanent), but I'm not sure if that would be appropriate for this game (probably not).