Market Place Map

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

LedStyle
Peon
Peon

Market Place Map

Post by LedStyle »

Hey guys,

Im trying to make a new map for the game. Its a Market Place. The idea is place lots of NPCs selling many itens. Im thinking in 5 NPCs:

- Tavernkeeper (a npc to sell food, beer, etc)
- Armoury (a npc to sell only armours, shields, helms, etc)
- Armoury 2 (Another npc to sell swords, bows, etc)
- Taylor (A NPC to sell hats, shoes, shirts and any clothes)
- Alchemist (A NPC do sell potions and reagents)

Another NPCs can be placed to only give infos to noobs to how to trade with other players itens and money. And for quests or any other stupid thing X_X

The center of the map is reserver for players sell and buy lots of itens with other players. In this place the chaos will be common. Lots of players screaming like:
"Iron potion 10k", "Im buying green presets... URGENT!!", "For 5k i can teach you how to get resources!!!", "Need smart sword!!", "Strong players for a guild here!!", "Im selling my mother-in-law!!" and any other business.
Its a place to players to know other players and be friends ^_^

Well, ive not created the out part of the market (the desert) and this is just a starting map. I don't know yet what to place in that middle, maybe a statue... :P
A banker in the middle is a good idea to!

And i need some benchs, a luminary, and some decor itens.

Please give suggestions and oppinions.

Remember, this is only a starter version. I need place many other things in the map!

Here's the center:

And the aerial view ^_^
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

Not a bad idea.
I see two things that might cause problems.

First the player selling to another player area system.This need to have some serious thoughts if it's not going to be a shouting match where noone can find the things they want.I have no idea how to do this but I do know that it could be a royal mess.

Second.In which city should the market be placed? :P

I like the map.But shouldnt there be something in the middle square?A fountain or something to give some eye candy. :)
Why not put a monster in there.Make it a random monster each day.Sort of like a freakshow. :P
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
LedStyle
Peon
Peon

Post by LedStyle »

Tarm wrote:Not a bad idea.
I see two things that might cause problems.

First the player selling to another player area system.This need to have some serious thoughts if it's not going to be a shouting match where noone can find the things they want.I have no idea how to do this but I do know that it could be a royal mess.

Second.In which city should the market be placed? :P

I like the map.But shouldnt there be something in the middle square?A fountain or something to give some eye candy. :)
Why not put a monster in there.Make it a random monster each day.Sort of like a freakshow. :P
Well... i really like you freakshow idea heheh. Cool!

And let me talk something. Any mmorpg have some places to trade. And in this places theres a lot of players. Players with low connection will have lag, but this is inevitable. If we dont make a place specialy for this, the players will do this in many others cities and places.

Well, let me show a market place in action:

This is really cool. We can make trades with other players! This is nice!

But we need better tilesets to make a really good map i think!
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

as i suggested somewhere before we should have an ebay like system.
some house were people can bring in stuff and start an auction.
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

And rentable stands+NPC... as I suggested somewhere before.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
LedStyle
Peon
Peon

Post by LedStyle »

Yes, maybe the player can pay a rent to place an NPC. And this NPC sell the player itens for him. Its a good idea, but a think its hard to program this.

Well, im not a programmer, so i dont know if this is possible.
Tarm
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tarm »

It shouldnt be that hard to implement.It could be made with a variant of the bank where the player could have two accounts.One private and one public that would work as a npc trader.
Maybe have a bulletin bord that show the inventory of the players public account.
"I'm selfdestructive baby
But a friendly one" - Spiritual Beggars.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

From where did we cough up those pot plants? I think they could be just a tad bit too fresh and in too good of a condition if we take the environment into consideration.

Other than that, it's really nice to see some effort and unprompted work being done for a change.
This message used to be meaningful.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Rotonen wrote:From where did we cough up those pot plants? I think they could be just a tad bit too fresh and in too good of a condition
They're from the Inn tileset. And I agree with you on this one Rotonen. :)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

in las vegas they have plants in the streets and its the middle of the desert!
i guess all the market people take care of them and make them look good to attract customers
All your base are belong to us.
LedStyle
Peon
Peon

Post by LedStyle »

Well i think we need another tileset with a ??square??? (google translation for brazilian word: praça).
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

this looks so cool
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Well I approve the idea of plants, but I disapprove of the implementation used here.
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

Seriously speaking, the Market Square* as you call it, should ONLY have a certain # of NPCs. These are... Weapon Shop with basic items, Tool Shop with healing and other misc items. Armor shop with basic armors and that is all. There is no need for...

- Tavernkeeper (a npc to sell food, beer, etc)
There is already a Pub in TMW, so theres no need to have more than one npc selling the same items in the same area.

- Taylor (A NPC to sell hats, shoes, shirts and any clothes)
Already have the Armory/Armor Selling npcs, armors DO include the shirts and such
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Well there would be a point if the npc prices varied. The more players sell stuff to that npc, the lower the prices. There should also be some random fluctuation which would raise them through the roof every once in a while, the NPC could state that there has been an accident and the prices have gone up. Just think about the oil prices these days: they take just about any excuse to raise the price.

Bear, you're our foremost expert in eAthena scripting, care to think about the implementation of varying prices?