Old Holiday events

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Old Holiday events

Post by o11c »

On IRC I raised the question of deleting the old holiday event quests, or putting them in an "attic" folder, because in some cases they do not apply to the current world/map/whatever base, or are just plain badly written.

Here is excerpted my opinions of the quests, other intermediate dialog removed.

Note, however, that *all* of these quests misuse variables and would still require quite a bit of review.
o11c wrote: Easter 2008 is nonintrusive and could easily be readded
Easter 2009 wouldn't be too hard to save
Easter 2010 is my first example of what should probably be deleted or put in the attic (I'm not saying anything about the map)
Easter 2011 involved intrusive changes to other NPCs ...
Halloween 2006 would require a fair bit of work
(there was no Halloween 2007)
Halloween 2008 could be revived with a bit of work
Halloween 2009 would require a search for bugs, but otherwise looks nice and simple
Halloween 2010 doesn't look *too* bad, though I would recommend looking over everything in any case
Christmas 2006 just makes me cringe
Christmas 2007 could be enabled with a bit of work
Christmas 2008 would be pretty easy to reenable
Christmas 2009 would be pretty easy to reenable
Christmas 2010 can't be reenabled because it contradicts the Yeti Quest
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Old Holiday events

Post by salmondine »

I would vote for the attic folder...anything can be modified from it at anytime.
not deleting our development history is important.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Old Holiday events

Post by o11c »

The whole point of git is that you don't lose your history, even if you git rm it.

My point about them being unsuitable for direct use is that you should have to do quite a bit of work to restore them.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.