a little piece of music i made

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

a little piece of music i made

Post by Crush »

just out of boredom i downloaded the demo version of the music composing program FL Studio and tried to make some music. after a few hours i created this:
http://www.crushnet.org/TempFiles/tmw/e ... 0ruins.mp3
what do you think of it?

Note that i have never made music before and only needed a few hours of practice to make this. so when someone want's to do something for tmw but doesn't know what he could do: composing music isn't really as difficult as one may think.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

Fruityloops is nice isn't it
All your base are belong to us.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Sorry Crush, you have a long way to go before your music skills are as good as your pixelling skills.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Yep it is not bad as a first try, but sure we need something better :wink:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i never intended to make music for tmw anyway. i just wanted to check out how difficult it really is.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Absolutely not that bad :wink: It is too repetitive and the instrument selected is awful but the initial tune is good, if mixed with other instruments and changes a with time it could be used, at least it gives some atmosphere.

What format does use?
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

its own propietary format. but the demo version doesn't allow saving anyway. it only permits export to wav or mp3.
  • NOT a game master

AlSim
Peon
Peon

Post by AlSim »

The base format is .flp, and I had the opportunity to use a registred version with all the plugins and so on some time ago : it's great ... for fun, not to make real music. Or for DJs (some use it professionaly live), but we don't want techno, do we ?
Fruity Loop does no more than a tweaked Amiga tracker. If you want that kind of music, use Modplug Tracker or alike. This kind of music can also be done with a Midi sequender like Cubase, Rosegarden, MusE or Melody Assistant ... or even faster with a real synthetiser and a pianist.
But I think TMW needs real instruments, so don't hurry and try to find bands who would accept to record some titles for you (why not search on Jamendo and ask some of these bands ?).
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

But I think TMW needs real instruments, so don't hurry and try to find bands who would accept to record some titles for you (why not search on Jamendo and ask some of these bands ?).
That's unpracticable IMO, I mean where do you get a skilled musician that wants to do the job for free? Chances exists but they are narrow and even if you find the person recording and mixing it is not a easy job.
Also I'm a bit against the music being too realistic for a computer game, I'm a nostalgic I guess.
You can do nice things without real instruments.
AlSim
Peon
Peon

Post by AlSim »

Pajarico wrote:
That's unpracticable IMO, I mean where do you get a skilled musician that wants to do the job for free? Chances exists but they are narrow and even if you find the person recording and mixing it is not a easy job.
I said Jamendo because there are soooo many free music bands there, and some of them are really great ! I'm sure it would be possible to find some ones who would agree to do tracks for the game.

Here's a post from the official website of the band Within Temptation to show you what I mean (the game is "The Chronicles Of Spellborn" here, it's commercial but well ...) :
When we were asked if we were interested to write music for a computer game which is being developped in The Netherlands, we didn't have to think twice. We all are enthusiastic gamers. Whether at home or on tour, computer games are prefect to relax and sometimes they even inspire our music. We will be able to reveal more details soon.
As for the recording and mixing, most of the bands already have a home-studio, and for solo instruments like keyboards or electric guitar it's very easy (you only need a correct sound card).

Whether TMW needs real instruments or not is another question that has to be discussed by the dev team. I agree with you on the point that some games must keep a simple music (can't imagine Mario with a concerto instead of the usual music :P) but fot TMW I think it would fit ... well that's only my point of view here !
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Well, that post from a that band doesn't give me any proof. They are being paid, ypu know :wink:

And about mixing I was refering to this: make our own music sheets and handle *only* the part of the instruments we need from them, the rest should be composed by us and insert the recorded track there.
This way we would have the control over the mix, the same composition can sound completely different with different mixes.

I think having just some instruments recorded makes for a perfect balance between old and new.
Wind instruments and guitars are usually very bad emulated and sound cheap; while cymbals percusions, piano and string instruments aren't perfect either but sound more pleasing to me when emulated.
As for the recording and mixing, most of the bands already have a home-studio, and for solo instruments like keyboards or electric guitar it's very easy (you only need a correct sound card).
The problem is that elctric guitars doesn't fit in the game and keyboards are not an issue since thoose can be played in a compouter. What I was thinking is to have *real* instruments and recording them is not as simple as pluging something in your soundcard. Recording of a trumpet or a viola recquires some knowledge and mic gear that not every amateur musician has.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Games like Perfect Dark Zero and Halo 2 are starting to use more contemporary music. We should at least give it a try.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I'm with Pajarico.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

I think we should settle for what we can get.
All your base are belong to us.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

knivey wrote:I think we should settle for what we can get.
Music is one of the things that need to be quite consistent. You can't have a piece of instrumental music in one map and a crappy midi in the other. So if we would go for instrumental ALL our music wouldn't need to be done like that, preferably by the same band. It's a lot easier to have computer music fit with eachother.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io