a little piece of music i made

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Cite instances for your argument, Modanung. Real events preferably but realistic examples otherwise. The logic isn't directly apparent to everyone else (or maybe just me) as to why different forms of music would potentially hurt the project.
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

Sex
now
Crush

(aka) Good job
knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

Tenche wrote:Sex
now
Crush

(aka) Good job
Agreed
All your base are belong to us.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Oh and about the music...
It's pretty good for a first try. But the samples and repetitivity twist my stomach after a while, I'd turn it off if it were in a game.
I hope you improve. :)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

well Crush im sorry to say man its good i mean yeah it might be nice for the start of a song but it gets annoying dude try and add some more synths
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

nah, i am already doing enough. pixel art, mapping, thinking about game mechanics, programming... i can't do everything in this game. there is already enough unfinished work laying around on my hard drive. when i burden myself with another field of development i will end up finishing nothing.

Thats why i am suggesting that some of you should try to learn how to make music with a computer. it isn't really that difficult. when i read some of the comments here i get the feeling that some of you know more about music than i thought. maybe you should just give it a try.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Crush wrote:i can't do everything in this game
Oh, but you can!
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

My view on music:

1) We need a composer.
2) We need to have a theme composed for each area.
3) We need to have arrangements between themes made. (For smooth musical transition between areas.)
4) We need special (as in random) themes for special places.
5) We need transition arrangements for the surroundings of special places.
6) We need to record and produce the music that will end up in the game. (The actual bands/music do not come into play before this. Before this it can be raw and ugly midi and mockups.)

So far no composer has been enthusiastic enough about actually starting to work. Some work has been done every now and then, but people have just mysteriously vanished. A concentrated group effort would really start to drive this forward. First we'd need to have a proper and defined world, though. A concentrated group effort would really drive this one forward too.

About bands: I've been warming up our university bands (we have one great big band for example) to the idea of possibly recording game music in the future and they've been more than enthusiastic. I doubt we'll get into this point until late 2007, though.
This message used to be meaningful.
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

Hooray for music! :)
If I had the right programs, the right tools, and the right amount of time, I would make so many songs! I think of new themes everyday!
I would be a pixel artist and musician for TMW. :)

Oh and Crush, that's pretty good for a bad song. (oxymoron) :wink:
I love you too. :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i really want to stop making music and finish my village tileset, but this is really addictive:
http://www.crushnet.org/TempFiles/tmw/t ... gather.mp3
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Musical expression is very very therapeutic and addicting indeed, I have withdrawl symptoms if I have to be out of touch with guitars for more than 2 or so days.

So far I think you're on 8bit level when it comes to layered composition and we'd need to surpass the 16bit level.

It might not seem like it, but that was indeed a compliment.
This message used to be meaningful.
knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

Wow. I am totally in agreement with everything Rotonen has said. Well put Rotonen!
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

In addition to what Rotonen said, I'm looking for recording sound in the nature like birds, summer insects, water, wind and rain. I plan to use those as a background sound for some scenarios. I could record them myself the problem being I haven't a decent mic.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i think that it should be possible to get such generic sounds from public domain sources.
  • NOT a game master

knivey
Novice
Novice

Post by knivey »

Pajarico wrote:In addition to what Rotonen said, I'm looking for recording sound in the nature like birds, summer insects, water, wind and rain. I plan to use those as a background sound for some scenarios. I could record them myself the problem being I haven't a decent mic.
Yea I left a tape recorder outside once all I got was the sound of traffic then some strong winds and eventually a downpoor :(