Tabletop RPG Mod

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

calkiot
Newly Registered User

Tabletop RPG Mod

Post by calkiot »

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums but have been playing TMW for a little bit. After extensive research and months of going through tons of development platforms from 3d mmorpg games, to Maptool, I've decided to use TMW and make a mod for it. This mod will allow a few of my buds and I to play a Tabletop/pen and paper rpg online. It would be a new form of role-playing online, and I look forward to the responses!
Contact me:
EMAIL: j.horne538@gmail.com
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Tabletop RPG Mod

Post by Crush »

Here is an article written by a guy who tried the same in a different game. You might find it very interesting:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... y-the-Bugs
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
calkiot
Newly Registered User

Post by calkiot »

Damn, that changes things.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Yep, when it comes to using the internet to have the pen&paper experience I would recommend just a simple chatroom. Maybe a chatbot to do the dice rolling and result calculation for combat, but not more automation than that.

The more technology you use, the more you will distract the players from roleplaying.

I also think that the greatest thing about DMing pen&paper is that you can be flexible and react to the ideas the players have. A video game always forces the players to solve problems the way the developer expected. When a player comes up with a completely unexpected out-of-the-box idea to solve a problem (We need a rope but we don't have one? Let's take off our clothes and bind them together!), the game won't allow them to do that. But as a dungeon master you can improvise an outcome, and when you are good the players won't even notice that you didn't expect them to do that. That's immersion.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
calkiot
Newly Registered User

Post by calkiot »

This man knows what hes talking about! I still am going to make something though. Thanks man.