Remember, remember the 5th of November

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

tofi
Newly Registered User

Remember, remember the 5th of November

Post by tofi »

I'm curious that you plan a special quest or at least put in Hurnscald few bonfires on that day?
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Remember, remember the 5th of November

Post by Alige »

V for Vendetta has nothing to do with TMW :)
tofi
Newly Registered User

Post by tofi »

Same as Xmas, Halloween, Easter, and Guy Fawkes mask and Leprecon's clover. Guy Fawkes Day is just another Holiday.

P.S. BTW V for Vendetta is based on gunpowder plot not reverse.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

tofi wrote:I'm curious that you plan a special quest or at least put in Hurnscald few bonfires on that day?
I heard a rumor that the GMs will blow up the government office in Tulimshar, then blame any NPC wearing green.

P.S. V for Vendetta? Ah, yes, as in the rhyme "Remember, remember, the fifth of November, when V for Vendetta was read. I have no better than to spout random letters and hope that I may soon be fed."
Nothing like the classics....
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

tofi wrote:Same as Xmas, Halloween, Easter, and Guy Fawkes mask and Leprecon's clover. Guy Fawkes Day is just another Holiday.

P.S. BTW V for Vendetta is based on gunpowder plot not reverse.
The events usually celebrated in tmw are mostly world wide holidays in which guy fawkes day is not a world wide event.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Towel Day isn't either.

But the end of the year is already a stressful time for the content development due to Halloween and Christmas. There is simply no capacity to have another holiday event between the two.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Just release an content update in which sprites.xml all headgear ids are replaced with a guy fawkes mask.
tofi
Newly Registered User

Post by tofi »

yubabax116 wrote: The events usually celebrated in tmw are mostly world wide holidays in which guy fawkes day is not a world wide event.
Halloween is not world wide event. Outside of US there live people too.
Last edited by tofi on 02 Nov 2011, 22:55, edited 2 times in total.
tofi
Newly Registered User

Post by tofi »

Crush wrote: There is simply no capacity to have another holiday event between the two.
As i said in first post it don't have to be quest event. Just backup current town map and replace it with one with bonfires added for one day to celebrate bonfires night. That should takes less then 30 minuts of one developer, and less then 1 minute to take back changes from backup after event.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

tofi wrote:
Crush wrote: There is simply no capacity to have another holiday event between the two.
As i said in first post it don't have to be quest event. Just backup current town map and replace it with one with bonfires added for one day to celebrate bonfires night. That should takes less then 30 minuts of one developer, and less then 1 minute to take back changes from backup after event.
That sounds like a fun idea. :)

By my admittedly incomplete understanding, here is what would need to happen.
1. Create several different animated graphics to add to the town.
2. Review graphics to make sure they'll fit with the theme and won't e.g. break map elements.
3. Add those to the maps and test on the testing server with various clothing items, various numbers of chars on the screen, different clients, spell animations, etc. (For example, what happens if someone wearing a candle helmet walks in front of the bonfire? What happens when a butterfly flies across?)
4. Declare the changes "good enough" and add them to the main git repository.
5. Update the main server and restart it. Coordinate this with GMs of course.
6. Test the main server to make sure no major problems were introduced.
7. Roll back changes in the git repo, and when the event is over, restart the server again.
8. Test the main server to make sure there aren't lingering effects and that everything works.

I seem to get a more enthusiastic reception if I volunteer my own time and energy rather than someone else's. If you have graphics ready to go, you could post them in the Graphics Development forum. I don't know how much will happen in the next 2 days, but you'll have the right audience to take this idea seriously.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
tofi
Newly Registered User

Post by tofi »

Bonfire is two maps north of Hurnscald then it has been tested, and it isn't walkable area then no need of rest worries.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

By all means, create such graphics and put them on the map(s).

There is no difficulty at all in releasing or "unreleasing" such an update, provided it only changes graphics and maps (but no collision tiles on maps).

But creating those graphics and maps would be effort that we can't spare right now. We can always use willing help - provided that you understand that (especially for permanent changes) not everything you create will be accepted, and (as a consequence of the GPL) anything you submit may be altered without mercy.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstadter's_law
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
tofi
Newly Registered User

Post by tofi »

o11c wrote: But creating those graphics[...]
That graphics already exist, and its animatad, on map at mines enterance, just copy-paste it on Hurnscald map, and mark it as not walkable.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

tofi wrote:
That graphics already exist, and its animatad, on map at mines enterance, just copy-paste it on Hurnscald map, and mark it as not walkable.
I can only find torches, not bonfires.

Changing the collision layer would make certain everybody's lives more difficult, but it's doable (and I can't think of many ways a bonfire could be added without needed collision - perhaps there is an appropriate place that already has collision? A signpost or the central tree?).
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
tofi
Newly Registered User

Post by tofi »

o11c wrote:
tofi wrote:
I can only find torches, not bonfires.
map 018-1 coordinates 65,78