Server replacement; Good idea?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

bogus
Newly Registered User

Re: Server replacement; Good idea?

Post by bogus »

I have played the game and I think you should have given that guy a chance. I myself have coded several clients and servers with sdl net so I understand this code easily. This code is quite amaturish, but you learn as you go.
Lots of pro million dollar projects need to be started over from scratch so you think this freebie donated code is so well made that you don't need a rebuild? If you haven't learned enough to make it worth it then no.
My insight comes from over 20 years of game code experience so it's not like I'm looking down on this amature project. Hell, most freebie projects break up before there is any actual game to play. Learning takes time. I paid my dues. I can't give you any real code unless you pay me but I'm willing to explain this or that a little.
*>* Professor Farnsworth: You can't just waltz into the Central Bureaucracy. It's a tangled web of red tape and regulations. I've never been, but a friend of mine went completely mad trying to find the washroom there.
Leela: Then we'll need a guide, someone who's been there before.
Professor Farnsworth: Oh, I've been there. Lots of times.
[laughs maniacally]
*>*
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

alanamorphus wrote:I have played the game and I think you should have given that guy a chance.
We gave him a chance. He didn't last 4 days.
bogus wrote:... a lack of basic understanding of how games work. I can see it hurts your collective pride too much to think this, but someone needed to say it. Just take your account and item database data and start over. I can see we arent going to work together so... see youz
He didn't even reply to overtures like
Crush wrote:When you have ideas how the netcode could be improved through movement prediction I would be very interested in your long version.
If the guy's a great programmer, he didn't demonstrate it. He did demonstrate an utter lack of respect for others, a failure to participate in basic dialogue, and no patience or interest to establish working relationships.

I've worked with people who program brilliantly but lack any ability to work on a team or even to see other people as peers. They don't stay long. Even a starving man is foolish to eat poison.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Frost wrote:
bogus wrote:I have played the game and I think you should have given me a chance.
We gave you a chance. You didn't last 4 days.
bogus wrote:... a lack of basic understanding of how games work. I can see it hurts your collective pride too much to think this, but someone needed to say it. Just take your account and item database data and start over. I can see we arent going to work together so... see youz
You didn't even reply to overtures like
Crush wrote:When you have ideas how the netcode could be improved through movement prediction I would be very interested in your long version.
If you're a great programmer, you didn't demonstrate it. You did demonstrate an utter lack of respect for others, a failure to participate in basic dialogue, and no patience or interest to establish working relationships.

I've worked with people who program brilliantly but lack any ability to work on a team or even to see other people as peers. They don't stay long. Even a starving man is foolish to eat poison.
FTFY.

Oh, and ... you can't just create a new account when things aren't going your way. We don't appreciate your sockpuppetry.

One would think that someone of your alleged expertise would have heard of an IP log.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

alanamorphus wrote: I can't give you any real code unless you pay me but I'm willing to explain this or that a little.
No one is paid for efforts here, ever.
We have this crazy idea that software should be free. Your post is licensed GPL just by posting here =]
We do not charge for this honor.

Given that there are 3 different clients for a game with a small player-base...seems people understand it pretty well...I should say 5 clients, but 3 are used the most.
A little of this and that are what created this.
Beyond that without real code contributions, seems like a useless statement, what are you saying?
*"I'd help you if?"
*"I'm unwilling to help but? let me criticize your 100% volunteer development system?"
*"I have been trolling like this for 20+ years?"

Don't get me wrong, we welcome anyone willing to submit a patch for git or even great ideas,
but probably, no one will put out effort if you do not at least put out some effort to match.