Ways to sync the clients so the game will look better?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

bogus
Newly Registered User

Ways to sync the clients so the game will look better?

Post by bogus »

Zones? Server snaphots it can use to rewind time? Statistics on each client's latencies?
If these things are not in the game it would probably mean you'd need to gut the server and remake it from scratch pretty much. The design would be from scratch, but I guess half of the code would stay relevant. Please see my other thread if you want to talk about the idea of a server rewrite :wink:
*>* Professor Farnsworth: You can't just waltz into the Central Bureaucracy. It's a tangled web of red tape and regulations. I've never been, but a friend of mine went completely mad trying to find the washroom there.
Leela: Then we'll need a guide, someone who's been there before.
Professor Farnsworth: Oh, I've been there. Lots of times.
[laughs maniacally]
*>*
bogus
Newly Registered User

Re: Ways to sync the clients so the game will look better?

Post by bogus »

not one reply? really? Not any "what's a zone?" or "We already do that!". Shame. If you come across my game in the future and decide that I'm the kind of guy you wish would give you tips on how to redesign this.. ..just ask. How will you know it's me? I'll mention this in the credits lol.
*>* Professor Farnsworth: You can't just waltz into the Central Bureaucracy. It's a tangled web of red tape and regulations. I've never been, but a friend of mine went completely mad trying to find the washroom there.
[laughs maniacally]
*>*
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

There's nothing wrong with the way the clients sync; both server and client send messages that involve current and destination position, and use the same algorithm to calculate the walkpath.

I mentioned this in your other thread. I do not like repeating myself; among other things, it causes people to say I am condescending.
bogus wrote:I'm the kind of guy you wish would give you tips on how to redesign this
That quote is so condescending. Words count for nothing when seeking a position; show the code, that's how I got mine.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

bogus wrote:not one reply? really? Not any "what's a zone?" or "We already do that!". Shame. If you come across my game in the future and decide that I'm the kind of guy you wish would give you tips on how to redesign this.. ..just ask. How will you know it's me? I'll mention this in the credits lol.
I am sorry that you deemed us unworthy of your wise preachings, oh great messiah who came out of nowhere to bring us salvation.

May you find a flock more willing to crown you their king the moment you insult their work.

[/sarcasm]

So far you were only sprouting buzzwords and insulting our work, but you didn't show us just one constructive concept. You keep telling us that we have "no idea how games work" and need to "redesign everything from scratch", but you didn't make one design proposal with an explanation how things could be done in a significantly better way.

When you want us to take you seriously, show us that you really know what you are talking about.

Write a detailed concept or commit some patches to show us that you really have skills and are not just talk. Until then don't expect us to believe you that you are just 1% as as awesome as you say you are.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
bogus
Newly Registered User

Post by bogus »

That guy said nothing like he wanted a flock or to be crowned king. He was trying to help and you didn't even start to take advantage of that. What if he was John Carmack? What if he was the lead coder for world of warcraft? I don't think he wanted friendship I think he wanted to work with you. He never said you would think he was "the kind of guy you wish would give you tips on how to redesign this". He said IF you do. Mr bogus if you read this keep in mind I just got here. You could be talentless or supernatural. I want to hear what you would do to create zones and how the zones would resolve issues.
[laughs maniacally]
*>*
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

alanamorphus wrote:That guy
Stop pretending you're not the same person; we've already IP checked you.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

Speaking using the third person is an official sign of mental unstability, Bertram said.
So, for your own sake, he is warning that you should stop that.
I want to hear what you would do to create zones and how the zones would resolve issues
Well, if M. Bogus is talented in c++ and design, I guess the best would be to wait for his first proposal, which of course,
will enter smoothly in the current design. And then he will start making a proof of his concept, changing stuff little by little, with cleanly made and described commits in his personal forks on github.

I wish him good luck.

Regards,
bogus
Newly Registered User

Post by bogus »

A guy has to ask himself questions because all the people here are either afraid of how stupid they will seem or all too sure they already have done the best anyone can do that they will never ask. Would you like me to spoof my ip as well? I thought about it for half a second and decided it wasen't worth the five clicks of effort. You win. I'll wait for you to present me with an issue. ..waiting..still waiting... I'm not going to write the code for you. If you none of you can use c/c++ I can still tell you the concepts that make games such as world of warcraft work in great detail. That would be overkill but many of the concepts work well in a 2d game. I remember the simulated 3d of ultima online when it was invented. The invention of the "zone" was the key there.
You know what? forget it. I'm done fighting you knuckle draggers. Your game is crap and so is your attitude. You don't want help so just sit a few more years in your filth. The basic idea is fine but in every catagory you have failed. I can write a better server in a week. I can design a better enviroment in a single day, complete with economy and level progressions. Even charity finds no home here! Pathetic.
[laughs maniacally]
*>*
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

See you in a week and a day, then.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

bogus wrote:A guy has to ask himself questions because all the people here are either afraid of how stupid they will seem or all too sure they already have done the best anyone can do that they will never ask. Would you like me to spoof my ip as well? I thought about it for half a second and decided it wasen't worth the five clicks of effort. You win. I'll wait for you to present me with an issue. ..waiting..still waiting... I'm not going to write the code for you. If you none of you can use c/c++ I can still tell you the concepts that make games such as world of warcraft work in great detail. That would be overkill but many of the concepts work well in a 2d game. I remember the simulated 3d of ultima online when it was invented. The invention of the "zone" was the key there.
You know what? forget it. I'm done fighting you knuckle draggers. Your game is crap and so is your attitude. You don't want help so just sit a few more years in your filth. The basic idea is fine but in every catagory you have failed. I can write a better server in a week. I can design a better enviroment in a single day, complete with economy and level progressions. Even charity finds no home here! Pathetic.
Those who can, do. Those who cant, teach. Those who cant teach, tell people how to do it on the internet.
sexy red bearded GM
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Bertram wrote:Well, if M. Bogus is talented in c++ and design, I guess the best would be to wait for his first proposal, which of course,
will enter smoothly in the current design. And then he will start making a proof of his concept, changing stuff little by little, with cleanly made and described commits in his personal forks on github.
Big Crunch wrote:Those who can, do. Those who cant, teach. Those who cant teach, tell people how to do it on the internet.
Eh eh, as I'm also concerned, I'll keep quiet now. ;)