Bow Sound

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Bow Sound

Post by Jenalya »

It'd be nice if someone could work on one or several new bow sounds, since the current one is annoying.
Several sounds because there was a discussion in IRC to add a feature to the client to allow randomly using a sound from a pool of sounds, this would make it less dreary.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Bow Sound

Post by o11c »

For the actual sound, "steal" the one from wesnoth (one of the rare projects that also uses GPL data).
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Is the animation a pull and release? If there's a little breakdown of the timings for when it's pulled and released, I could try to do something.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Last edited by Nard on 26 Dec 2011, 16:23, edited 2 times in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When doing sound design, it's less important to get the sound which is realistic, and more important to get the sound the audience expects to hear.

See http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... onutEffect
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

I chose these ones because it is what I expect to hear from a bow, because they are short enough to stay synchronous with the actual bow speed and are sufficiently unobtrusive to be compatible with music.
I don't expect to hear a wooden rod vibrating against a table when an arrow hits the rotten flesh of a zombie.
To be Improved the sound effect should have at least a hit sound and a miss sound. :/

Now about the other weapon sound. Knives and dagger should have no sound fx, just as in movies, their sound could be used as sword sound instead (less loud in my opinion).
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

dariunas wrote:Is the animation a pull and release? If there's a little breakdown of the timings for when it's pulled and released, I could try to do something.
It doesn't look like having a pull and release part, but only one sound event:

Code: Select all

<item id="31"
        weapon_type="10">
        <sprite>weapon-bow.xml</sprite>
        <sound event="strike">weapons/bows/bow_shoot_1.ogg</sound>
    </item>
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Post by Derpella »

Crush wrote:When doing sound design, it's less important to get the sound which is realistic, and more important to get the sound the audience expects to hear.

See http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... onutEffect
Of course, but that doesn't mean it has to be superannoying...
Besides, if I remember well, this particular sound was used when you were out of arrows. It was good- annoying sound of "empty" bow was a very noticable alert, that something is not right. Now this useful effect is broken...
I'm Image too much.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

I agree, the ear lends a lot of credibility to sounds which are not realistic. What is really important is that it comes together to create a tight feel is a good sound-to-visual match.

I have brought up the matter of sound FX mapping in another thread. At the moment, the suggestion for various actions for various weapons is way too much.

There should really be:

- a couple of 'hurt' sounds per enemy. (low and high damage) - this would also be the successful attack effect.
- a 'swing' type sound for a weapon on its own - would also double as a miss.

(these weren't the only suggestions - I think there's more in the original thread)
Last edited by dariunas on 30 Jun 2012, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy345
Newly Registered User

Post by Tommy345 »

i new here! i really got lot of information from you... thats really great works! :lol: