45 Player sprite New [wip] ~ meway

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

45 Player sprite New [wip] ~ meway

Post by meway »

Anyone is welcome to help create this player sprite.
Don't make silly comments like, Great!, Good job keep it up!.
Comments from well respected graphics artist are welcome as long as you say whats wrong with the art or try your own hand at the art.
Anyone who does not know what there talking about or is off topic I will quote you and say "offtopic" I would like to keep this a very clean and unpolluted work area. If your not going to participate with this sub project you have no buisness pressing post reply button.
The goal is to simply create a player sprite in 45 degree angle. After that task is complete I will begin drawing clothing. Below is an REQ

Walking --
attacking --
Sitting --

Anything that may be supported but we have not added to the game. example: walking diagonally ??

//Note: This is not well shaded, Its lightsource is odd, The idea is to complete the animation before any real work is done. The next step here would be cutting it into peaces to animate. Head, Arms, Legs, Torso, other bits.
Attachments
45degreesprite.png
45degreesprite.png (1.17 KiB) Viewed 4591 times
45degreesprite.png
45degreesprite.png (1.13 KiB) Viewed 4592 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: 45 Player sprite New [wip] ~ meway

Post by Crush »

It looks more like a sand- or mud golem than a human character sprite. But as such it could work pretty well.

When you are sure you want to create a new playerset instead of a just vaguely humanoid monster sprite, you should study human anatomy. Sure, video game sprites tend to be cartoonish. They tend to have larger heads and thicker limbs than real humans. But even though cartoons have inhumane proportions, their individual parts are still human-like. The key to becomming a good cartoonist is to learn how to draw in a realistic style first and then learn what to change and simplify to get the desired cartoon effect. You need to know the rules before you can break them. Doing a "how to draw the human body" drawing tutorial (there are a lot of these online) could show you what you did wrong.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

meway.png
meway.png (4.71 KiB) Viewed 4573 times
meway I butchered it, cut and paste. scale image...all the bad stuff.

shortened the legs lowered the eyes etc.

gnn.png
gnn.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 4573 times
this was a sprite base I did for for a gnome NPC
to show the eyes a bit I cheated by tilting the head so he watches you, maybe useful idk.
its a bit of a forced perspective where the feet get smaller ect.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I realy like how this thread is going ! :) Here is an attempt to get it into perspective.
Attachments
45degreesprite.png
45degreesprite.png (1.14 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
Lizandra
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Lizandra »

I made a NPC with the 45º perspective, maybe it helps
Attachments
Bodyguard_elf_wip.png
Bodyguard_elf_wip.png (1.7 KiB) Viewed 4326 times

"Perspective is everything"

Level 76!

skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

call me crazy but i thought i redo the player sprite and now need to edit gear Oo.

-skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
cardmaster
Novice
Novice

Post by cardmaster »

skipy wrote:call me crazy but i thought i redo the player sprite and now need to edit gear Oo.

-skipy
True, redoing sprites means redoing all gears.
In Game Name:
zack fair 199
Zackox
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Here is a more human like sprite. I'm trying to work out a good base outline for a 45 degree sprite. I lost the source to the blend file but this is what its based on. http://imagebin.org/198650
Attachments
true45.png
true45.png (1.26 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Here is an update on some frames.
Attachments
animation.gif
animation.gif (2.06 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
452.png
452.png (3.62 KiB) Viewed 4090 times
Last edited by meway on 14 Feb 2012, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

meway wrote:Here is an update on some frames.
It just copy the actual sprite, maybe you could change some frame shapes? Like for the sitting...
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Reid wrote:
meway wrote:Here is an update on some frames.
It just copy the actual sprite, maybe you could change some frame shapes? Like for the sitting...
Please be clear when you post here, Please provide an effort to help with the project, Please explain why you believe something is wrong. Suggestions are welcome statements are not. Especially statements that reflect negativly..

Alteration of the sprites shape is a good suggestion for the record. I will see what I can do when I get into better detail.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The standing pose and the walking animation both look very unnatural. More like a robot than a human.

I also don't think that such realistic proportions fit well into the rather cartoonish graphic style of TMW.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Bjorn suggested I use an older NPC. I'm trying to convert it to a 45 degree and nudify him. The shading is not up for discussion this early in development of course (I know the lighting is off).
Attachments
stuff.png
stuff.png (2.21 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

These are character sprites made by ~Coolkid782 for Evol Online (I am not sure about the license, so assume all rights reserved until you read something else).
evolonline_playerset_backview_by_coolkid782-d45qsuk.png
evolonline_playerset_backview_by_coolkid782-d45qsuk.png (1.66 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
evolonline_playerset_frontview_by_coolkid782-d45qruz.png
evolonline_playerset_frontview_by_coolkid782-d45qruz.png (1.89 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
I think that they capture both the TMW style as well as the 45° perspective very well.
  • NOT a game master

skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

cardmaster wrote:
skipy wrote:call me crazy but i thought i redo the player sprite and now need to edit gear Oo.

-skipy
True, redoing sprites means redoing all gears.
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =8&t=11223 ?????????????
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana