TEST: Blue Sage

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

baedamichi
Novice
Novice

Re: TEST: Blue Sage

Post by baedamichi »

Jenalya wrote:I just added several new snow maps done by PjotrOrial.
Use

Code: Select all

@warp 046-1 95 116
to get to the start of the first one, all others can be reached from that one.
I guess even the word several is a bit of an understatement here.... It's more like a whole new world has been added...

Thanks PjotrOrial!

I don't know if what I found is a bug or intended for testing purposes, but I report it anyway: One warp seems like a one-way warp to me... I had no trouble walking through it southwards, but when I wanted to go back, the warp was suddenly gone.

Just see the screenshot, I hope I picked the right kind of map view mode in ManaPlus to make this visible for you.
Attachments
ManaPlus_Screenshot_2.jpg
ManaPlus_Screenshot_2.jpg (220.32 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
ZdlN
Novice
Novice

Post by ZdlN »

baedamichi wrote:- One White Slime dropped a Silver Mirror, quite an unusuable item, it's not used in the quest, is it?
[...]
One thing which was a bit irritating at first was the fact that the "mini-slimes" trying to protect their nest hit you, deduct hit points, but those hit points are not indicated in the usual way (a red number flying above your head...). So at first I was a bit shocked when my health had gone down without me noticing, but I guess players can get used to this.
These slimes are the same Slimes sliding around in Nivalis on the official Server. There they put the same materials (so also things not necessary to the quest) :wink:
And i think the Player see this slimes in the area before playing this - so he/she know this deceitfulness :wink:
"What's a philosopher? A man who opposes nature against law, reason against custom, his consciousness against public opinion, and its judgment against error."
Sébastien-Roch Nicolas de Chamfort (6 avril 1740-13 avril 1794)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge, because knowledge is limited"
Albert Einstein (14.03.1879-18.04.1955)

both translated by the player Nard
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

baedamichi, thanks for this detailed feedback! :)
I just updated the testserver with some changes:
- Mirjami has a different dialogue when you completed the slime hunting subquest
- fixed the spelling errors you pointed out (including the next instead of nest)
- reduced the amounts of dyes needed on feedback from Derpella, to reduce the need of herb gathering
baedamichi wrote:I killed the slimes in the library, gave the librarians all the material to repair their books and finished the investigation, I guess those are the three subquests, right?
There's just two things which leave me wondering if I'm really finished:
- Mirjiami is still unhappily looking for cleaning gear.
- One White Slime dropped a Silver Mirror, quite an unusuable item, it's not used in the quest, is it?
I'm thinking about collecting of the bookpages and the material as two different subquests, but if you see them as one, there are three subquests, right. Generally you can talk to Sage Nikolai to get hints on your progress, before you started he asks you to help, while you're doing the quests, he offers hints on the subquests and gives you rewards and when you're done with the entire quest, he says "Thanks for all your help.".
Mirjiami doesn't offer a task, but only adds some atmosphere. I added some dialogue to make that more clear.
Right, the Silver Mirrors aren't used in this quest, they might be involved in some other quest later.
baedamichi wrote:While I think the quest might be a bit difficult for a lvl 60 player, especially when playing solo, we want a challenge, don't we?
Remember that level 60 is the minimum level, not the recommended level. :wink: It's rather intended for level 70 and above, but you can already start it earlier.
baedamichi wrote: I personally don't like the idea of being randomly killed without having any influence on it (running, healing items, fighting), but since it doesn't happen too often (just three times to me throughout the whole slime killing action) I guess I can live (or die :lol: ) with it.
That part is a bit nasty, but I didn't have another idea to prevent one player being able to instantly spawn endless slimes for others to kill.
baedamichi wrote: One thing which was a bit irritating at first was the fact that the "mini-slimes" trying to protect their nest hit you, deduct hit points, but those hit points are not indicated in the usual way (a red number flying above your head...). So at first I was a bit shocked when my health had gone down without me noticing, but I guess players can get used to this.
Yeah, we already noticed that problem when the slimes were introduced with the snow area release in February. As far as I know it has something to do with the information about the damage not being sent properly from the server to the client... o11c, did you do something about that?
baedamichi wrote: Music will be added, right? Felt a bit like in the bandit's cave there for a while. ;)
Actually there's already music, but the testserver doesn't provide it, to reduce the amount of data needed to be downloaded. And this reminds me that I planned to add music to the bandit cave since ages. :wink:
baedamichi wrote: I don't know if what I found is a bug or intended for testing purposes, but I report it anyway: One warp seems like a one-way warp to me... I had no trouble walking through it southwards, but when I wanted to go back, the warp was suddenly gone.
That warp isn't enabled yet, since the maps are already in the main repo. In case we need a restart (e.g. for an urgent bugfix), we can just include the maps, but it won't be accessable because there's no warp.
baedamichi wrote:In this screenshot, it says "... that you extinguished this next" instead of "that you extinguished this neSt". I'm sorry I can't be of any more help, but I can't really tell how to reproduce this, sometimes it said "nest", sometimes it said "next", I tried quite some times, but it does neither seem to depend on the kind of slimes you killed (white, blue), nor on the specific location in the library where you did it.
Each slime spawn has its own script, and some of them had 'next', some 'nest'. Good catch!

About the spelling errors, I corrected the ones you found, but I suppose there are some more. There'll be a spelling and grammar check by a native speaker once it's very likely that I won't need to change the dialogue of the scripts anymore.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

No need for screenshots, but the name+location of the NPC (using /where) and the typo+correction are enough.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I just updated the testserver with some graphic and map updates, using the tileset changes done by Derpella and varuna.

Also I changed the subquest where you had to bring dye, now you have to collect other things as ingredients for making ink.

And I did some fixes based on review from o11c. This included some changes in the slime spawn scripts, so it'd be good if you could test them again.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

The quest should be ready for release now, thanks to the spellcheck done by Pihro. It's available on the testserver for a last check.
The release is planned to happen on the weekend. :)
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I just put some debug functions for the slimes on the testserver.
You can drink a cactus drink to reset the cleared spawn points.
Everytime you step on a spawn point, you get some messages containing information about what part of the script just got executed and the state of some variables.

This way people with some technical knowledge can try out the scripts without needing a local testserver.
Ideas about what might be the problem are welcome.
baedamichi
Novice
Novice

Post by baedamichi »

Jenalya wrote:I just put some debug functions for the slimes on the testserver.
You can drink a cactus potion to reset the cleared spawn points.
I think it's a Cactus DRINK, just wanted to mention that for all people out there testing this... :mrgreen:

Well, I tested this for some time and had a look at the messages displayed...
I got the impression that as soon as you step on the trigger tile for a second time during the process of fighting the slimes (which is unavoidable when fighting as an archer or a mage...), from that moment on kills are simply not counted anymore.
I had a look at the script, but unfortunately I'm too stupid to understand it to a full extent...
So I wonder if there's a way to find out if it's really the trigger tile (or rather the fact that I'm moving at all...).

If I make myself invisible using gm commands, will I still trigger the trigger tiles? And would this be a method to test at all, I mean, does the kill count ignore invisible people or not? :?:

Anyway, I'm into further testing, so I'd also be glad about hints from people who understand the script better than I do as to what exactly I could or should do to achieve a systematic approach to finding out what the problem really is.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

baedamichi wrote:
Jenalya wrote:I just put some debug functions for the slimes on the testserver.
You can drink a cactus potion to reset the cleared spawn points.
I think it's a Cactus DRINK, just wanted to mention that for all people out there testing this... :mrgreen:

Well, I tested this for some time and had a look at the messages displayed...
I got the impression that as soon as you step on the trigger tile for a second time during the process of fighting the slimes (which is unavoidable when fighting as an archer or a mage...), from that moment on kills are simply not counted anymore.
I had a look at the script, but unfortunately I'm too stupid to understand it to a full extent...
So I wonder if there's a way to find out if it's really the trigger tile (or rather the fact that I'm moving at all...).

If I make myself invisible using gm commands, will I still trigger the trigger tiles? And would this be a method to test at all, I mean, does the kill count ignore invisible people or not? :?:

Anyway, I'm into further testing, so I'd also be glad about hints from people who understand the script better than I do as to what exactly I could or should do to achieve a systematic approach to finding out what the problem really is.
Not understanding the scripts does not make you stupid; ask developers :lol:
Now I didn't yet test again on testing server but I had another (reproducable) weird thing on main. As a healer I tried to help home players. I sit on the spot; the player attacks slimes, then, without receiving anything from my side,some slimes or all in case of white ones, attack me. :roll:

Nard
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

@baedamichi: script reference is here:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... _Reference
It is a bit laconic, thus even the best skilled content developers will doubtless say you they had difficulties with it. :/

Johanne discovered another slight issue (main server):
After you gathered and gave all book-repair required items and got the grimoire, there is still "I brought some materials to repair the books" in Nikolai proposed answers; And Nikolai still answers that "[...] not everyone has all they need yet".

Cody's trick Update (main server):
Cody's trick works too as long as you stand on the trigger tile before killing the last slime reproduced with 3 chars now :)

Nard
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

baedamichi wrote:I think it's a Cactus DRINK, just wanted to mention that for all people out there testing this... :mrgreen:
Oops, right. I corrected my post above, thanks for pointing this out.
baedamichi wrote: Well, I tested this for some time and had a look at the messages displayed...
From what I've observed it sometimes would count kills even if you ran over the trigger tile, but it seems all very random, which makes it nasty.
Regarding understanding the script, there is a reference in the wiki as Nard already said, the explanations there are rather short. In this file http://wiki.themanaworld.org/images/9/97/Scripthelp.txt are more detailed informations, though this document refers to some version of eAthena, so there might be information contained that doesn't apply to tmwAthena.
Maybe those references can help you to understand some of the script, if you have a specific question, I can try to explain. :)

This is the explanation of the feature that seems to be the problem in the slimes script.
*areamonster "<map name>",<x1>,<y1>,<x2>,<y2>,"<name to show>",<mob id>,<amount>{,"<event label>"};
[...]
The only very special thing about this command is an event label, which is an
optional parameter. This label is written like '<NPC object name>::<label name>'
and upon the monster being killed, it will execute the script inside of the
specified NPC object starting from the label given. The RID of the player
attached at this execution will be the RID of the killing character.
baedamichi wrote:If I make myself invisible using gm commands, will I still trigger the trigger tiles? And would this be a method to test at all, I mean, does the kill count ignore invisible people or not? :?:
Most scripting commands doesn't care if the player is invisible or hidden.
Nard wrote:Johanne discovered another slight issue:
After you gathered and gave all book-repair required items and got the grimoire, there is still "I brought some materials to repair the books" in Nikolai proposed answers; And Nikolai still answers that "[...] not everyone has all they need yet".
I'll have a look at this when I come home this afternoon. :)
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I just restarted the testserver, taking out the debug stuff again and adding those fixes and changes:

- seperated slime trigger and slime spawn in different NPCs, so the OnDeath label work now. Thanks for the hint, varuna! :)
- make the slime subquest more verbose as suggested by Nard and Hello=), you now get a message when you trigger a spawn, so you know it's 'your' nest and Pyry gives hints on how many nests you already cleared
- fixed the error on Nikolai's dialogue logic reported by Johanne and Nard
- fixed the weight of the Ice Gladius reported by v0id

I'll talk to the admins to see when we can have a restart to bring those changes in.