Client Dialog

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Anime Faces or Pixel Faces?

Anime Face
26%
Pixel Face
61%
Doesn't Matter
13%

Total votes: 61
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Client Dialog

Post by o11c »

Korcha wrote:Has anyone even started the grueling, tedious process of coloring them in yet? Also, y u no giv me moar 2 do?
There's no one else around to do that.

If you're not willing to, they probably won't ever get in-game.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Korcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Korcha »

I specifically stated a boatload of times that I would create whatever was needed as long as someone else would cover the rest. Which to begin with, isn't even that difficult than say, creating something entirely from scratch. Anyone can do it, even you.

Honestly though, I really-really don't understand why this wasn't brought up earlier.. The same thing happened with the portrait sizes. I tried, I really did, though apparently TMW standards far exceed that of any small group. Whatever way you look at it, help is help. Take what you can get, and don't get stubborn. You don't know if/when you'll find another artist as willing.

I hate to say it but until someone fills those shoes, I'm done, with these and anything else that I am currently working on, indefinitely. I'm not leaving though, so go ahead an PM me or post here (doesn't matter which) when you finally get someone competent enough to do so and I'll happily continue where I left off.

Adios
The most active, unofficial, TMW Pixel Artist
TMW contributor? Have a vision but lack the art? In need of assistance? What the fudge are you waiting for! Drop me a PM, bro!
GPL and CC-BY-SA approved, use what you will as long as credit is given.

AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

I know it's disheartening to draw a bunch of awesome art and not have anyone around to help finish it.

Please keep in mind that right now a lot of the content people are currently working on a rather large Tulimshar area expansion project. Perhaps when they are done with that someone may have time to help complete the projects you've started.

Also.. Not everyone can draw up a whole bunch of art like that in just a few days! Give people a chance to catch up!

You may want to join #themanaworld-dev on Freenode IRC and talk to some people about it.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Dont give up, currently i have been busy with other things for tmw other wise i would attempt to try, maybe i will attempt to try if i get bored with the egyptian project...but others might want to join this project to. For example i wanted this in game but i did not have the skill or time to draw so many npcs so fast or as good as yours. You came along and did very well and what was needed but dont like dealing with color...maybe a pixel artist will show up and help with the pixel colors. If not i can probably color the bases of what the colors should be like according to the npcs..

regards,
Chicka
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Korcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Korcha »

I was just disappointed that I was being asked, by someone on the dev team to create npc portraits, only to be told by another dev that the one who can put them in doesn't want to over color/shading issues, even though I said countless times that I don't color anymore. I just wished I was told this sooner, like at the very beginning.

Anyways, I thought I'd give them some new life. I don't wanna take off until the remaining few are complete, even if they never get used, it'll at least have kept me busy.
Now regarding the second sword, it is the Brother's sword, I realized way-way after the completion of the first one that the 2 sacred swords are actually related, so I started work on the brother. So yeah, here they are:
TMW contributor? Have a vision but lack the art? In need of assistance? What the fudge are you waiting for! Drop me a PM, bro!

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

If TMW have no use for your work, think about publishing these portrait to OpenGameArt, I'm sure that some game developers will be whiling to adapt your work for their game... :)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Reid wrote:If TMW have no use for your work, think about publishing these portrait to OpenGameArt, I'm sure that some game developers will be whiling to adapt your work for their game... :)
We have a use for it, but only if it's colored. We said this long ago.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Korcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Korcha »

And I've been saying what I've been saying from the very beginning, too. Heck, I even told Chicka from the very start that coloring was not in the cards, that I only supply the building blocks. She said it was fine. It's not like I just mentioned it now.

Now if you folks ever find someone that can cover the color/shading side of things while I continue working on whatever I'm given, sure. I can also assist them along the way if they ever get stuck on something. I wouldn't mind, I can color small things every now and then, just nothing full blown. I just don't have the patience anymore, I'm afraid.

You could accomplish so much more just by assigning your inexperienced artist to coloring/shading instead of giving them crippling tasks. Think of it like a coloring book. Instead of denying me, work with me here. =3
Reid wrote:If TMW have no use for your work, think about publishing these portrait to OpenGameArt, I'm sure that some game developers will be whiling to adapt your work for their game... :)
I made them specifically for TMW/sister projects. If anything I'll just use them as a reference for if/when I find something else that compels me down the road. But don't be confused though, anyone can use them if they so wish. =3

Korcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Korcha »

I've started marking the portraits (a different color) that have gotten a significant amount of my attention. This way they are way easier to spot. The other portraits have been tweaked/cleaned up. I'll be back with more whenever (usually 1 to 2 days).

Now if you still cannot see the difference, open gimp/gal and copy both images, then undo/redo like a madman.

Korcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Korcha »

The most I can do (without the monies) is shade the portraits with an extra color and someone else willing to, would fill in the rest. If you cannot even do that, well, enjoy the free doodles. =3

For the less imaginative, this is what the process would look like. Rejoice, most of the portraits where drawn with a nose in mind, lol. Pretty neat, eh?

Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

I really like the shading/color used in the picture with the nose but for some reason I think they would look better without one lol I don't know about anybody else but im used to tmw npcs having no nose x) it would be nice to get opinions on the matter though.

as usual nice work korcha

regards,
Yubaba
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Firstly, Korcha: Love your work, looks really nice!

Secondly: I like the style of the nose, since there are no noses on the NPC's in the sprites I like the discreet nose style. Without any noses i think that it looks kind of weird - works well for the sprites because of the small size but in those portraits where there are loads more pixels to play around with i think that they should have noses.
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
Korcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Korcha »

It was more of a design choice if anything. Got the idea from some of the old (TMW) concept art I stumbled upon when I first started the portraits. I just stuck with it I guess. Though it can easily be changed if necessary. Anyways, I'm unofficially done working on these for now.
Chicka-Maria wrote:I really like the shading/color used in the picture with the nose but for some reason I think they would look better without one lol I don't know about anybody else but im used to tmw npcs having no nose x) it would be nice to get opinions on the matter though.
The nose was just a joke, hence the "lol" after it, you silly. But yeah, the 3rd panel is how I usually shade/color, if I were to of course. =3

Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

I know it took a while but I'm finally starting to get some things done from projects that need to be. I'm not done them all, but here are some colored dialog frames..More will show up shortly.

regards,
Attachments
mininpcportraits.png
mininpcportraits.png (259.6 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Not sure if we are still using these (later on) but i did some more color in other portraits on my spare time.
Attachments
mininpcportraits.png
mininpcportraits.png (266.6 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
Yubaba