Client Dialog

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Anime Faces or Pixel Faces?

Anime Face
26%
Pixel Face
61%
Doesn't Matter
13%

Total votes: 61
Korcha
Novice
Novice

Re: Client Dialog

Post by Korcha »

Think of an overly exaggerated top-down view, that's what you're seeing. I'll change it though, since I'm positive other folks maybe seeing something else, too.
The most active, unofficial, TMW Pixel Artist
TMW contributor? Have a vision but lack the art? In need of assistance? What the fudge are you waiting for! Drop me a PM, bro!
GPL and CC-BY-SA approved, use what you will as long as credit is given.

Korcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Korcha »

D-d-d-d-double trouble!
One hot sloppy mess this is, but aren't they always at first? Just look at 'em all, 70+ portraits and still going strong!
Who would've thought we'd make it this far, eh? :3

TMW contributor? Have a vision but lack the art? In need of assistance? What the fudge are you waiting for! Drop me a PM, bro!

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Much better, thanks a lot!
Now, do you intend to colorize all of the avatars? If not, better not do it to any of them.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Chicka-Maria wrote:just so people don't think i forgot about this project i'm posting a sample of what i'm doing with the portraits..it still needs a lot of work like shade and details in her dress (boobs i suppose) but ill do it soon. Heres a sample and [WIP] of sagatha..

Also...should i use more anime features for the face? or should i leave game features? (i know leaving game features would make them look more unique)..or should i just do a whole different pose and style with the pictures?
I started playing around with larger scale I got lazy so this is incomplete idk if this is useful. lol.
Attachments
tmw.png
tmw.png (16.11 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

tux9th wrote:I love those.
Pixel pictures suit the game. I'll vote for those!
Agreed. Besides I prefer those in my personal opinion, everything else than pixels would not fit with TMW.

Btw nice pictures so far! ;)
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Slight update
Attachments
tmw.png
tmw.png (23.38 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Her neck is broken. Her left hand is to big though I will assume thats just the sketch and will be fixed in the future. The viewpoint is very boring, and lacks depth, it's just a side view. The linework is not clean either. Her face doesn't have any lines at all, while the linework at her hair is very thick and visible (and not smooth). Her hair is just one piece instead of "hair pieces" (my english sucks, so I don't know the right word :P ), making it look weird. So basically it sucks.

Because her anatomy is not good, and the viewpoint is boring, even if you finish, correct mistakes like her hair and hand, it will still suck I think. I would suggest to completely start over (preferable in a different thread), choose an exciting viewpoint (not completely sideview, head-on, etc) and make sure her anatomy is correct before coloring and shading it.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I'm using ms paint. But on that note. I probably should have used a different thread as my main focus is trying to draw large objects and be able to shade them. It is just a concept drawing and your very right lol.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Drawing people is the hardest thing there is, because it really leaves no room for error. Humans interpret body language and facial expressions subconsciously (we do in fact have separate brain areas just for that), and they feel it when there is something which just can't be.

When you want to learn how to draw people well, I would recommend you to do some figure drawing to get a feeling for body proportions and posture.

Even when your goal is to draw cartoonish artwork, the best way to get into it is to start learning to draw in a realistic style. Yes, cartoon drawings break conventions of reality by oversimplifying details and morphing proportions. But you need to understand these conventions to know how you can break them for what effect.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

This is why I love Korcha's work, even if I'm unsure the anime style fits the game. The emotions on the characters faces give them personality and it seems quite whimsical overall. The loud old men make me grin.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

His work is really great. I wonder if he minds my hand at shadding any of those lol.
Korcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Korcha »

Go right ahead, that's what they were specifically made for, coloring/shading. By the way, it's always cool to see folks who still use MS Paint, especially XP. :3
Alige wrote:Much better, thanks a lot!
Now, do you intend to colorize all of the avatars? If not, better not do it to any of them.
nah, I tend to just experiment occasionally, pay no mind to it. Plus my shading is radically different than what you guys are use too, it would look outta place.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna focus primarily on the old portraits rather than the new ones. There's quite a few that I've been meaning to get to, but I either ran outta time or forgot about them entirely. If I have time, I'll also tackle the recent ones, as I don't wanna leave them behind, either. Also, don't mind the jaggz, I'll get to them eventually.

Korcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Korcha »

Would have liked it if I got more done, but y'know, dat artist's block. I'll be back tomorrow with moar... maybe. :3
Also, double post!

Korcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Korcha »

Hi! :3

Korcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Korcha »

Holy shoot! 4 posts in a row, baby! When do I get my loneliness award, hmm? Thankfully though, the page cuts off. :3
Also, what's the deal with Kieron? He has like 3 different poses. Are they all him? I only drew him because I saw him with Georgie boy.

...and shouldn't it have been anime face vs. realistic face, though it sounds more like you meant vector vs. pixel art.