Client Dialog

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Anime Faces or Pixel Faces?

Anime Face
26%
Pixel Face
61%
Doesn't Matter
13%

Total votes: 61
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Client Dialog

Post by Chicka-Maria »

After talking with bertram it was of my own knowledge that the npc dialog box and shop display can be changed into something more appropriate (decorated and interesting) though im not a programmer myself i think this would be a very good idea to consider because from what alot of players have told me they do not read the npc dialog boxes, which is a shame since our developers spend so much time on scripting. I think part of the reason why they dont read is because the npc dialog boxes look boring and unattractive. maybe a picture and background change would help. I will post images below of examples.
Attachments
home2.pg.jpg
home2.pg.jpg (61.62 KiB) Viewed 5997 times
game2_2.jpg
game2_2.jpg (66.69 KiB) Viewed 5997 times
22-capture_30102010_105543.png
22-capture_30102010_105543.png (13.04 KiB) Viewed 5997 times
Last edited by Chicka-Maria on 30 Jun 2012, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Client Dialog

Post by Crush »

So your suggestion is adding NPC portraits to dialogs?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

npc portraits and maybe a nice display background possibly for each town?
Yubaba
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

While the protocol doesn't support that, it wouldn't be difficult to figure something out. Like using magic strings in dialog texts to control image output.

The big problem would be the portraits themselves. A big library of NPC portraits would have to be created. The images would have to be pretty big, the very minimum would be at least 100x100 pixels (size of my forum picture), larger would be better. Portrait painting is where the individual style of an artist becomes most apparent. Ideally, all portraits would be drawn by the same person. But you know how much personnel rotation we have. So it would be very important to develop and define a consistent style which can be immitated easily but is still visually appealing.

tl;dr: What you suggest is an enormous undertaking for graphics development.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Crush wrote:While the protocol doesn't support that, it wouldn't be difficult to figure something out. Like using magic strings in dialog texts to control image output.
I agree, adding a feature rarely was the "hard" part of the work needed.

Crush wrote:The big problem would be the portraits themselves. A big library of NPC portraits would have to be created.
I think that if done, not all NPCs should have a portrait, only the ones who are directly linked to the main quest or history of the game.

Crush wrote:The images would have to be pretty big, the very minimum would be at least 100x100 pixels (size of my forum picture), larger would be better.
I don't see why portraits should be bigger than 100x100px.

Crush wrote:What you suggest is an enormous undertaking for graphics development.
I agree, and note that we don't have any senior artists active enough to do a such work since a lot of other projects are already being worked on. I suggest you, Chicka-Maria, to go and see Evol Online developers, you'll have more luck with them I think.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Well I wouldn't mind helping out with the graphic bit, I enjoy drawing portraits. though it might take me a bit more time then people who just draw on gimp or such since I like to sketch in my drawing books first than scan it on the computer and do the digital work. But its something I would mind helping out with :D just wanted to see how many people were on board with the idea.

Regards,
Yubaba
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

I personally like the idea.
Interesting would be if you are able to switch the image in scripts. Then you could make more clear who is actually speaking right now. Of course it is a lot of work for artists. But you could start with only having only a few images and add further ones later.

In the same turn we could think about other enhancements to the dialouge window.

EDIT: hm for eAthena it might become hard to find someone to implement it. But for manaserv it should be possible.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Ablu wrote:In the same turn we could think about other enhancements to the dialouge window.
I think it'd already help a lot if the font size was bigger.

So my idea is that only the part of the dialogue between two 'next' could be displayed, in a much bigger font. To see what was said before, it'd be good to allow some kind of scroll-back function, maybe the text could be in a different color in the scroll-back, to make it clear that it's not the most recent thing that was said.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

The only question I really have before starting all these, is if its possible to have maybe 3 emotion portraits of 1 npc, and can the portrait change as the emotion of the dialog changes? If not ill just do 1 portrait with each npc (starting with the important ones).

regards,
Yubaba
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I think a reasonable start would be to just do a single portrait for each NPC. You already have the sprite id, so it would be done entirely on the client side.

If you want to be able to change portraits during dialog (a worthwhile "eventually" goal), that can come LATER.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

ok awsome ill just work on the single portrait for now then.

regards,
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

just so people don't think i forgot about this project i'm posting a sample of what i'm doing with the portraits..it still needs a lot of work like shade and details in her dress (boobs i suppose) but ill do it soon. Heres a sample and [WIP] of sagatha..

Also...should i use more anime features for the face? or should i leave game features? (i know leaving game features would make them look more unique)..or should i just do a whole different pose and style with the pictures?
Attachments
Sagatha-Profile.png
Sagatha-Profile.png (10.04 KiB) Viewed 5844 times
Sagatha-Profile1-1.png
Sagatha-Profile1-1.png (9.75 KiB) Viewed 5844 times
Yubaba
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Chicka-Maria wrote:Also...should i use more anime features for the face? or should i leave game features? (i know leaving game features would make them look more unique)..or should i just do a whole different pose and style with the pictures?
In my opinion, the vector look of the clothes and the pixel look of the face clash badly. But it has the advantage that it is a style which can be easily reproduced by other artists, especially inexperienced ones.
  • NOT a game master

Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

well im not sure which style to do..i mean if i do the pixel faces sure it will be easy for other artists to produce but will they be edited again later on? If so i might as well just do it now...if not ill continue the pixel faces. Please give input...

Regards,
Yubaba
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

I love those.
Pixel pictures suit the game. I'll vote for those!