radical proposal: fix imbalance problems now, smooth later

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

radical proposal: fix imbalance problems now, smooth later

Post by o11c »

It is quite apparent that the single most imbalanced portion of the game is the proportional damage reduction due to armor.

I propose that the defense bonus of all equipment be cut in half, immediately, with weak exceptions for items that already have low defense bonus. Also, the Candle Helmet is on a too-powerful tier for the ease of getting it.

Then defense can be based more significantly on VIT like it's supposed to be.

A likely second step is to increase to-hit for all melee attacks, so warriors can free up the points currently tied up in DEX.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: radical proposal: fix imbalance problems now, smooth lat

Post by Crush »

I agree with you, but
o11c wrote:A likely second step is to increase to-hit for all melee attacks, so warriors can free up the points currently tied up in DEX.
this should be released together, because otherwise there will be quite an outrage when you drastically nerv warriors without giving them anything in exchange.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

this would make the rage skill 100% useless.

if this were to happen, i would foresee the death of the warrior class. as is, you have about a5-1 ratio of archer to warrior, higher when you include the mages. the exp rate of warrior to the other classes is already super poor. the redeeming factor of the warrior class is survive ability. Consider that the warrior is multi ability dependent as well as dependent on carrying healing items, a reduction in armor effectiveness would end the class.

personally, iIfeel as though balancing should be approached via increases in weight of items. release aanew top tier armor at the current warlord armor bonus, make its weight 1/3 higher, reduce the effectiveness of the other armors by 1/3. Also increase the weight of healing potions, iron and con potions, etc.

BC
sexy red bearded GM
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Rebalancing has been stalled for a long time. I share Big Crunch's concerns, but I'm interested to see what effects this would really have on game play.

Maybe it's time to "throw [stuff] at the wall and see what sticks." Make it easy and quick to make changes and test them. Try radical things which are 80% likely Horrible but 20% chance of Awesome. Keep the ideas flowing.

What if we set up a "rebalancing server" on port 6902 of the testing server?
There's no shortage of people who care about the results of the work, so I'm sure we'll find enough people to help test.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
foobo
Peon
Peon

Post by foobo »

Maybe it'd be easier to rebalance stats of the most popular slayed monsters in game?
prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by prsm »

o11c wrote:It is quite apparent that the single most imbalanced portion of the game is the proportional damage reduction due to armor.
My 2 cents, if you do this wipe warriors out of the game, and yes i am a warrior!

All new items are magic related or help mages, all new content seems to be going that way also. The only new content we have seen in years was the rage skill, and it hurts us defensively in a big way.

And before someone brings it up all the new weapons, rock knife and ice galduis are weaker than the bone knife.
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

prsm wrote:And before someone brings it up all the new weapons, rock knife and ice galduis are weaker than the bone knife.
Weaker yes but they also have the +1 luck and the + vitality the bone knife does not possess.

I do agree there should be a rebalance though with the weight of armour, items, monster stats, etc. but this has been brought up many times, its finding the time to do the rebalance is the problem and people who will stick to it and make all classes equal in some way. I will say I do find pvp interesting...its like a cycle, warriors can kill archers, archers can kill mages and mages can kill warriors. But anyway we will see if this goes anywhere different.

Regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Shainen
Novice
Novice

Post by Shainen »

In agreement with Big Crunch and prsm. Already the ratio of warriors is poor which would lead one to the conclusion that future changes should encourage the class. Not only encourage the warrior class but to encourage teamwork in a party with mixed classes. I find it most fun in game-play when there are 1 or 2 of each class working together just like old school rpg. Currently the trend is to level fast with a speed archer, because you can. I've always preferred enjoyable gameplay with others over quick leveling.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

o11c wrote:It is quite apparent that ...
As most players I am not enough aware of the consequences that have the status parameters on the damage and resistance. Probably you (plural) already had a lot of discussions about the balance problems but we are not enough aware of it to give a constructive opinion.
What is easy to see is that warriors damage is lower to those of archers and mages this mainly because they have to put a lot of points into luck and vitality to defend and be able to kill before dying. The difference is a bit lower in levels superior to 90 because speed and better, raging skill begin to have their full effect at these levels though the max damage still shows a significant difference.

Our opinion may be biased because most (?) players do not raise their chars as a member of one class and use status change to optimize growth rate. An example of balance problem is when you begin and try to train in Tulimshar's mines as a warrior with little armor and a knife, compared with archer design. Levelling a warrior in 65-85 ( 70-90) level range is painful: not a lot of quests, a lot of grinding... The temptation is great to use a bot. Fortunately none is available! :mrgreen:

Mobs also have an influence on the levelling rate: green slimes allow a much higher growth rate to archers in than to warriors or mages. Recent white and blue slimes are also far easier to kill with archers and mages than for warriors. foobo points an important thing too: Shall the mobs require another rebalancing? I noticed, while playing similar mpmorpgs that a char has to fight mobs of comparable level. It is not the case here. :?:

Please note that it is impossible to raise a mage from scratch because getting magic requires physical abilities (attack and defense) prior to any magic attack. Thus the stats Nard has in game (a single status change only, bad status understanding) :)
It is quite apparent that the single most imbalanced portion of the game is the proportional damage reduction due to armor
I don't see that point, please explain :/
I propose that the defense bonus of all equipment be cut in half, immediately, with weak exceptions for items that already have low defense bonus. Also, the Candle Helmet is on a too-powerful tier for the ease of getting it.
Candle Helmet was used a lot when it was released. I actually think it has little interest to any class of characters compared to other helmets including infantry one. Note that the ratio skilled players/ New players has changed a lot thus the availability of infantry helmet changed too, thus making it almost unsellable.
Then defense can be based more significantly on VIT like it's supposed to be.
A likely second step is to increase to-hit for all melee attacks, so warriors can free up the points currently tied up in DEX.
  • I am interested to understand how it could be done, and what are the consequences to the other "classes".
  • I do agree with Crush, if there is a change, it must be a global one. Players are precious to get a significant advice.
  • I find Frost's suggestion of a second testing server a nice one, as an empiric approach of the problem.
  • I would find very useful to have a status calculator on the web site if not on the wiki, which could allow us to make fight simulations. (maybe several to be able to compare various solutions). [such as RO status calculator]
  • I will try to improve Ali's (nice) job on the wiki to make it easier to understand and more complete if possible. I will require your help o11c, thanks by advance.
  • As you may know I am a scientific, and sometimes childish. I better understand pictures. I think curves or graphs could be useful to make comparisons. (I'm going to think about which ones could be helpful to characterize warrior efficiency)
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

Is it doable to make equipment that has requirements, such as level, minimum str or other stat, etc?
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

Hard limits get awkward, not just in terms of lore, but also as things have to be unequipped after the fact, so to speak.

There are other options available, though. Shields, with their inability to be used alongside a bow and severe M.Atk penalty, serve as a rather nice area to add bonus effects for warriors to.
I believe in my previous experiments I had shields have a chance to reduce damage additively (amount and chance varied based on the shield) in addition to their existing equipment defence.

Still, as I understand it, the point of this initiative is to set up a testing server with some broad strokes in place. We could do something similar to last time with a second char and map server connected to the main login server in order to make things more accessible to people.

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Freeyorp101 wrote:There are other options available, though. Shields, with their inability to be used alongside a bow and severe M.Atk penalty, serve as a rather nice area to add bonus effects for warriors to.
I believe in my previous experiments I had shields have a chance to reduce damage additively (amount and chance varied based on the shield) in addition to their existing equipment defence.
Another option to make shields' destination to warriors is their weight since most mages and archers have low strength. Now the case of healers should be considered too. They need a good defense to be able to heal efficiently. Usually, in rpgs, this class is clerics who have some strength and use bashing weapons to be able to grind and carry, vitality, white (healing and protection) magic, less combat (war) magic attack.

Still, as I understand it, the point of this initiative is to set up a testing server with some broad strokes in place. We could do something similar to last time with a second char and map server connected to the main login server in order to make things more accessible to people.
I understood it slightly different: a second independent testing server looking mainly as actual one. But your idea is quite interesting too as, if I remember well there was no need to recreate and setup new chars.

Nard