Spider noises

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

alpha
Peon
Peon

Spider noises

Post by alpha »

Chicka - here are a selection of hisses (really for any purpose you may choose), use them as a starting point and let me know how changes or should be directed where needed.

Series 1 are the raw vocal edits, unprocessed by effects.

Series 2 are the same sounds (if I did it right) run through a minor tempo effect (20% tempo inc, w/e pitch shift). It should be just slightly more like a smallish creature producing the same noises. It also introduces some aberrances that may alleviate the raw vocalization.
spider-series1.zip
spider-die(3)
spider-hurt(4)
(69.85 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
spider-series2.zip
spider-die(3)
spider-hurt(4)
(65.34 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Spider noises

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Hey alpha, I listened to your sounds for the first series so far, i like the spider-die3s1.ogg file but it can be improved. When things die they usually create whimpering in many different ways. This can be a whimper sound if its a bit softer. It can also be done by making the sound start off with normal volume and let it fade to the end. Or it can be done by making cuter sad sounds (which is usually used for other animals such as fluffys). You did a nice job on spider-hurt3s1.ogg i enjoyed it as a sound for hurt or attack.

Lovely work keep it up!

Regards,
Chicka
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
alpha
Peon
Peon

Post by alpha »

Lets try these then

3-1: amplitude shaped up, volume inc in ranges, last third trails off
3-2: amplitude shaped up and pitched up, last third trails
3-3: amplitude shaped down, last third trails
3-4: just trails the last third (less is more mentality)

I don't consider these production attempts, but listen to each against the original spider-die3. Tell me what you like and don't about each.

I'm also recording a series of more whiney, whimsical hissy deaths. Die3 was plucked from generic hiss material.
spider-die3s.zip
spider-die3(4)
(49.86 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
alpha
Peon
Peon

Post by alpha »

Here are the more whimsical versions promised. They may be too whimsical.

let me know (btw, 11 is a joke).
spider-die-series2.zip
spider-die(5)
(158.53 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

I think spider-die9.ogg is the best one in there close to a spider hiss. The rest wont be useable until theyre highly modified.

p.s sorry if i take a while to respond, its summer and im not at my keyboard often.

Regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
alpha
Peon
Peon

Post by alpha »

All of these latest are to be "chosen from" rather than actually used as "alternate forms" of the same sound.

I just realized I'm presenting them in a really confusing way. I'll try, in the future, to name files in such a way as to make the difference more apparent. Also, it is my hope that anything I submit for assessment is being considered for general use as well as any specific purpose.

Spiders and scorpions are in the same class of arachnids, but snakes also hiss and some sounds that may not be "spidery" enough might be useful as snake, another monster or even an ambient sound. I am not placing any restrict of use on the materials I submit and that should be taken advantage of.

I would also like the potential of the sound considered, but I understand this is a much harder to do. For instance, the snail sounds I created started as a recording of me drinking a glass of water. How you get from "drinking sounds" to "hitting a snail shell" sounds isn't obvious. If this is out of scope, I promise I won't cry :D

Do you consider die9 a good death hiss? Better or worse than the Die3 series or are there aspects you would want to mix or replace?