A Possible Beginning Area For New Players! :D

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

eTHiiXx
Peon
Peon

A Possible Beginning Area For New Players! :D

Post by eTHiiXx »

Hello everyone! :D

I am quite new to the community but I honestly love the experience I have had and I tend to try and be a GM and a fellow helper to beginners in the future too :3

I also have a passion for game design (Especially making maps) and I would be honored to contribute to TMW.

However I have no idea where to start! D: I don't know what program to use to design maps or anything like that but I'm very willing to learn :)

If anyone has the time to send me any links to necessary programs or have any helpful tips I would be very much grateful and would love you forever xD

Thanks for reading! ^_^
Because You Can Trust Me ..... To Own You.

Level 30+ Archer Of Epicosity
:3 Tehe.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: A Possible Beginning Area For New Players! :D

Post by o11c »

The single entry point for all development is: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/How_to_Develop

For just getting your environment set up, this is complete (except for that hook thing - I should fix that immediately); as you learn other things we would appreciate you editing it. In particular, the Mapping Tutorial is based on an old version, although most of the information is still relevant.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
eTHiiXx
Peon
Peon

Post by eTHiiXx »

o11c wrote:The single entry point for all development is: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/How_to_Develop

For just getting your environment set up, this is complete (except for that hook thing - I should fix that immediately); as you learn other things we would appreciate you editing it. In particular, the Mapping Tutorial is based on an old version, although most of the information is still relevant.
Okay thank you very much :D Do you have any Pro Tips? :P Lol

eTHiiXx
Peon
Peon

Post by eTHiiXx »

o11c wrote:The single entry point for all development is: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/How_to_Develop

Could you please help me out with the Gitorous Setup... I have no clue as to what to do. Do I need Linux?

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

eTHiiXx wrote:

Could you please help me out with the Gitorous Setup... I have no clue as to what to do. Do I need Linux?
You don't strictly need Linux, but developing in Windows is always a pain. There's this article, which is slightly outdated and really should be merged into the main article: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... on_Windows

If you need help it's best to get on IRC.
eTHiiXx
Peon
Peon

Post by eTHiiXx »

o11c wrote:
eTHiiXx wrote:

You don't strictly need Linux, but developing in Windows is always a pain. There's this article, which is slightly outdated and really should be merged into the main article: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... on_Windows

If you need help it's best to get on IRC.
Thanks I will try and figure it out. But how do you download all the textures and all that jazz? And okay I will give that a go too :) Thanks

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

eTHiiXx wrote:But how do you download all the textures and all that jazz?
If you follow the instructions on the "How to Develop" page, the textures will be pulled in by the --recursive flag of 'git clone', and found in the client-data/graphics/* subdirectories.

This is not to be taken as an excuse to skip the other steps.
eTHiiXx
Peon
Peon

Post by eTHiiXx »

o11c wrote:
If you follow the instructions on the "How to Develop" page, the textures will be pulled in by the --recursive flag of 'git clone', and found in the client-data/graphics/* subdirectories.

Could you possibly explain that in absolute noob terms? :P

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

eTHiiXx wrote:
o11c wrote:

Could you possibly explain that in absolute noob terms? :P
  1. Go to http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/How_to_Develop
  2. Follow all the instructions under "setup", in order.
  3. ???
  4. Profit
eTHiiXx
Peon
Peon

Post by eTHiiXx »

...Wait...

Profit? :D