Current Status?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

FlameBoy
Newly Registered User

Current Status?

Post by FlameBoy »

What is the current status of CR1? From what I can see... nothing much has happened on it.

I currently have some free time on my hands, and would be willing to work on completing CR1. I recently setup a manaserv server and was impressed at how far it has come and I believe it is ready for use!

Personally, I would start by porting all the current aethena work to manaserv and then start new working from there. At least then players can start using manaserv.

It just seems like a lot of effort needs to be put in when we could just start with the current game and work from that.
Last edited by FlameBoy on 02 Aug 2012, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Current Status?

Post by o11c »

FlameBoy wrote:Personally, I would start by porting all the current aethena work to manaserv and then start new working from there. At least then players can start using manaserv.
The problem is, that ManaServ is not designed to be compatible.

CR1 is pretty dead because there's no benefit seen. But nowadays there's the LPC entry ...
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
FlameBoy
Newly Registered User

Post by FlameBoy »

So, is the LPC entry like the "new" mana world?

Would there be any interest in porting what we have to manaserv? I think it could be a difficult task, but might get more interest into the project.
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

FlameBoy wrote:So, is the LPC entry like the "new" mana world?

Would there be any interest in porting what we have to manaserv? I think it could be a difficult task, but might get more interest into the project.
Hello,

We did the LPC entry independent from the mana world. The LPC had two phases. One art phase and one code phase.
In the art phase all the graphics were made. So our LPC entry does NOT depend on tmw somehow. It is a completly new project.

ManaServ was in development since a long time now. It was never really stable before. So nobody really used it. With the LPC we run a test to check how good our server is and where it still need works. We are working on this rough edges now to get the server and client well working with the features we want to see. So ManaServ is still not recommended for using as a base for a game (especially when you do not know a lot about the server).

I cannot say anything about porting over The Mana World to ManaServ since i am not a dev here.

Best regards,
Ablu
FlameBoy
Newly Registered User

Post by FlameBoy »

I suppose I thought that manaserv was ready for a proper game. Is there a plan to switch TMW to manaserv when it is declared production ready?
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

If there is. It is a lot of work. All scripts have to be rewritten. Would be a good reason to fix some other stuff while one it though...
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

FlameBoy wrote:I suppose I thought that manaserv was ready for a proper game. Is there a plan to switch TMW to manaserv when it is declared production ready?
What exactly is your idea of switching? If you mean something like porting every quest and every item, I don't think that'd make sense. There are many historically grown things in tmw that are very unfortunate in my opinion - e.g. starting in the desert. Or using GPL for the graphics.
So if porting at all, then it'd might make sense to create a new tmw game that could be based on the same background story, with the same places, but mostly new content regarding quests and items. But then the question remains about what graphics to use. Personally, I wouldn't want to start a new project using the old tmw GPL graphics, but rather graphics licensed with something more suited for graphics.
FlameBoy
Newly Registered User

Post by FlameBoy »

Well, I thought that was what CR1 was meant to do, but as it seems dead now I don't see that as a viable option as it might just repeat itself.

I only suggest porting the current content as then people might be more interested in getting TMW on manaserv. Even if we start with just one place, such as Hurnscald.

Are all the graphics under the GPL?
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,
Personally, I wouldn't want to start a new project using the old tmw GPL graphics, but rather graphics licensed with something more suited for graphics.
I guess the main idea is here. The Liberated Pixel Cup made a great opportunity to create a new basic MMORPG world using Manaserv, permitting to show up the rough edges, turn the client more into a game client than a dialog and pop-up client, ect...
And sincerely, they did pretty well! :) (Yes, they did!)

Manaserv has been quite not loved by the community because seeing no tangible results for so long, but IMHO, without begin part of the LPC team, I know they've open a big door to a possible "new" World using the manaserv technology, which has proven since a few weeks now, it is basically working. Just try it out.

Manaserv with full TMW content would be a bad and insanely hard to make idea, IMHO, but Manaserv with its own world, bringing features one after another in a more thorough way is the way to go.

My two cents as an elder here.

Best regards,
FlameBoy
Newly Registered User

Post by FlameBoy »

I have actually used the LPC entry and I was very impressed. Perhaps once the LPC has been judged and is all over, a new MMORPG should be formed using the LPC as a base and just adding more quests, NPCs, places etc. I would be very interested in being part of this project if it were to form. I'm not a pixel artist, but I am a C/C++ programmer and I like making maps.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

FlameBoy wrote:Perhaps once the LPC has been judged and is all over, a new MMORPG should be formed using the LPC as a base and just adding more quests, NPCs, places etc. I would be very interested in being part of this project if it were to form. I'm not a pixel artist, but I am a C/C++ programmer and I like making maps.
We're going to continue with the game, bug-fixing already started in the repository, we just can't update the testing server, since it should stay on the lpc submission state for the judges.
And before adding new stuff, it's planned to tidy-up our existing content, as lots of it was done in a haste and solved the quick-and-dirty way.
You can find us in #mana-lpc on Freenode.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

It is a shame that CR1 generates no interest anymore :(
A game full with highquality content would be great, but no effort was successful before :/

As Rotonen would say, current TMW content sucks and is merely a placeholder.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Rotonen was someone who talked and complained a lot, but who didn't contributed much himself.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Alike people like eachother ;)

edit: btw, is the cool stuff like the windmill etc ingame?
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

It isn't but it would be ready to be brought in game.
I think the tileset is complete plus the animation as well.

But for details ask Jen. I'm not totally sure