PvP-Event Testing Server

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: PvP-Event Testing Server

Post by tux9th »

It is kinda broken by design. But I don't know if people really would break it.
If I were to add a timelimit this could disturb real fights. Because let's face it if two warriors with nearly endless supply of potions fight a fight can take for ever.
Should we forbid that? I'm not sure.
I don't know how to check if there's action in the cave or not.

So this cave can be abused but I believe in the good of people. Maybe you can come up with ideas how to stop people from blocking the cave without disturbing the honest people who fight forever.

I couldn't come up with one so I'm stuck with believing that people don't abuse it too much.

greets
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I just restarted the testserver with some addition to this.

It's now possible to give item(s) to the NPC as prize for the event. (Unfortunately the item name has to be entered without whitespaces, which might be a bit unintuitive - but as far as I know there's no possibility to remove spaces from a string.)
If there aren't enough players to start the battle, the NPC tries to give back the item to the sponsor. If the sponsor isn't online anymore, the items gets lost.
EDIT: I also added the possibilty to choose the amount of money to pay for the price.

Please test again with the new version. :)
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

I tested the event. I found a little issue and have a few remarks as a player.
Issue:
Dead players are warped to NPC Brodomir before they are effectively dead, which gives a weird two step death.
My opinion:
I like the general presentation and combat map, though I need a bit more dig about PvP part.
I am not fond of PvP, especially in actual game context. I would be more interested if it was related to guild implementation (fight for dungeon or gvg) ,or party vs party. As long as guilds are not supported I have no fun with it. Terranite cave is in my opinion, the worst
implementation that could be made of pvp as it leads to ambiguous situations between players and allows any noob mage and little less noob archer to get pvp rank 1 with surprise.
I can't understand why a fee is necessary to access a pvp area; and even more if I organize the event (provide rewards...) myself. Thus I would not play this event as is. I would prefer organize the event in Tulimshar undergrounds, it is less expensive. If it was integrated as a part of a larger quest involving PvP, with some reward from server, I could change my opinion. Sorry, I have no constructive idea at the moment, but I will try to find one.
You may say that the fee corresponds to the global message as it is in Candor. I would answer that I don't like the implementation of Candor global, which actually requires two messages: one to gather the 5 players which still relies on GMs though I think the message thing was intended to lighten their burden, and the fee to avoid spamming. I can understand a reasonable fee to gather the required number of players before the event start. The second is to advertise about the event start, the fee should be included in the event one.

I hope that my words will help and are as neutral as I tried to be as a tester and as a player. Thank you for past and forthcoming job anyway :)

cordially yours;

Nard
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

A little more about my opinion about PvP:
I find that PvP has little interest in TMW because of it lacks of player action which could allow more dynamic fight. Frost pointed this out about warriors in http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 2&p=126135; I think PvP with mages and archers allows just little more, Monster fighting requires more. Thus the only interest I can see in it is strategy with multiple players fight.

Nard
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

The entry fee exists because the winner has to get his money somwhere. to avoid abuse the money you get is the money one enters + 150 times the total amount of alive players.
that's what the entry fee is for. I don't think it is too much I think it's okay and I don't think we should remove it because removing it bears potential for more abuse.

I am also very unhappy about dead people warping around but the only way to disable that would be to change the code of the command mapwarp. I don't know how to do that. Maybe o11c can look into it.

There is NO global announcement. It's just a Mapannouncement. So just people who are on the map can read this. You don't pay for annoucements you pay for what the winner gets!

I hope I could clear up some misunderstandings.

Please keep the discussion to this NPC and event only. If you want to discuss PvP in general please make a new topic. I want to keep this topic content development only.

greets
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

tux9th wrote:The entry fee exists because the winner has to get his money somwhere. to avoid abuse the money you get is the money one enters + 150 times the total amount of alive players.
that's what the entry fee is for. I don't think it is too much I think it's okay and I don't think we should remove it because removing it bears potential for more abuse.
I understand better. I missed the reward thing. Maybe a global (and a reasonable fee to avoid spamming) could be a nice thing
I am also very unhappy about dead people warping around but the only way to disable that would be to change the code of the command mapwarp. I don't know how to do that. Maybe o11c can look into it.
This is really annoying, is the mapwarp really a need? could it be replaced by something else?

Thanks you for the job anyway :)
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Nard wrote:
This is really annoying, is the mapwarp really a need? could it be replaced by something else?
Dispatch an areatimer event (with delay 0) for all players in the area, and check isdead.

The following is from memory, but probably right:
Note that if the NPC containing the event is on a map, the player must be in Line-of-Sight. However, if the NPC is not on any map (there are some OnInit NPCs that do this), the player may be on any map.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

I have no idea what that means :D
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

tux9th wrote:I have no idea what that means :D

Code: Select all

world/map/npc/029-3/parua.txt: 277     :    areatimer "029-3.gat", 20, 20, 70, 60, 10, "Parua::onReward";
world/map/npc/029-3/parua.txt- 296     -onReward:
world/map/npc/029-3/parua.txt: 297     :    if (isdead()) end;
I'm not sure why it's using a delay of 10 rather than 0.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

ah now I get it
that's a great idea!

I don't know what else to say but you're a genius :>
That works.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I just updated the testserver with a commit from tux9th.
Now dead players are warped to 009-3 when the event ends, to avoid dead players being warped back and forth if a new event is started.

Please test again. :)