Discussion: Testserver setup

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Discussion: Testserver setup

Post by Jenalya »

Just a status update: the testserver now uses the new setup.

After login you can select either 'Testing Server' or 'Stable Server'.

'Testing Server' will be used the same way as the testserver so far with merges from forks, and 'Stable Server' will track mainline/master.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

We should probably post the restart scripts in the tools/ directory ... the more I think of it would be better as a separate repository. If done as a submodule there will be no changes to the setup instructions. That would leave migration of existing clones, which would be as simple as running 'git submodule init' and would be an obvious error if people didn't do it.

Actually, if people have followed the instructions and symlinked the post-merge script, this can be done entirely automatically ... We could even add a news message that shows whenever you pull ...

(Not sure how topical this is)

Technical details of the proposal:
1. tmwa-server-data/tools/ -> filter history as / in a new repository, add as submodule.
2. tmwa-client-data/tools/ -> filter history as /client-data-tools and merge (as multi-root) into the submodule
3. replace tmwa-client-data/tools/ with symlink to ../tools/client-data-tools/. This could be done a week later so people with out-of-sync server/client data repositories can have time to update.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

All the accounts and chars I created for testing are on stable server :cry:
Could you copy them on unstable please?
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Nard wrote:All the accounts and chars I created for testing are on stable server :cry:
Could you copy them on unstable please?
Good idea! I just did exactly this.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Frost wrote:Good idea! I just did exactly this.
you mean God Idea?
Thank you so much :D
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.