Tree Collision

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Tree Collision

Post by tux9th »

Hi,
yesterday I looked over 026-1 and 025-1 because a friend of mine asked me to. I realized there are a lot of inconsistencies at tree collision.
Therefore I created a map which shows what "possibilities" there are regarding Collision of trees.
Check this out ManaPlusScreenshot

I uploaded the map to the testing server (Testing Branch) and you can access this map with @warp 099-1.

I for myself think all of these trees should have 2 Collision tiles.

If you want to check it out in a real map as well just go to 026-1 and look how the collisions are handled there.
It would be great if you could post here how you feel about it and what you would like it to be.

greets tuX
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Tree Collision

Post by Crush »

Those trees which are centered on the border between two tiles should block both - everything else would be inconsistent. Some of these trees look like they would also fit on one tile. Creating an additional one-tiled version would be nice. I say additionally, because when you use one-tile trees exclusively, the map will look very grid-like and unnatural.

But regarding the large tree stumps: I think they should block only 2x2 tiles. There is no reason why they should block the roots, as a character would be able to walk over them comfortably. Especially regarding the lower row. The feet of the character are in the lower half of the tile. The roots are only on the upper half. So it feels unnatuaral that these tiles should be blocked.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

If you only block 2x2 tiles of the treestumps, the roots will slap you in the face when you walk up :D!
I don't think it's nice. But I would like to have it that way if it costs you HP.
but back to topic ;)
I just tried it out. It's best to use 4 tiles in the second row and 2 tiles in the top row to block it out. Thanks crush =)

fyif:
If we move the tree trunks from between 2 tiles on one tile, the tree reaches over 3 tiles therfore it would be impossible to create a closed wall with trees. That's why Crush said to have those trees in an additional tileset.
Last edited by tux9th on 25 Sep 2012, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

tux9th wrote:If you only block 2x2 tiles of the treestumps, the roots will slap you in the face when you walk up :D!
This problem could be solved by splitting the tree stump tiles into roots and trunk. The roots should go on the floor layer and the trunk on the fringe layer. Woodland_ground.png is already full, but there is still plenty of free space on Woodland_swamp.png.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Very little to add to Crush's words:
The two one-tiled trees above the birch could be shifted a bit down so that the collision tile can be one tile lower.
I also like the dead tree west of you when one collision tile on the west. I have no advice on the large stumps, I cant see a good way to avoid some compromise.

Nard
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.