transition from desert to woodland

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

transition from desert to woodland

Post by Crush »

what do you think about this way to make a transition between the desert and the woodland?
new tiles i created:
do you think it is worth the effort to create a larger map like this to get a real connection between the two regions? keep in mind that there has to be at least one kind of physical barrier that runs parallel to the transition to the north and south, so some more tiles will be required.

i know that modanung creates the savannah tileset as a transition between desert and woodland, but:

1. according to the world map on the wiki the Tonori desert and the Xartune woodland (formerly known as Jirt) are not connected by a savannah region but by a landbridge.
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... 051226.jpg
2. even when we change the planned world map to make space for the savannah region (which would still fit well between Tonori and Gaeas Hearth) it will take a lot of time until the savannah region it is finished. until then we will have to stick with the ugly teleport npc solution. i could finish the transition tileset and a transition map in about one or two weeks.
3. when it is finished the same technique could be used for the transition between savannah and desert.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

The idea is nice, in fact I still hate the npc teleports. Even if we change things later this is a quick fix for the moment, so I'd agree to go on. What I don't like that much is the blurry border of the tiles, it just happens to be a gimp filter, Once it's fixed I'm ok with it.
Alderan
Novice
Novice

Post by Alderan »

Very nice :D Please make some bitmap where it would be placed and then it could be used in editor without scare that One take some bitmap but in future the positions in bitmap will be changed so the map will not work any more. Maybe it could be a good idea to make some repository of tiles that may be used for mapping. Even if they are not completed yet - means there could be added some new thing into so far empty places but placed things wouldn't change the position any more. Maybe it could be some wiki page....
What you think?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Alderan, tileset organisation is a quite problematic topic. it is very difficult to plan the organisation of a tileset in advance. when you release a tileset with empty areas for further additions and try not to change any of the already published tiles you usually end up with a rather chaotic organisation that is hard to use. that's why i prefer to hold a tileset back until i got all the tiles and can think about the most clever way to arrange them. you don't want to know how many times i had to remap the woodland test map after i had to change the position of some tiles because otherwise some new tiles wouldn't have fit in.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

here are three different ways how to do the transmission between desert and dirt:
A: the method used above
B: the very pixel-artish way
C: something in between

which one do you prefer?
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I go for C
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

EJlol wrote:I go for C
LEG0LAS
Warrior
Warrior

Post by LEG0LAS »

hmm

i got C too
LEG0LAS + Bow = 100arrows/s
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Current transition tileset:
the leftmost tiles are duplicates from the woodland tileset. i put them in for the convenience of the mapper (e.g. me). new are the dirt+water and desert+water tiles, the desert+dirt tiles and the transmission tiles desert->dirt and grass->dirt at shorelines.

Overview of transition map 1:
As you can see it adjoins west to the desert one map south from tulimshar. my idea was some kind of palm beach. tiles i would have liked would be a 2nd palm tree (is the one who made it still around? do you feel like creating a variant?) and maybe some more beach ambient tiles like corals or huge shells. the enemies on the map could be inspired by typical beach critters. my ideas would be hermit crabs (easy to animate because the biggest part would be the shell which won't move) or octopus like monsters.

according to the world map there should be like 2 or three more maps between tulimshar and the Moori Isthmus Landbridge, but i don't think that it is necessary to invest that much work yet. i've chosen an area that is quite simple for the portal. so it won't be difficult to squeeze some more maps between the two when someone feels like doing some more.
LEG0LAS
Warrior
Warrior

Post by LEG0LAS »

i love it :D
Crush thats very nice.
Your transitions are very good and it feets great to the desert and the woodland. It could be use very soon.
About map1, i want it on next update ! :lol: it could be nice stop using teleport NPCs.The creatures living in the beach could be crabs and some kind of evil turtle, or just turtle :wink: .
Alderan
Novice
Novice

Post by Alderan »

Great job, I'm looking forward to see the map in game :)
LEG0LAS
Warrior
Warrior

Post by LEG0LAS »

hey alderan.
your good drawing,i saw you purple snake. why dont you try a crab or a turtle or both :D
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

i really like your idea Crush
Imperian
Peon
Peon

Post by Imperian »

Yeah, i liked it too :D
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

Once again you amaze me crush :)

about the teleporting.... would it be possible/practicle to create seamless transitions? and then just have a monster zone where certain monsters turn around and go back once they hit that zone? this would make the game feel like it is more of one map with every one in the same world. when teleporting is used, it takes away from the feeling that you are in the same world as every one else....