beanie copter cap-quest idea

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

beanie copter cap-quest idea

Post by veryape »

As some of you might know I have been working a little on the benie copter cap (separate thread here), this is my idea how to bring it into the game. Hopefully this is possible and not breaking any plans or anything in the grand story about tmw.

I would like input and if this idea is liked and possible I would also like help to make it happen.

Best regards.

Code: Select all

This is my idea for how to get the beanie copter cap into the game.

Background: First of all i thought that it would be nice to make the cap as a reward for something, like a quest or so. 
But since I'm not skilled enough to make a quest that is not just about collecting stuff i thought that it could be done 
quite differently. My idea is that it is more of an achivement-bonus. Also I would like the boss points to finally be 
useful for something.

So my idea is quite simple, Milly who stands in Hurnscald right now only says "Hello."

I would like to change this so that she idolizes Kfahr for his heroism and when you first talk to her she goes on about what a great hero he is and that you should go see him and hear about his storys.

My idea is that when you talk to her and are under level 40 she says something like: 

[Milly]
"Hello traveller, welcome to Hurnscald"

to which you can answer:

[Player]
"Hi there!" 

or 

[Player]
"I'm far to busy to talk to kids right now"

"Hi there!" leads to her replying:

"Hey, have you gone to see Kfahr yet? He is over at the inn! He's such a great hero, you should really go there and hear about his heroic acts!"

"I'm far to busy..." leads to closing the dialogue.

if you are between lvl 40 and 60 she will say 

[Milly]
"Hi, you have really shown some prowess, hopefully you will become a hero just as Kfahr, maybe you should go see him and ask him for advice or help."

To what you can answer: 

[Player]
"Yes maybe that is a good idea"

or

[Player]
"Why should i listen to him? He always sits in that Inn like a drunkard, telling fairytales for a beer or two. Goodbye"

"Yes"-option should leed her to saying

[Milly]
"I heard that he has some really nice weapons from his adventures, maybe you could ask him to help you get the gear of a real adventurer." 

Lvl 60-90

[Milly]
"I'm very impressed by your skills and the deeds you have done around here. Hopefully we won't need another hero like the great Kfahr, but if we do I sure hope that you will fill the gap after his retirement."

After completing the quests involving kids (ie angela n cindy quest and rossy) she will comment on those.

After completing Rossy quest 

[Milly]
"Word is all around town that you saved Rossy from that abomination of nature that the Fey Element is. Olana and both of her daughters are so happy about what you did. Maybe someday you and your good deeds will be mentioned in the same breath as Kfahr."

Possible answers:
[Player]
Yes, it was a tough battle but at last i managed to save that poor girl.

After Cindy

[Milly]
"I am nearly speachess, at school today I heard that you rescued that poor girl Cindy from a Bunch of Yetis that had kidnapped her, your actions will not be forgotten that is for sure."

To which you can answer:

[Player]
"It is true, as soon as I heard about it i ran in there and slayed them all."

or

[Player]
"That is somewhat true, however I did not rescue her all by myself. Fortunately some other adventurers joined me. Without their help I am not sure I would have been able to rescue her."

Bragging answer leads to her saying:

[Milly]
"Well that is not exactly how I heard things panned out, maybe you should work a bit on your modesty. You certainly are no Kfahr by any means and you should not try to act as if you were."

Modest answer leads to her saying:

[Milly]
"You speak like a real hero, not trying to boast but rather let your good  deeds speak. I wish other aspiering adventurers would be as down to earth as you are."

If both of the above is finished:

[Milly]
"By your heroic acts you have shown to be a real hero and will without no doubt be a part of our folklore in the future however you need to further prove yourself to become the greatest hero ever seen around here. Maybe you should prove yourself at Candor, the real heros playgound. Fearless the real heroes prove themselves there over and over again, without any fear of the dark dangers that lurks there, to gain the experience of a real veteran hero."

When lvl 90 is reached, all the above quests and the setzer quest is done and 5000 boss points are collected Milly starts to idolize you instead of Kfahr.

[Milly]
"Hello, you have proved yourself worthy of being mentioned as the greatest Hero who has walked the land of Hurnscald. Kfahr was a great hero but nowadays he is a rather sad figure. Always sitting in that Inn drinking beer and talking about his past glory while you who has equaled his great adventures are still an active hero. I am really pleased to have met you and you are my personal hero for everything you have done around here. You made me and my friends feel safe with all your good intentions and heroic actions. Therefore i would like to present you a gift. Please take this copter beanie cap as a token of my gratitude."
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
SriNitayanda
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: beenie copter cap-quest idea

Post by SriNitayanda »

Ah ah might be a reason for me to finally do Rossy quest, i liked the idea i think boss points are too much time useless and this can be a great reward for them. keep up the good work ape :D
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I like the idea. One open question is wether getting the hat should consume the Boss Points or should just check if they're high enough. Since there are other uses for the Boss Points planned which will consume them, I think it'd be consistent to consume them here as well, but in this case it might be reasonable to set a lower amount.

About the dialog, there's a problem with some of the lines you want the player to say. Since in the menu selection there doesn't happen a linebreak, the player's texts should be as short as possible, otherwise something like this will happen:
problemWithMenu.png
problemWithMenu.png (219.19 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
Depending on how the different players size their NPC dialog window, it can get problematic at different lengths.

Would you be interested in doing the NPC script yourself or are you asking for a scripter to help you with this?
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

[Milly]
"Hello traveller, welcome to Hurnscald"

to which you can answer:

[Player]
"Hi there!"

or

[Player]
"I'm far to busy to talk to kids right now"
Why does this player talk to Milly if he doesn't have time to talk? Oo
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

@Jenalaya
In my mind I thought that it should just check that you have earned the 5k bosspoint, not take any away.

And i would very much want at least help getting started with the scripting, but since I am not a coder and havn't done anything more advanced than simple bashscripts in the last 5 years I think that if someone was willing to write the script altogether it would be most welcome.

I will have to look over the longer centences for the player?

@Reid
haha point taken, i scribbled this down last night. I believe there is a few typos and other things that might have to be ironed out.

If the idea is liked over all i will put some more work and thinking into it.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

veryape wrote: And i would very much want at least help getting started with the scripting, but since I am not a coder and havn't done anything more advanced than simple bashscripts in the last 5 years I think that if someone was willing to write the script altogether it would be most welcome.

[...]
If you look over the dialog texts (typos, grammar, phrasing) and menu choices (shorter), I could use that and do the logic scripting that is needed (level checks, quest status checks and similiar).
To put the dialog into a script, it'd be nice if you could already put the text into the right commands, like this:

mes "[Milly]";
mes "\"Put text here.\"";
next;
mes "\"Put more text here.\"";
menu
    "Something the player can say.", -,
    "Something else the player can say.", -;
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Jenalya wrote:
veryape wrote: And i would very much want at least help getting started with the scripting, but since I am not a coder and havn't done anything more advanced than simple bashscripts in the last 5 years I think that if someone was willing to write the script altogether it would be most welcome.

[...]
If you look over the dialog texts (typos, grammar, phrasing) and menu choices (shorter), I could use that and do the logic scripting that is needed (level checks, quest status checks and similiar).
To put the dialog into a script, it'd be nice if you could already put the text into the right commands, like this:

mes "[Milly]";
mes "\"Put text here.\"";
next;
mes "\"Put more text here.\"";
menu
    "Something the player can say.", -,
    "Something else the player can say.", -;
Ok, that sounds good, I will make a revised version of it in the comming days.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Okey, I've been working on a rewised version.

There might still be errors and spelling misstakes.

Please check for both :)

also the stuff that Milly says here. Should be added to the script

If you have any questions about something you find unclear in the script ask me.
Attachments
beanie_copter_quest_npc_milly.txt
(10.78 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I revised the dialog so far, and pushed the result on a new branch "beaniecopter" on my repository fork:
https://github.com/jtoelke/tmwa-server- ... aniecopter
I'm going to integrate it with the actual Milly script and add the variable logic sometime the next days.

Nice job on the dialog, it made me chuckle quite a lot! :)
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I pushed another commit to my fork which adds variable handling to the quest. Integration with the existing Milly script is still missing.
If anyone is interested to test/review what I have so far, that'd be welcome.
0x0BAL
Peon
Peon

Post by 0x0BAL »

Jenalya wrote:I pushed another commit to my fork which adds variable handling to the quest. Integration with the existing Milly script is still missing.
If anyone is interested to test/review what I have so far, that'd be welcome.
I'd like to test it.
edit:
i tested it , it worked well.
I completed all the quests with a char and then talked to milly, last thing said was "Good bye and good luck" ,
i didnt get the cap, maybe its because i didnt add it to my server.
edit2:
i didnt get the boss points either, is there anyway to get them without doing candor ?
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

0x0BAL wrote: I completed all the quests with a char and then talked to milly, last thing said was "Good bye and good luck" ,
Did you talked to her only after doing all the quests, or also before doing them and when you've done only some of them?
0x0BAL wrote: i didnt get the cap, maybe its because i didnt add it to my server.
edit2:
i didnt get the boss points either, is there anyway to get them without doing candor ?
If an item used in getitem doesn't exist, an iten is given instead. To get the boss points, you could edit some NPC script to raise your boss points to 5000, something like this:

set BOSS_POINTS, 5000;
0x0BAL
Peon
Peon

Post by 0x0BAL »

Did you talked to her only after doing all the quests, or also before doing them and when you've done only some of them?
I talked with her first before doing any quest, then I did cindy,setzer+bone knife and finally rossy, after that i talked to her again.

edit:
ok i did that code you said, and it worked, she gave me an iten instead of the cap, i will try it with another char but i will talk each time i do something.
Last edited by 0x0BAL on 25 Feb 2013, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Slimor
Peon
Peon

Post by Slimor »

sounds very good to me

i should win some more Candors now ...
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

getting an Iten means either a typo in the name of the item to be given, or the item is not in item_db.txt
Former programmer for the TMWA server.