idea for leveling a warrior

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

TGE
Peon
Peon

idea for leveling a warrior

Post by TGE »

Hi.

I've found that leveling up as a warrior is really hard when compared to leveling as an archer. I've talked to some people ingame and they always tell to restat as archer then when you hit a higher level restat again to warrior. It makes sense but personally it makes the game experience the same thing for each character when leveling up.

So i was wondering If there could be a way for warrior to level up as easy as an archer does and then this idea occurred: what if the character got some exp based on the damage they defended..."

Warriors are highly defensive; archers (and mages) can do some healing and get extra exp from it but warriors can't do that because of armor.

It is just an idea, hoping to get some feedback

Peace
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: idea for leveling a warrior

Post by Big Crunch »

Interesting idea. Basically if mattack is 0, add in a percentage of the damage taken to the total experience gained by that character. I like it.
sexy red bearded GM
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Big Crunch wrote:Interesting idea. Basically if mattack is 0, add in a percentage of the damage taken to the total experience gained by that character. I like it.
Then archers who choose more protection, and not to heal may take extra advantage. I prefer archer who lower their defense to heal warriors; note that when these heal; they cannot hit too. In my opinion and at this moment, it would be better for warriors to introduce more mobs with better magic and missile weapons defense (and places to put them :/).

Edit: Another possibility would be that the bonus experience we get when several chars attack the same mob could be weighted is some way by the damage that the chars had to suffer.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
TGE
Peon
Peon

Post by TGE »

what about a skill:

something like "defensive expertise skill", "the char learns more from defending too" (so more exp), this way only the ones with this skill active would benefit from the extra exp, plus it could only work if you wear a shield.

feedback?
TGE
Peon
Peon

Post by TGE »

nards' idea is a nice one too :)
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

warrior is fine imo. amd as many will recall i was an advocate for adding more to warrior but after experienceing the game and classes further heres what ive discovered. although warrior lowers sometimes painfully slow at lower levels because the gameplay is much more effortless you can keep at it longer. as an archer i needed frequent breaks and as a warrior i did not. this allowed me to actually level faster day wise as a warrior than an archer because i could spend virtually the entire day in the gy much easier than the other classes. another thing is just lower defense a bit. im a level 96 warrior with very low defense. i heal frequently but i level fast. i find many warriors just put too much into defense and then wonder why leveling is so slow
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

the main problem is that at higher levels warriors nearly match archer xp. add defensive bonuses and i could see warriors exceeding archers at xp levels
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

billy bad ass made a valid point about this. Warriors could then go afk in the graveyard as long as someone is there to heal them or kill the mob and the warrior would get free exp. Obviously its not as simple as i thought initially.
sexy red bearded GM
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

Big Crunch wrote:billy bad ass made a valid point about this. Warriors could then go afk in the graveyard as long as someone is there to heal them or kill the mob and the warrior would get free exp. Obviously its not as simple as i thought initially.
that too. i thjink the xp system is better off left alone. i was able to make it to 96 so far as mostly warrior and only been playing 3 months. crunch you told me you stayed warrior a long time too so obviously its possible
Jamdawn
Newly Registered User

Post by Jamdawn »

Big Crunch wrote:Interesting idea. Basically if mattack is 0, add in a percentage of the damage taken to the total experience gained by that character. I like it.
I agreed sir, the idea were really informative and interesting to be talk..
Hope to have some also weapons idea for suggestions in leveling,

baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

Big Crunch wrote:billy bad ass made a valid point about this. Warriors could then go afk in the graveyard as long as someone is there to heal them or kill the mob and the warrior would get free exp. Obviously its not as simple as i thought initially.
So what if you can only gain defense EXP if you deal out damage?
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

This is because you think of it as an additive bonus. When I said weighted it means, a multiplicative one, just as the "collaborative" bonus.
Also you may define additional specifications such as it is bounded depending on mob hp (given exp points)...
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

In my opinion it is a bad concept to give players experience for taking damage (not just in TMW but in any RPG). A good player should avoid taking unnecessary damage. But when you reward the player when their character gets hurt, you reward them for playing bad.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

Crush wrote:In my opinion it is a bad concept to give players experience for taking damage (not just in TMW but in any RPG). A good player should avoid taking unnecessary damage. But when you reward the player when their character gets hurt, you reward them for playing bad.
I disagree with this, because taking damage isn't necessarily bad. If you're tanking for a mage/archer you may be taking unnecessary damage, but you're "protecting" someone initially. I personally that you should be rewarded for protecting someone, especially if you're a rager as you fight to protect the ones you love!

-BBB
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Crush wrote:In my opinion it is a bad concept to give players experience for taking damage (not just in TMW but in any RPG). A good player should avoid taking unnecessary damage. But when you reward the player when their character gets hurt, you reward them for playing bad.
I didn't invent this Idea. I took it in a Shareware RPG game of the 90's that was developped far beyond than TMW (the set of scenarii can be compared in content and quality to Final Fantasy series): Realmz, by Tim Phillips. In this game your efficiency against a specific mob varied depending on your fighting experience (positive AND negative) with this mob. Of course this was a temporary effect that saturated after some time.
As damage had also negative effect (dieing could make you loose your char), The issue you describe could not happen. Anyway, the most important point that make warriors different from the others is the cumulative damage they take, (maybe I am wrong Freeyorp's stats may say it); and I still think the idea is interesting even if it would require a bit digging in maths to refine it.

Edit: You can download the game, Win version and try it in wine.