map cleanup

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

map cleanup

Post by o11c »

I've been working on a super-secret event, and noticed that a lot of maps have layer violations.

Additionally, the server has problems with noncontigious areas on a single map.

I propose the following as a long-term project:
  • Replace most tile stitching with oversized tiles, and put them on the Fringe layer.
  • Find and fix places where Fringe is misused as Ground2, and such things.
  • Split maps with unconnected areas into multiple maps. A few will not be split - in some of the outside areas you can and should be able to see across an unwalkable cliff.
There is one problem: there are places in the server and in the magic script that hard-code the assumption that maps are of the form ###-#.gat, though nothing is *fatal*. Though I believe suffixes *should* work.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Knight
Knight

Re: map cleanup

Post by 4144 »

if use oversized tiles better oversized only in height.
Oversized width can broke perfomance and can be very bad drawed in client.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

4144 wrote:if use oversized tiles better oversized only in height.
Oversized width can broke perfomance and can be very bad drawed in client.
Then fix the client - you should be able to flatten a 64x64 tileset into a 32x64 tileset at load-time, as long as *overlapping* extrawide tilesets are not used.

You might also be able to optimize the fringe layer based on collisions, but I'm not sure if that would break your multiple-collision-types as used in Evol.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

o11c wrote:Then fix the client - you should be able to flatten a 64x64 tileset into a 32x64 tileset at load-time, as long as *overlapping* extrawide tilesets are not used.
If split tiles, this mean need rebuild whole map or add pseudo layers. all this bad for perfomance.
Anyway now oversized tiles can be drawed with errors. If it already correct drawed, then we speaking about other issues.