Language tab in client

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Is The Mana World should support language tab in client?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 27
Knight
Knight

Language tab in client

Post by 4144 »

I want impliment in ManaPlus language tab. About this feature many times asked players.

It will work for players in visible range like now working "General" and "Trade" tab. Any players can speak in native language here and not disturb other players. For example in "fr" tab players will speak in french, in "ru" in russian etc.
By default client will show only one tab for player language only.

But here one issue in outdated mana clients. This client will see all multilanguages text with funny chars behind it. This issue fixed in mana git version.

Should I impliment this tab or not?

upd: poll added
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Language tab in client

Post by Crush »

I think this should not be done, because it can not be moderated.

The reason for the "speak english in public" rule is not that people are disturbed. It's because there is no way for the game masters to know what people are talking about, so they can not judge if a message is abusive (or even illegal) or not.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

Agreed with Crush.

Also having an official language means players from different countries have a chance to socialize and trade. It's likely they would only use their own language tab and ignore all other players.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Thank you 4144, once again you try to fill the deficiencies of the server for the best of players.
  • pro:
    • In most places English is not moderated too so and hopefully players can speak their own languages without disturbing others; the tabs will make it easier to follow the spirit of the rule.
    • Language tab will make players who do not speak english well feel more welcome in this game.
  • con:
    • As I understand them language tabs use the public channel, and it is against the rules to use it for any other language than English. Thus,if player are allowed to use them, rule have to be changed. GHP owns the decision.
    • If someone insults me in a language I understand, I can't ignore it de facto and don't know how to report it; but it is the same with insult or threatens or phishing in whispers.
    • If you substitute language tabs to (not-only-language) channels/chat rooms which should be a server feature, it will be used as an argument to set this development part to low priority just as it is the case with guild and manamarket bots.
One thing is sure is that they will definitely not prevent players from socializing. Experience shows, and experience is always right, that bad English speakers mostly do their best to talk with other players, even if they can speak their own langage.

Remark: You could have made a poll on this topic
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Nard wrote:Remark: You could have made a poll on this topic
We already know that the "speak english" rule is unpopular, but unfortunately it is necessary to have it. It is impossible to bow to the public opinion in this case. When you provide a public communication plattform, you are required by law to moderate it and prevent any illegal activity. The game masters can only do that when they understand the language which is spoken.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

I would be 100% ok with this if there was a way for the client or server to interpret the language into the client user's language of choice. However I would worry that this solution would prove to make the client rather heavy.
sexy red bearded GM
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Crush wrote: We already know that the "speak english" rule is unpopular, but unfortunately it is necessary to have it. It is impossible to bow to the public opinion in this case. When you provide a public communication plattform, you are required by law to moderate it and prevent any illegal activity. The game masters can only do that when they understand the language which is spoken.
I do not contest this rule, though many other mmorpg, even commercial, do not have it. I hust think that it is impossible to GM and admins to apply it stricto sensu unless someone watches some logs (nobody wants it anyway).
If you need moderators for each langage, then nominate some. It is no more complicated than that. They could also be "official" translators too.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
ChefChelios
Novice
Novice

Post by ChefChelios »

...und lachend stellte der Tod seine Sense beiseite und stieg auf den Mähdrescher, denn es war Krieg.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

We don't moderate party or guildbot chat ... with my planned server-side implementation, #channels will be basically like that, and would be compatible with all clients by appearing as whispers.

Of course, implementing access control will be a bit more complicated ...
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

o11c wrote:We don't moderate party or guildbot chat ... with my planned server-side implementation, #channels will be basically like that, and would be compatible with all clients by appearing as whispers.

Of course, implementing access control will be a bit more complicated ...
Guild Chat has to be moderated by guild leaders and only by them. btw bulit-in guild chat has access control.
Party Chat has to be moderated by Party founders and only by them.
Channel/rooms should be moderated by the players who open them. Why not a party-like invite mechanism?
Piateluca
Novice
Novice

Post by Piateluca »

MadCamel wrote:Agreed with Crush.

Also having an official language means players from different countries have a chance to socialize and trade. It's likely they would only use their own language tab and ignore all other players.
On the other hand new players will see a Language bar and will ask for help easily and not whisper random people that have nicks that looks like their language...
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

Crush wrote:...because it can not be moderated.
What if you /could/ moderate foreign languages though? Like check each message for foreign characters and passing it through like google translate ( http://translate.google.com/translate_a ... &text=hola ) with cURL or something similar?
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

baseballboy wrote:
Crush wrote:...because it can not be moderated.
What if you /could/ moderate foreign languages though? Like check each message for foreign characters and passing it through like google translate ( http://translate.google.com/translate_a ... &text=hola ) with cURL or something similar?
google translate very bad for most languages, it only corrupt sentenses sense.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

4144 wrote:google translate very bad for most languages, it only corrupt sentenses sense.
Especally when ppl not wriet correcly
  • NOT a game master

Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Crush wrote:Especally when ppl not wriet correcly
  • to Arabic:عندما لا Especally شركته تنوي wriet correcly
  • To Chinese: Especally时,脂肪酶不正确地将wriet
  • To Czech: Especally když ppl není wriet correcly
  • to French: "Especally quand ppl pas wriet correcly"
  • to German: Especally, wenn ppl nicht das korrekte wriet
  • to Indonesian: Especally saat ppl tidak wriet correcly
  • to Italian: Especally quando non ppl wriet correcly
  • to Japanese: Especally時PPLはcorrecly wrietません
  • to Polish: Especally gdy nie ppl wriet correcly
  • to Russian: Especally, когда чел не wriet correcly
  • to Slovak: Especally keď ppl nie wriet correcly
  • to Spanish: Especally cuando no PPL wriet correcly

From the very simple french sentence: "Google translator traduit comme une merde"
To english:"Google translator translated as Chocolate Cupcake"
And there is a a mistake: translated instead of translates.

*ingraves the first one who speaks again of google as a translator*

Note: **** Is "s h i t" due to forum censorship.