Allow/switch to CC-BY-SA as license for graphics and sounds

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Allow/switch to CC-BY-SA as license for graphics and sou

Post by Ablu »

Nard wrote: I even doubt that I could give the samples of the base waveforms as they are probably copyrighted... but the data produced with them is free for any kind of distribution :P
I really doubt this.

Hardware dependency should not be an issue. There are many code projects which do not compile on all architectures anyway.

Well this is going in circles and away from the actual problem.

Regards,
Ablu
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Ablu wrote:
Nard wrote: I even doubt that I could give the samples of the base waveforms as they are probably copyrighted... but the data produced with them is free for any kind of distribution :P
I really doubt this.

Hardware dependency should not be an issue. There are many code projects which do not compile on all architectures anyway.

Well this is going in circles and away from the actual problem.

Regards,
Ablu
It is written in bold in the synth docs ( but the data produced with them is free for any kind of distribution). If it was not the case no musician would buy a synth.
and it IS the heart of the problem. Art is Data whether you recognize it or not. It's only source is inspiration and a bit of technique. You can torture GPL as much as you want, this it will not change a iota about it: as long as GPL will impose to publish a source, it will not apply to any kind of art.
Software and algorithm copyrigth longs as much but no more as a patent with renewals; Art copyright longs 50 or 100 years after Authors death.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Nard wrote:Software and algorithm copyrigth longs as much but no more as a patent with renewals; Art copyright longs 50 or 100 years after Authors death.
Um... what? The Berne convention applies to software as well.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Jaxad0127 wrote: Um... what? The Berne convention applies to software as well.
Definitely no:
Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Work wrote:Protected Works: (1) The expression “literary and artistic works” shall include every production in the literary, scientific and artistic domain, whatever may be the mode or form of its expression, such as books, pamphlets and other writings; lectures, addresses, sermons and other works of the same nature; dramatic or dramatico-musical works; choreographic works and entertainments in dumb show; musical compositions with or without words; cinematographic works to which are assimilated works expressed by a process analogous to cinematography; works of drawing, painting, architecture, sculpture, engraving and lithography; photographic works to which are assimilated works expressed by a process analogous to photography; works of applied art; illustrations, maps, plans, sketches and three-dimensional works relative to geography, topography, architecture or science.

(2) It shall, however, be a matter for legislation in the countries of the Union to prescribe that works in general or any specified categories of works shall not be protected unless they have been fixed in some material form.

(3) Translations, adaptations, arrangements of music and other alterations of a literary or artistic work shall be protected as original works without prejudice to the copyright in the original work.

(4) It shall be a matter for legislation in the countries of the Union to determine the protection to be granted to official texts of a legislative, administrative and legal nature, and to official translations of such texts.

(5) Collections of literary or artistic works such as encyclopaedias and anthologies which, by reason of the selection and arrangement of their contents, constitute intellectual creations shall be protected as such, without prejudice to the copyright in each of the works forming part of such collections.

(6) The works mentioned in this Article shall enjoy protection in all countries of the Union. This protection shall operate for the benefit of the author and his successors in title.

(7) Subject to the provisions of Article 7(4) of this Convention, it shall be a matter for legislation in the countries of the Union to determine the extent of the application of their laws to works of applied art and industrial designs and models, as well as the conditions under which such works, designs and models shall be protected. Works protected in the country of origin solely as designs and models shall be entitled in another country of the Union only to such special protection as is granted in that country to designs and models; however, if no such special protection is granted in that country, such works shall be protected as artistic works.

(8) The protection of this Convention shall not apply to news of the day or to miscellaneous facts having the character of mere items of press information.
Afaik: the only part of TMW project that can be concerned are: Original art, and art made after these originals, music, maybe maps, and script dialogs. Software is protected by different laws which are more related to inventions, technical or industrial property (patents) than to "intellectual property. And this is not likely to change as the industrial lobbies push governments in that direction because of the short lifetime of usual software. A well known example: LZW is public domain since 2003.

Note: when speaking about scientific production the convention applies to texts not to content: example: Einsteins 1905 article texts are protected , but not simple relativity theory nor photoeletric or brownian motion effect, or Einstein would have been among the richest men in the world.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

This thread is still about the content, not about the software and certainly not about Einstein.

I agree with Ablu:
Ablu wrote:Well this is going in circles and away from the actual problem.
Please try to stay on-topic and constructive. Note that trying to prove that one is right or wrong when it isn't relevant to the topic at hand, is not constructive.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I now pushed the license file to the main repo. https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-cl ... icense.txt
There are still a lot of contributors not filled in. If you know who's the author of some item which is lacking that information, please let us know. :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Jenalya wrote:I now pushed the license file to the main repo. https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-cl ... icense.txt
There are still a lot of contributors not filled in. If you know who's the author of some item which is lacking that information, please let us know. :)
These graphics are by me:
graphics/images/ambient/sandstorm.png
graphics/items/equipment/chest/lightplatemail.png
graphics/items/generic/crystal.png
graphics/items/generic/easteregg-blue.png
graphics/items/generic/easteregg-green.png
graphics/items/generic/easteregg-pink.png
graphics/items/generic/easteregg-red.png
graphics/items/generic/easteregg-teal.png
graphics/items/generic/easteregg-yellow.png
graphics/items/generic/fabric.png
graphics/items/generic/hardspike.png
graphics/items/generic/ironore.png
graphics/items/generic/pinkantennae.png
graphics/items/generic/powder.png
graphics/items/generic/santacookie.png
graphics/items/generic/whitefur.png

graphics/particles/aniblaze-large.png
graphics/particles/aniblaze-medium.png
graphics/particles/aniblaze.png
graphics/particles/blaze.png
graphics/particles/bubble_8px.png
graphics/particles/bubble_12px.png
graphics/particles/bubble_32px.png graphics/particles/fog-medium-a.png
graphics/particles/fog-medium-b.png
graphics/particles/fog-medium-c.png
graphics/particles/glow-medium.png
graphics/particles/glow-small.png
graphics/particles/gloworb-medium.png
graphics/particles/gloworb-small.png
graphics/particles/orb-large.png
graphics/particles/orb-medium.png
graphics/particles/orb-small.png
graphics/particles/star-medium.png
graphics/particles/star-small.png

graphics/sprites/error.png

graphics/sprites/equipment/chest/lightplatemail-female.png
graphics/sprites/equipment/chest/lightplatemail-male.png

graphics/sprites/monsters/pinkie.png

graphics/tiles/icecave.png (based on cave.png)
graphics/tiles/woodland_indoor_x2.png
graphics/tiles/woodland_indoor_x3.png
graphics/tiles/woodland_indoor.png (with Meway)
graphics/tiles/Woodland_village_x2.png
graphics/tiles/Woodland_village.png
graphics/tiles/Woodland_x2.png (with Saphy)
graphics/tiles/Woodland_x3.png (with Len and Saphy)

These are by Saphy, IIRC:
graphics/tilesets/Woodland_x4.png
graphics/tilesets/Woodland_x5.png
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Thanks Crush. :) I added you and saphy as authors to the respective files you listed, does this commit look all right?
https://github.com/jtoelke/tmwa-client- ... fe25f2875f

Regarding the tilesets, is your list complete, or might there be more contributors? I left a '????' in there for now.
And about the ice cave, I took over the author from the cave tileset, since you said the ice cave is based on that, I'm not sure if that's the correct way to handle that.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I'm sorry, but I made a mistake: The additional tiles to woodland_indoor.png were contributed by Yosuhara, not Meway. Sorry, that was 6 years ago, and my memory is a bit fuzzy.
  • NOT a game master

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Crush wrote:I'm sorry, but I made a mistake: The additional tiles to woodland_indoor.png were contributed by Yosuhara, not Meway. Sorry, that was 6 years ago, and my memory is a bit fuzzy.
Ok, I pushed a fixup to my fork, which I'm going to squash when pushing it to the main repo: https://github.com/jtoelke/tmwa-client- ... e876b77773
But everything else looks all right?
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Jenalya wrote:But everything else looks all right?
Well, when I created the file, I put the unknown artist first (="????"), then I go through the known artists by alphabetical order to avoid any jealousy of any kind.
For example:

Code: Select all

graphics/tiles/icecave.png (Octalot, Crush, ????) 
should be:

Code: Select all

graphics/tiles/icecave.png (????, Crush, Octalot) 

It's just a matter of consistency, like always... /me hides
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

When they are known when it applies, the order should be Author, contributors, because the author chooses the license first, and the others have to respect it if the license applies.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Nard wrote:When they are known when it applies, the order should be Author, contributors, because the author chooses the license first, and the others have to respect it if the license applies.
I generally agree, but I tink for tilesets it might not always be clear who's the author and who are contributors, in case several people created different tiles which then were put together.

With Alige's system applied, it looks like this:
https://github.com/jtoelke/tmwa-client- ... 1271ea73a6

If we start put the original artist/main author first, maybe we should change the format to make the distinction more clear. The question is whether we'll be able to find out that information in all cases.

Crush, about the woodland tilesets, do you know if there might be more contributors?
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Question:
If I want to contribute toe TMW can I
  • Publish script and maps under GPl v2 and following?
  • Publish art (Pixels and music) under CC BY SA v3 and following (not GPL)?
  • Wiki texts under Gnu FDL? ( why not GPL for this one?)
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Nard wrote:Question:
If I want to contribute toe TMW can I
  • Publish script and maps under GPl v2 and following?
  • Publish art (Pixels and music) under CC BY SA v3 and following (not GPL)?
  • Wiki texts under Gnu FDL? ( why not GPL for this one?)
As I already said, there might be legal issues combining GPL-only licensed art with CC-BY-SA-only licensed art in the game, that's why we currently still require GPL for art that goes into the game data.

I just pushed the additions about Crush's and Saphy's graphics: https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-cl ... a82b67063e
Currently it's following Alige's way of ordering them alphabetically, since if we're going to change that, we should change it in the entire file.