TEST: bugfixes on Brodomir and Candle Helmet quest

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

TEST: bugfixes on Brodomir and Candle Helmet quest

Post by Jenalya »

On the testserver there are currently bugfixes available which we'd like more testing on before we put it on the mainserver.

1) Brodomir PVP cave (@warp 009-6)
There was a problem with setting several equipment items as prize.
While testing you should try out different amounts of items as prize, and pay attention to wether they get deleted correctly from your inventory before the fight, and if it is given to the winner correctly after the fight (or back to the sponsor if the fight can't take place).

2) Candle Helmet quest (@warp 009-4 36 114)
o11c did some restructuring on the torch logic, to avoid the bug with a "torch out of range".
While testing you should do the quest normally, and try all different kind of things with the torches, changing the colors in different ways. Ideally this should be tested multiple times with different characters.

If you test and doesn't find anything wrong, please let us know here about that nevertheless, so can have an idea of how much testing happened.
Thanks! :)
Johanne Laliberté
Novice
Novice

Re: TEST: bugfixes on Brodomir and Candle Helmet quest

Post by Johanne Laliberté »

Hi Jenalya,

Orum Quest testing.

I was starting for the dialog with Orum stuffs: Now he needs 10 Piles of Sand or Piles of Ash.

Because I want to try it with the Piles of Sand, so tell me who drops the Pile of Sand and what is the ID of this item?

Thank you, :)
Dream today, to see what we will do tomorrow.
Rêver aujourd'hui pour savoir ce que l'on fera demain.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Johanne Laliberté wrote:Because I want to try it with the Piles of Sand, so tell me who drops the Pile of Sand and what is the ID of this item?
That item doesn't exist, I assume the author of the dialog put it there for additional background story. Similiar to the Wumpus Eggs Rauk talks about.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Did the brodomir quest and it seems fine. I'll test the orum tomorrow.

BC
sexy red bearded GM
Zopar
Peon
Peon

Post by Zopar »

Hi, I started the quest by myself today just to see what it was about. It took money as prize ok and timed out just fine. However when I started it again and put in 1 apple ... (I had 188 in inventory), It said item not found. I typed in RedApple with no white spaces again and same thing happened, item not found. I tried to take a screenshot with p key and it wouldn't take screen shot either. So I typed in Red Apple and it said same thing which it should do because of white space. Next I had 2 chocolate bars so I tried them and it worked ok. While it was timing down 10 min. I went and killed red slime until I got 1 red apple... gave me 189 in inventory. I went back after 10 min time out and typed in RedApple no white space again, everything worked like it was suppose to this time. Using up 1 apple for mp didn't matter I could not duplicate the problem again after several attempts. It worked fine with shirt as prize etc.. I had no problem getting things back after 10 min. time out.

Note : Only thing that might make a difference is, I used the GM command last time on server to get 200 apples so I didn't actually kill slime or earn the apples that were already in inventory.
Fewer things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
- Mark Twain
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Thanks for the testing and feedback! :)
Zopar wrote:It worked fine with shirt as prize etc.. I had no problem getting things back after 10 min. time out.
Did you try it out with several amounts of shirts?
Zopar wrote: Note : Only thing that might make a difference is, I used the GM command last time on server to get 200 apples so I didn't actually kill slime or earn the apples that were already in inventory.
It shouldn't make any difference whether the item was gained as drop or created with gm commands, or anything else. I just tried out the RedApple thing myself, and it worked fine. So without a way to reproduce that bug, I don't really know where to look for it.
Zopar
Peon
Peon

Post by Zopar »

I just had the one shirt but when i got the RedApple not found message I did check the spelling and all it was correct. I say if it can't be reproduced don't worry about it. I'll try again and again later on. I did try it with my other character and everything worked fine with me also.
- Mark Twain
Zopar
Peon
Peon

Post by Zopar »

Ok, I found another small bug.

Note: Unequipped the shirt I am wearing (first?) or adding the same item in with the number of prizes?

I created another character not sure if it makes any difference. The (RedApple item not found) I can't reproduce. That seems to work fine now.

However I did this... I made my one shirt and one pants for character. Went to cave and made 13 more shirts and 15 pants. Total of 14 Shirts with the one I'm equipped in inventory. I put 12 up for prize and after clicking ok 12 shirts went up for prize but it unequipped my shirt I was wearing. I am able to reproduce this.
- Mark Twain
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Zopar wrote:However I did this... I made my one shirt and one pants for character. Went to cave and made 13 more shirts and 15 pants. Total of 14 Shirts with the one I'm equipped in inventory. I put 12 up for prize and after clicking ok 12 shirts went up for prize but it unequipped my shirt I was wearing. I am able to reproduce this.
I assume the server takes the first 12 shirts it finds in the inventory, ignoring whether they are equipped or not. I tried out what happens if I equip the last one of the shirts, and enter a number lower than the number of shirts I have, and it doesn't unequip (because it takes the ones which are earlier in the inventory.)
I don't think there's anything we can do about that from content side. o11c, would it be possible to fix on server side, taking items which are not equipped with higher priority than ones that are equipped?
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Jenalya wrote:I don't think there's anything we can do about that from content side.
Correct.
Jenalya wrote:o11c, would it be possible to fix on server side, taking items which are not equipped with higher priority than ones that are equipped?
Ugh, equipment handling is a pain already ... I'll look into it when I rewrite that area - I do *not* want to duplicate code, and I definitely can't just ignore already-equipped items.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Zopar wrote:Ok, I found another small bug.

Note: Unequipped the shirt I am wearing (first?) or adding the same item in with the number of prizes?

I created another character not sure if it makes any difference. The (RedApple item not found) I can't reproduce. That seems to work fine now.

However I did this... I made my one shirt and one pants for character. Went to cave and made 13 more shirts and 15 pants. Total of 14 Shirts with the one I'm equipped in inventory. I put 12 up for prize and after clicking ok 12 shirts went up for prize but it unequipped my shirt I was wearing. I am able to reproduce this.
There is a similar weird thing when you trade. Sometimes equipments items appear stacked and sometimes not. I could not determine exactly where is the borderline, what is sure is that you need "enough" items in inventory between to similar ones for the stack to be splitted . But I try to keep equipped items (and alternate equipment) on top of inventory ( probably as first elements of the table). With the tests I made, it seems that when you sell items are deleted from the bottom of inventory to the top (higher index?). Maybe 4144 looked at this problem before because , if I remind well, Mana 028.1 behaved different.

Perhaps would it be possible to compare the way server deletes item in inventory when called from a shop and when called by delitem so that they behave the same (preferably as the shop)?
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Hm, looks like for shops, the client specifically sends the indices to be deleted, whereas in scripts it does the standard loop-index method (which is still silly)
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

During the last server restart, the fixes on these two quests got on the main server. But we got some reports that there are still issues with the rewards of the PvP Cave, so I disabled the NPC on the main server again.

So there's more testing on this needed.