Reviving discussion on death penalty.

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Kestrel
Peon
Peon

Re: Reviving discussion on death penalty.

Post by Kestrel »

Having some risk would make the game a bit more exciting.
Just hit the players with some exp loss, that should discourage them from abusing death for free teleports.
I don't see why this has to be so complicated.
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

This depends on your feeling about this scenario:

I have now finished an intense quest, deep in some cave. Time to return and collect my reward. /suicide

or

Finally, I've saved enough money to buy my new sword! Time to return to town! /suicide

Free death might as well be accompanied by a free teleport option.

On that note, I like death punishment. Even if it is just superficial (ie A counter)
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Personally I'm not a fan of exp loss on death. If you are in the gy or some other heavily mobbed area, just a tiny bit of lag (locally or server) can kill you. Also, we still have those that think its the funniest thing ever to grab every monster in the graveyard and drag it to the entrance.

BC
sexy red bearded GM
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Big Crunch wrote:Personally I'm not a fan of exp loss on death. If you are in the gy or some other heavily mobbed area, just a tiny bit of lag (locally or server) can kill you. Also, we still have those that think its the funniest thing ever to grab every monster in the graveyard and drag it to the entrance.

BC
Which is why my proposal makes it optional.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

My thought would be to have option 1: Have a timer, option 2: Have a maze to navigate. If you get through the maze in X amount of time you are docked nothing, if you dont, you are docked Y exp.

The timer would have to be something like 45-60 sec, where the maze would have a 15-20 sec timer

BC
sexy red bearded GM