[WIP] Mob: Wicked Mushroom & Moonshroom

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[WIP] Mob: Wicked Mushroom & Moonshroom

Post by Cassy »

[Subject renamed]

I already showed the dark gray version in the IRC.
Thanks for your critism again, I agree it is (still) too much gray.

So I was experimenting with the colors... guess a little too much since I got a new idea, which is the first Shroom:
Moonshroom2.png
Moonshroom2.png (1.55 KiB) Viewed 5713 times
Second one is the above mentioned I showed in the IRC.

Please note, that the idea of the second version was mine, but I had help with the shading and horns.
The idea of the brick in the hat wasn't mine, though I created it.

Can you give me a feedback about these two guys, including whether I should concentrate on one or both of these?
Of course the second one still needs some colors.

Btw: Since licenses are a big topic these days:
I want, that graphics I create can be used in TMW (if you want of course) and can be changed by others anytime (in this case please let my finish my work ;) ).
I only want my name to be mentioned, that I'm the author.
CC BY SA is the licence I'm looking for, isn't it?

In this case... am I the author? I didn't create the Spiky or Evil Mushroom...
Last edited by Cassy on 03 Jun 2013, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: [WIP] Mob: Evil versions of a Mushroom

Post by o11c »

Cassy wrote:Btw: Since licenses are a big topic these days:
I want, that graphics I create can be used in TMW (if you want of course) and can be changed by others anytime (in this case please let my finish my work ;) ).
I only want my name to be mentioned, that I'm the author.
CC BY SA is the licence I'm looking for, isn't it?

In this case... am I the author? I didn't create the Spiky or Evil Mushroom...
After careful investigation, we have determined that we cannot legally use contributions that are only licensed under CC-BY-SA. But in any case, you would not be able to license this under CC unless the original work was also under CC.

But, the protections you wish are available in the GPL. All you have to do is add a notice that contains your name, the date, and the name of the license ("GPL"), and anyone who gets a copy is required to preserve it.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

I'm not a pixel artist but I think both of those look pretty amazing. I really like the black one.

The one on the left is more of a "Magic Mushroom" :lol: Something seems off about it's hat but I cannot put my finger on it.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

I love the feel behind this concept. Brings back the colourful, magical, fantasy sense you get from the woodland. :)

Nice cap on the one on the left! Reminds me of a starry sky. Perhaps it's magical? A neat effect could be a sort of parallax movement, where the sky doesn't shift at the same speed as the rest of the mushroom. The cap would look like a portal into the sky. :)

The dark one seems to have a stonelike, or perhaps ashen, texture. It feels like it the sort of thing you'd encounter in a volcanic region. I'm not sure that there's any area that would be well suited to that at the moment. Perhaps we should see if anyone's around and make one? A volcano area would be a pretty awesome thing to have, though that would be no mean feat. Maybe we could add something to the west of the mouboo hills? I'll have to look around to find the old plans, but from memory it was going to be a very cliffy area eventually reaching the sea.

Regarding licensing, it's a touchy subject at that moment. Sorry about the upcoming wall of text, but it's all too easy to gloss over the issue, and I think it's important to explain the situation that TMW is in, why it has to ask for what it asks for at the moment, and how people are working to fix things.

A long, long time ago, TMW decided to require GPL for all artwork. GPL probably wouldn't have seemed like an unreasonable choice at the time. After all, it's a free license that ensures that things stay free, that people can use it, and that any credit the author wants is preserved. Unfortunately, GPL has lots of subtle problems when it comes to art. Definitions that are clear and obvious for programming are unclear and could have many different interpretations when it comes to art. That's why a lot of people are trying to get all the people that have contributed art in the past to also let TMW use their works under CC-BY-SA, which is a far better license for this sort of thing.

GPL and CC-BY-SA do not play nicely with each other. Both have copyleft provisions, which say that if you make something new from a work under that license, then it must be released under the terms of that license. There is a good reason for this, as it ensures that a work will stay free.

But when you have one work that is only under GPL, and another that is only under CC-BY-SA, and want to combine the two, you're in a bad position. [CC-BY-SA is what's known as "GPL incompatible"]. You can't just release the new work under either, because GPL doesn't give others the right to put derivative works under CC-BY-SA, and CC-BY-SA doesn't give others the right to put derivative works under the GPL. Since the new work is derived from both, this can cause people to get stuck.

So in order for people to be able to freely work with things, we need to be able to say that all TMW art is available under at least one a common license at any one time. But the only license TMW can currently do this with is GPL. So in order for people to be able to freely combine everything TMW has, TMW has to keep asking for new contributors to let us use their works under GPL as well, no matter how much we want to move away from the past.

When TMW has tracked down and got permission from the old authors, and replaced any works which TMW hasn't been able to get permission to use under CC-BY-SA with replacement works that TMW can use under CC-BY-SA, then TMW can stop asking for new works to also be made available under the GPL. Unfortunately, getting permission from everyone to use CC-BY-SA can't just happen overnight. There are a lot of people that have contributed to TMW over the years. People are working hard to fix things (special thanks goes out to Ali-G and Reid for all their hard work!), but until then, TMW is forced to ask that people let us use anything new under both GPL and CC-BY-SA.

I don't think anyone will mind if you don't want to release you work under the GPL now, and instead wait until TMW is in a position to accept works that are only CC-BY-SA. It's up to you, and nobody wants to force you to do something you don't want to do. But if you do want these mushrooms to be CC-BY-SA only, it limits what can be done.

For instance, I'd love to be able to search through old threads to see if there are any volcanic concept tiles around, open up GIMP, and place your second mushroom on top of them, and upload them to this thread so people can see how they'd look together.

But, (fair use aside, which isn't available in all jurisdictions) I can't do this. The GPL tiles would demand that the combined image be released under the GPL. But your CC-BY-SA only mushrooms wouldn't allow me to do so. The CC-BY-SA mushrooms would demand that the combined image be released under CC-BY-SA. But the GPL only tiles wouldn't allow me to do so. In the end, I wouldn't be able to do anything.

Sorry about the long winded explanation. I hope this helps to clear things up, and doesn't distract from your awesome new mushrooms. :)

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Hello Cassy: I really like these edits. They are not just recolors but really add something new to them. I think you should finish the other animation phases.

Regarding licensing: The original mushroom sprites are GPL, so any derived work based on them must also be GPL. But you are really thinking too much about this. The licenses are pretty much the same in intention.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Thanks for your answers :)

A little addition, I forgot to mention this:
Jenalya wrote:I need some evil or creepy versions of woodland monsters for the Orum and Waric follow-up quest I'm working on.
Source

So the "evil versions of a Mushroom" are my thoughts for this topic.
But I like your ideas, Freeyorp :)

Jenalya, can you tell me which version you prefer for this?
Still the dark gray one (but adding colors... somehow)?
I'll finish the version you prefer first then :wink:
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Wow, i really appreciate those re-designs. Just looks lovely!

I sure hope that the dark magic path will be able summon those black shrooms!
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

I'm not usually a fan of just recoloring a monster but wow! these looks amazing :D I really love them. Well done.

I love the fact it shows some what of a different design rather than *just* a recolor.

regards,
Chicka
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I really like both of them!
For the purpose of my quest I think the dark one works better, since the midnight one looks kind of friendly, even with the grim face. Maybe we could think about another context where we could use it, though I currently don't have a fitting idea.

If you have troubles to get the dark one away from being mostly greyscale, I think it can work with the current colors.
Thanks for working on this. :)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Jenalya wrote:I really like both of them!
For the purpose of my quest I think the dark one works better, since the midnight one looks kind of friendly, even with the grim face. Maybe we could think about another context where we could use it, though I currently don't have a fitting idea.
I've had some ideas about a really tall mountain where this and similar mobs could be. Maybe alternate dimension (I have plans for the second level of woodland mines involving this).
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

I could probably Use the one with the moon on its head for my Egyptian/desert project if the sprite sheet is finished. Would give the area a new MOB to have :) If you agree to it.

regards
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Jenalya, can you take a look at these:
BlackShroom3.png
BlackShroom3.png (2.13 KiB) Viewed 5536 times
It's hard for me to bring colors into that shroom without making its "image" totally different.
I think the hat shouldn't change too much, only the body.
Can you use one of these?

I'd then also like to suggest names for this Shroom, depending on which version you choose ;)

About the Moonshroom:
I will continue working on it after the other Shroom is finished.
I had a pretty freaky idea, which will cause a lot of work (and learning :wink: ) for me, so it will take some time.
Main characters:

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Cassy wrote:Can you use one of these?

I'd then also like to suggest names for this Shroom, depending on which version you choose ;)
I think the third one, with the green tinch, works very well. :)
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Jenalya wrote:I think the third one, with the green tinch, works very well. :)
Oki, great. I'll work on the other sprites then.

Meanwhile Nightghost and me were thinking about names, feel free to discuss about them:
Spearshroom
Toxicshroom or Toxishroom
Sinister Mushroom
Devilshroom
Greenhorn (ok, this one is just for fun :D )
Main characters:

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Cassy wrote: Meanwhile Nightghost and me were thinking about names, feel free to discuss about them:
Spearshroom
Toxicshroom or Toxishroom
Sinister Mushroom
Devilshroom
Greenhorn (ok, this one is just for fun :D )
So far I've been working with 'Wicked Mushroom' while developing, but I'm open to use another name. :)
About the names you suggested, if we use Toxishroom, I suppose it should be poisonous - that could be done, just would be another factor to pay attention to while balancing the quest. I'd avoid something like Devilshroom, since we don't have the concept of a 'devil' in the game world, so that name would be kind of out of character.