Splash damage from certain monsters

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Splash damage from certain monsters

Post by Jaxad0127 »

The test server currently has all monsters giving splash damage. This is weird for most monsters. Others, though, should have splash damage.

Splash damage means that every player character in a certain range will get damaged. The target of the attack will take more damage, though.

Proposed list of splash damaging monsters:
  • All skulls
  • All goblins
  • All mushrooms (they use spore cloud attacks)
  • Jack O
  • Bees (they represent a swarm)
  • Wisps
  • Spectres
  • Poltergeists
  • Ball Lightning
  • Blue Spark
  • Red Spark
  • Luvia
  • Demonic Spirit
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Splash damage from certain monsters

Post by Big Crunch »

Jaxad0127 wrote:The test server currently has all monsters giving splash damage. This is weird for most monsters. Others, though, should have splash damage.

Splash damage means that every player character in a certain range will get damaged. The target of the attack will take more damage, though.

• All skulls
  • All goblins
  • Jack O
  • Wisps
  • Spectres
  • Poltergeists
  • Ball Lightning
  • Blue Spark
  • Red Spark
  • Luvia
  • Demonic Spirit
Do you have an idea on how they should deal splash damage? Meaning, for example, mushrooms should deal splash damage to everything in a one tile radius, goblins should deal damage to all on a single tile, but not surrounding tiles, etc.
sexy red bearded GM
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

If bees do splash damage you should remove them from Hurnscald because nothing is more annoying than **** who run around with a swarm of bees attacking them killing everyone ideling in town
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Big Crunch wrote:
Jaxad0127 wrote:The test server currently has all monsters giving splash damage. This is weird for most monsters. Others, though, should have splash damage.

• All skulls
  • All goblins
  • Jack O
  • Wisps
  • Spectres
  • Poltergeists
  • Ball Lightning
  • Blue Spark
  • Red Spark
  • Luvia
  • Demonic Spirit
Do you have an idea on how they should deal splash damage? Meaning, for example, mushrooms should deal splash damage to everything in a one tile radius, goblins should deal damage to all on a single tile, but not surrounding tiles, etc.
At the moment, everything has the same splash radius. Having a variable splash radius is being looked into.
tux9th wrote:If bees do splash damage you should remove them from Hurnscald because nothing is more annoying than **** who run around with a swarm of bees attacking them killing everyone ideling in town
Good point. Lets not have the normal bees on this list.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I changed the config of the test server so that the Stable Server has splash disabled (like main) and the Testing Server has splash cranked up to 5 (which is, admittedly, ridiculous without distance weakening, but should be useful to test. But: I *dare* you to beat Illia in "hard mode")
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Was there not already a splash damage test? I thought a majority of the game voted no and thats why it wasn't added. I still cant say I would enjoy this in game especially the skulls and such they already do so much damage to one person anybody can drag monsters to someone and abuse them constantly by killing them using the splash damage effect.
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Chicka-Maria wrote:Was there not already a splash damage test? I thought a majority of the game voted no and thats why it wasn't added. I still cant say I would enjoy this in game especially the skulls and such they already do so much damage to one person anybody can drag monsters to someone and abuse them constantly by killing them using the splash damage effect.
For global use, yes. But now I know how to enable it on a per-monster basis. But didn't I already fix the town problem?
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

o11c wrote:
Chicka-Maria wrote:Was there not already a splash damage test? I thought a majority of the game voted no and thats why it wasn't added. I still cant say I would enjoy this in game especially the skulls and such they already do so much damage to one person anybody can drag monsters to someone and abuse them constantly by killing them using the splash damage effect.
For global use, yes. But now I know how to enable it on a per-monster basis. But didn't I already fix the town problem?
What about when someones not in town and they are simply leveling alone? it doesn't stop someone from dragging mobs with splash damage towards you and killing you constantly.

As suggested before maybe with certain mobs splash damage could be reduced greatly.. and I'm talking about 10 damage here. That gives splash damage effect and the chance for the other player to get away If the splash damage is from abuse.

The problem I have with the list is the luvia quest monsters, they are difficult enough to defeat especially on hard mode, with splash it would be next to impossible.

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

o11c wrote:
Chicka is right and splash damage was even pushed to main server for a while ( thus tested in real dimension). It showed big issues and inconsistencies (undead especially). At the moment some mobs have splash damage: bees, white and blue slimes, Luvia.
This topic was discussed ( widely) in
Board index » General » Feedback » Splash damage changes
Among Jaxad's examples which are not already effective I retain only mushrooms, for the reason he gave, but in my opinion splash damage would make sense if there was elemental damage. With the exception of blast I don't see why physical attacks should splash. Also some mobs are tough enough not to introduce more difficulties which would break the actual balance.

Note: Demonic spirits + Lag = huge splash damage ( try Illia sisters quest please)
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
v0id
Novice
Novice

Post by v0id »

At the moment some mobs have splash damage: bees, white and blue slimes, Luvia.
At the moment, Luvia doesn't have the 3x3 splash damage she was supposed to have, due to limitations, though its design says she should.

The other mobs you mentionned do not exactly have splash damage, but deal splash damage on self destruct.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Nard wrote:
o11c wrote:
Chicka is right and splash damage was even pushed to main server for a while ( thus tested in real dimension). It showed big issues and inconsistencies (undead especially). At the moment some mobs have splash damage: bees, white and blue slimes, Luvia.
This topic was discussed ( widely) in
Board index » General » Feedback » Splash damage changes
Among Jaxad's examples which are not already effective I retain only mushrooms, for the reason he gave, but in my opinion splash damage would make sense if there was elemental damage. With the exception of blast I don't see why physical attacks should splash. Also some mobs are tough enough not to introduce more difficulties which would break the actual balance.

Note: Demonic spirits + Lag = huge splash damage ( try Illia sisters quest please)
physical attacks shouldn't splash, but this list has no physical attacks. skulls project clouds, as do the goblins, wisps show a nah type attack but are essentially balls of light, doing (in my opinion) some kind of magical damage, the Sparks and lightning balls do electricity etc. the trick will be making them splash only on the tiles they are attacking. When it was first pushed, they just did a basic splash that was ill conceived. this should be much more accurate.

BC
sexy red bearded GM
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

v0id wrote:At the moment, Luvia doesn't have the 3x3 splash damage she was supposed to have, due to limitations, though its design says she should.

The other mobs you mentioned do not exactly have splash damage, but deal splash damage on self destruct.
Sorry, I thought she still had. I didn't have many occasions to fight her as a warrior yet, also I didn't see :

Code: Select all

-1102,Luvia@SC_SPLASHER,any,189,1,10000,0,10000,no,target,always,0,,,,,, 
in
https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... ill_db.txt
I also forgot in the list Ball Lightening which has also self destruct skill.
@o11c:

Code: Select all

1049,Bee@NPC_SELFDESTRUCTION,attack,175,1,1000,0,500,yes,self,notintown,0,30,...
Bee shoud not splash in town.
Big Crunch wrote:physical attacks shouldn't splash, but this list has no physical attacks. skulls project clouds, as do the goblins, wisps show a nah type attack but are essentially balls of light, doing (in my opinion) some kind of magical damage, the Sparks and lightning balls do electricity etc. the trick will be making them splash only on the tiles they are attacking. When it was first pushed, they just did a basic splash that was ill conceived. this should be much more accurate.
All the damages you describes are elemental damages which not implemented in game. Poison skull should for example poison all beings aroud, fire mobs burn in in the shoot direction. Why should wisps ploltergeist and spectre splash instead of while they focus on a single target?. This is why I said the splash should not be a physical attack which it is at the moment (the only avaialble one). Also if Splash is implemented it should affect all beeings around and scattered through them and decrease with distance. If mobs can splash players should be able to splash too (with the advantages and incoveniences); but we discussed all this already...
I think the fruit is not ripe enough. We should probably design a specific mob to test what is possible to do before spreading it to existing ones.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Nard wrote:
Big Crunch wrote:physical attacks shouldn't splash, but this list has no physical attacks. skulls project clouds, as do the goblins, wisps show a nah type attack but are essentially balls of light, doing (in my opinion) some kind of magical damage, the Sparks and lightning balls do electricity etc. the trick will be making them splash only on the tiles they are attacking. When it was first pushed, they just did a basic splash that was ill conceived. this should be much more accurate.
All the damages you describes are elemental damages which not implemented in game. Poison skull should for example poison all beings aroud, fire mobs burn in in the shoot direction. Why should wisps ploltergeist and spectre splash instead of while they focus on a single target?. This is why I said the splash should not be a physical attack which it is at the moment (the only avaialble one). Also if Splash is implemented it should affect all beeings around and scattered through them and decrease with distance. If mobs can splash players should be able to splash too (with the advantages and incoveniences); but we discussed all this already...
I think the fruit is not ripe enough. We should probably design a specific mob to test what is possible to do before spreading it to existing ones.
I was thinking that the WIsp, et al, are magic and the (short) splash was a shockwave of energy. Once we get per-monster range working, we can limit it to the same tile.

Having spells do splash damage should be doable.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Nard wrote: All the damages you describes are elemental damages which not implemented in game. Poison skull should for example poison all beings aroud, fire mobs burn in in the shoot direction. Why should wisps ploltergeist and spectre splash instead of while they focus on a single target?. This is why I said the splash should not be a physical attack which it is at the moment (the only avaialble one). Also if Splash is implemented it should affect all beeings around and scattered through them and decrease with distance. If mobs can splash players should be able to splash too (with the advantages and incoveniences); but we discussed all this already...
I disagree that splash should affect all beings around. The poison skull sprays poison in a specific direction. All players directly in the path of that spray should recieve splash damage. It can be debated whether the players on either side of the direct spray should be affected.

Regarding the wisps, et al, I've never seen them as a purely physical entity. I mean they are floating balls of light. It can be debated whether they use purely physical attacks.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, I understand that the server doesnt currently differentiate between physical and elemental attacks. I'm just referring to the overall concept of the mob, rather than the server's application of damage.

BC
sexy red bearded GM
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Big Crunch wrote:]I disagree that splash should affect all beings around. The poison skull sprays poison in a specific direction. All players directly in the path of that spray should recieve splash damage. It can be debated whether the players on either side of the direct spray should be affected.

Regarding the wisps, et al, I've never seen them as a purely physical entity. I mean they are floating balls of light. It can be debated whether they use purely physical attacks.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, I understand that the server doesnt currently differentiate between physical and elemental attacks. I'm just referring to the overall concept of the mob, rather than the server's application of damage.

BC
I think we are :D. I think about splash as a concept, and thinks that the way it actually is implemented lacks of consitency.
When I said poison skull could poison all around , I thought about a cloud just as you mentioned in your previous post, with no special direction (the cloud could affect for example, beings in a 3x3 square in front of the skull). With fire skull and goblin I thought more to a directional heat emission. I like your idea of "floating balls of light" (splash would be better called flash then) but, at the moment I can't see how to transpose it in game. Some darkness weapons and spells would have to be conceived to fight them.
Some physics laws should govern this world too. What I stick to is that maximum global energy blown (crit dmg?) remains constant whether it is by mob or by player; and that it fades with distance and time. If a blow affects 2 players, the global damage remains constant and has to be shared (randomly?) between targets. This should hold whatever the kind of energy it is: elemental or "physical".