Clerics and invocation magic

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

KrofGninut-H0nk
Newly Registered User

Clerics and invocation magic

Post by KrofGninut-H0nk »

An idea for a branch of magic...

What if some mages (clerics) had the power to make requests of a GM or admin?
Of course, this would probably involve making a sacrifice of some valuable items, and can backfire if the GM/admin thinks you are wasting his time (such as getting banned for the day, or being cursed with random deaths).

But this is a way to invoke the power of "gods" in a way that involves human evaluation of a situation.
To keep silly people from abusing it, it should be a very high level form of magic that would only be accessable to people who have invested a lot of effort playing this game (the newer the player, the less likely the request will be taken seriously).
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Clerics and invocation magic

Post by Crush »

About what kind of "request" are you talking here and what's the difference from contacting the GMs/admins normally?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
KrofGninut-H0nk
Newly Registered User

Crush wrote:About what kind of "request" are you talking here and what's the difference from contacting the GMs/admins normally?

I would guess that the form and requirements for casting this "request" would cause it to be taken more seriously, and for it to be concerning things that are normally not a GMs/admins business.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

That doesn't really seem like a good idea. We don't want GMs to be partial toward anyone.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

This reminds me of the [Chaplain role in Space Station 13].

The admins there act as more traditional DMs, and the platform allows more flexibility with what they can do. There are many hidden fun items that are accessible only through admin intervention for boring rounds, and they have greater flexibility with what they can do with View Vars (VV) variable editing for characters (and every single little thing in the game).

I quite like the thought of more human oriented gameplay, and for GMs to be able to run interesting events beyond "try to kill me". TMW isn't that RP heavy, and things aren't partitioned into rounds. Because of this, it's harder to create the equivalent of a non-round critical role with IC reasons to pray for Fun when things get dull. It's a neat idea, though. :)

[Honk.] ;)

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
KrofGninut-H0nk
Newly Registered User

Freeyorp101 wrote:This reminds me of the [Chaplain role in Space Station 13].

The admins there act as more traditional DMs, and the platform allows more flexibility with what they can do. There are many hidden fun items that are accessible only through admin intervention for boring rounds, and they have greater flexibility with what they can do with View Vars (VV) variable editing for characters (and every single little thing in the game).

I quite like the thought of more human oriented gameplay, and for GMs to be able to run interesting events beyond "try to kill me". TMW isn't that RP heavy, and things aren't partitioned into rounds. Because of this, it's harder to create the equivalent of a non-round critical role with IC reasons to pray for Fun when things get dull. It's a neat idea, though. :)

[Honk.] ;)

---Freeyorp

Yeah, the balance is that the summoned GM can easily decide to do you more harm than good if you annoy him.

Also, H0nk XD (read the page, and sees where homestuck got the reference for a clown-made inn of horns).