Trade City (and surroundings)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Trade City (and surroundings)

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I've started planning and mapping the area around Trade City (including the city itself), also known as Northern or Central Argaes. This will expand map 055-1 and 056-1 and replace 057-1 completely. My overall layout is roughly based on what the wiki has, but with notable changes that I will list here. Trade City will be coastal (on what I'm calling Argaes Bay). The eastern pass will have a military checkpoint separating this area from the dangerous plains to the east. The farming village is being merged with a fishing village on the north west coast, in a break in the mountains. The lake is still there (called Lake Mistrala), but it drains in two directions, south past the west wall of Trade City, and east to the military checkpoint and into the plains; it extends east quite a ways. There will be a lake-side castle the uses the east river as part of it's moat (the lake forming another part) and backed by the mountains; there is some open land east of the castle that I'm not sure what to do with yet. Along both sides of the south river and going west will be farming area. Also in the west will be another military checkpoint/outpost. Most of this area will be a level above sea level, with the City, two military checkpoints, and the farming/fishing village as the only ways in (other than caves), due to the cliffs separating it from the bay. There will be a road leaving the City going east, ending at the eastern checkpoint, with largish estates lining both sides. There will be a road going from the east checkpoint, in front of the castle (and connecting to it), over the south river, and to the farming/fishing village. Another road will go from the farming/fishing village south, through the west checkpoint and to the coast, then heading east to current maps, and west to the City. I'm not sure about having a third road leaving the City going north. The city will be multilevel, being built into the cliffs.

I've attached the current work here (and spoilered it because of how large it is, even at 25% zoom).
Spoiler:
Current work.
Current work.
trade_city_area.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 4170 times
The grey area to the west is where the City will be. The north/south road up to the fence will be part of the expanded 055. 056 will be expanded north and east with some more content (including another warp from 055 at the cliffs west of the n/s road). The west checkpoint will be a little bit north of where 055 now ends, along that road.

Directly west of the city is a mostly open, coastal plain. This will be the largest map in the game so far (unless another gets released first). The waterfall cave to the west will link to another entrance on top of the cliffs. The cave to the east will have a lot of water in it, linking to that pool (I'm going to work on a tile to go there). The little island near the city only has dead trees on it and would be good for a small quest (maybe relating to dark magic). This map will have some stables near the City; once mobile NPCs are working, I'd like to have a few riding mouboos (or whatever we end up with here) wandering around.

East of the city will be a smaller beach area.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Re: Trade City (and surroundings)

Post by Nard »

When Auldsbel speaks about Sagatha, he says:
"That witch, hmm? She's a well-known trouble-maker, and quite a clever one at that; she once prevented us from cutting down a forest near Dorngaard that the villages wanted to use for farming, using some ingenious magic."

I thought Dorngaard could be Port-town.

I also tought that there could be some (domesticated?) Pinkies there. There was a pretty nice field with some in TAW around this place.

I also updated Tux's job with actual maps (see trello, Wiki board):
Bars represent 100pixels at minimap scale (1/32)
Note: Illia maps and easter maps are only here for reference. Illia island should be "elsewhere".
Spoiler:
Argaes_concept.jpg
Argaes_concept.jpg (102.08 KiB) Viewed 4129 times
Last edited by Jaxad0127 on 28 May 2013, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Put large attachment in spoiler.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Nard wrote:When Auldsbel speaks about Sagatha, he says:
"That witch, hmm? She's a well-known trouble-maker, and quite a clever one at that; she once prevented us from cutting down a forest near Dorngaard that the villages wanted to use for farming, using some ingenious magic."

I thought Dorngaard could be Port-town.
I think that would work well in the area labeled Zartram. It's supposed to be subtropical and heavily forested.

Nard wrote:I also tought that there could be some (domesticated?) Pinkies there. There was a pretty nice field with some in TAW around this place.
Doable. What would they be used for? Also, Fother's Thumb monster would also be nice.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

I suggested this name because Sagatha resides in a forest quite close to port town and we still have no name for it. Dorngaard suggest something located in the North. Also:
[Auldsbel the Wizard] wrote: "Well, there is no harm in giving you the general picture, I suppose.\"";
"He sighs, as if he had been forced to repeat something one time too many.";
-I am from the Council of Transmuters, the head organ of organized Transmutation magic in the known world.
-The council oversees recruitment, education, accreditation, and, if necessary, disciplining of Transmuters. It ensures that Transmuter conduct is according to its statutes and acts as representative and point of contact towards other entities.
-Of all the schools of magic, the School of Transmutation is the most organised by far, and held in high esteem by rulers all across the world. Of course this is not only due to the outstanding and rigid structure of the school, but also because of the exceptional services that its members provide.
-The Council, presently overseen by Lord Transmogrifier Pontorias the Plaid (May His Shape Reflect His Soul Forever), consists of fourty-nine members and is situated in the citadel of Dorngard, in the northern mountains near the Crimson Cascade. The Council is sovereign over three hundred acres of land and nearby farming communities and has been ever since Yorick the Younger shaped Dorngard out of a mountain by sheer power of will, to build a home for the school his father had founded. The Council has held peaceful relations with nearby realms for almost two centruries now and is widely regarded as a reliable partner in shaping civilization to allow it to evolve towards its next stage.
[...] I am just vacationing in the area. Very relaxed and peaceful place, the Hurnscald area. And plenty of splendid specimens for experimentation.

Pinkies live actually in the fields near Hurnscald. There are also farms near port town which are in need of mobs. they seem to like Argaes' climate. Since Nivalis was redesigned, the population of pinkies have dramatically decreased, and the it is now in danger of extinction. There is probably somewhere in TMW a NPC, member of the MWWF, who tries to save the species.

Edit: I hust noticed two different spellings; Dorngaard and Dorngard
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

That would make a nice name for the area's castle. I'm not sure what red cascade would refer too. Also, it could be placed in Kaizei.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Jaxad0127 wrote:That would make a nice name for the area's castle. I'm not sure what red cascade would refer too. Also, it could be placed in Kaizei.
Just north of this area is a river which seems to flow north ( :?: it has probably to be redesigned) with a lake and a cascade area. I suppose that the north rocky part are sea shore cliffs or we would need strange magic to explain how water can climb.

Edit: Red Can refer to the orientation of the Cascade and the way light is diffused in some occasions, or to the ruby powder that is carried by the waters when red slimes (a plague in this area, they spawn slowly but up to a very high number) are under massive cleaning operation.
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

Here's the house that's on 055-1
Spoiler:
Attachments
055-2.tmx
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Last edited by baseballboy on 03 Jun 2013, 03:47, edited 4 times in total.
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Probably there will not be room enough for two cities, if we do not want to Argaes to be oversized (It already is) regarding the rest of the world concept map . Thus I sugest to merge trade city and port town, where tux planned to put it or slightly to the west. The Dorngaard citadel could be located at actual "farming" village.
(see the map at http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 71#p135171 )
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Nard wrote:Probably there will not be room enough for two cities, if we do not want to Argaes to be oversized (It already is) regarding the rest of the world concept map . Thus I sugest to merge trade city and port town, where tux planned to put it or slightly to the west. The Dorngaard citadel could be located at actual "farming" village.
(see the map at http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 71#p135171 )
There won't be two cities. Just the large Trade City and many village around the continent, like Hurnscald. The farming/fishing village might just end up a collection of houses really.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

One thing I've been thinking about is instead of having a walled city area as Trade City proper would be having everything east of the south river be a more open city plan. This would give more room for opulence and ostentation. There would still be walls in the east checkpoint, the west checkpoint, the south crossing, and around the docks. But inside them will be a large, open city, with it's western reaches dominated by farming instead of city.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Mapping update. This concerns the expansion of maps 055 and 056. I'm still working on this area, but it's getting close to the overall idea for these two. I'll add some more flavor tiles later.
055_056.png
055_056.png (264.57 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
055 isn't as tall as before. The warp leading to the western checkpoint is in the bottom right here, east of the cliff with the two dead trees. The second warp to 056 is jsut west of there, where those trees and that small rock run between to cliffs. That area need more foliage. I want this path to be a bit hidden. It'll continue north to the eastern cave here. Then another hidden path will go east to the northern pond. This area will be more open. There is another path (more open) going south from where the new house is south to the large tree. I want this path to be visible and I might put dirt there. I new tile is needed to finish the roof of that place (the gray square).