Hardcore server

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Len
Knight
Knight

Hardcore server

Post by Len »

Is it possible to make a server in which death deletes the character?
Pixel Battalion
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Hardcore server

Post by Frost »

I saw "hardcore server" and assumed you meant something rather different.
*takes a deep breath*
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Frost wrote:I saw "hardcore server" and assumed you meant something rather different.
*takes a deep breath*
Hardcore pixel on pixel action (Custer's Revenge online)? :alt-7:
Pixel Battalion
GARRETTtheGREAT
Novice
Novice

Post by GARRETTtheGREAT »

I thought of an idea the other day how to implement this without making it a server-wide setting.

Have a quest that has the effect of permanently setting a player's respawn location to an unreachable map where no one can come or go by any way except death (think of it as the afterlife). Of course, a GM would still be able to manually warp a player to a different map (then we could autoban the dead character for escaping death :twisted: ), and "dead" characters could still interact with each other, message other players, etc., but for all intents and purposes, the characters would be dead.

To make the whole thing worthwhile, I think there should be a hefty bonus to the hardcore players (items that are not available and cannot be equipped by normal players that are much better than are available currently, extra exp per kill, extra unused stat points per level, etc).

The quest would have to be started before a certain level, ideally level 1. Part of being a hardcore player would be bragging rights about who is the highest level hardcore player and for a level 99 to start the hardcore quest would make it significantly less impressive.

I've even got the story to tie it into the game if there are enough interested devs, players, etc. and assuming that it is possible to accomplish.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

What Garrett suggested is rather easy to do. We just have to ammend some scripts:

We would have to ammend
- Sorfina
- the Soul Menhir

When talking to Sophia there is a new menu that asks if you want to be a hardcore character or not, this only works with level 1 chars. If you say yes sophia sets your respawn point to map where you cannot get away from, and also sets a new variable e.g. HC 1

Now we edit the soul mehirs. whenever someone with the flag HC 1 walks by they cannot reset the spawnpoint, so if the player dies he is then warped to the deserted map.

I wouldn't go so far as to give HC Players any bonuses. They should just be regular players. A leader board could be arranged.

what do you think?
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

tux9th wrote:What Garrett suggested is rather easy to do. We just have to ammend some scripts:

We would have to ammend
- Sorfina
- the Soul Menhir

When talking to Sophia there is a new menu that asks if you want to be a hardcore character or not, this only works with level 1 chars. If you say yes sophia sets your respawn point to map where you cannot get away from, and also sets a new variable e.g. HC 1

Now we edit the soul mehirs. whenever someone with the flag HC 1 walks by they cannot reset the spawnpoint, so if the player dies he is then warped to the deserted map.
I wouldn't go so far as to give HC Players any bonuses. They should just be regular players. A leader board could be arranged.

what do you think?
You would need to require people to be hardcore early on (you can't be hardcore if you lvled on normal past lvl 10), or someone could just lvl to 99 and become hardcore and act as if they have always been so. If you make it to lvl 99 you win a crown or something...
Last edited by Len on 31 May 2013, 12:34, edited 2 times in total.
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

tux9th wrote:I wouldn't go so far as to give HC Players any bonuses. They should just be regular players. A leader board could be arranged.

what do you think?
HC characters definitely need some kind of visible bragging rights award. Maybe some special kind of equipment which uses the normal sprites and has the normal attributes but an added visual cue, like a glowing aura around the character.

To avoid frustration and make sure that players know what they are in for, I would suggest to not allow hardcore mode on the 1st character of an account (so no newbie selects it by accident and then gets frustrated) and force the player to answer yes to the following questions before the character is set to hardcore mode:

I will not complain when I am killed in PvP
I will not complain when I die because of GM fiat
I will not complain when I die because of a bug
I will not complain when I die because of lag
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

Len why did you alter my quote and add some stuff? This is highly confusing.

as I said HC or not HC has to be decided on start. It is a question in the Sorfina dialogue. This dialogue is on char creation and is not optional so you have to say yes or no in the beginning.

I already started the scripting for this on https://github.com/tux9th/tmwa-server-data/commits/hc

Regarding special items and stuff. I am not sure if anyone will take the time to do that. I never quite got the hang of HC playing but some people do it. Usually HC players are split from non-HC but if we do that this would split the community and make it even less fun.

Maybe we could add a feature into the client that shows Hardcore Character in the hover below the name and Party.

greets

Edit:
for those who cannot read eA Code and want to try it ingame, add a server to the server list with the ip: server.sagdas.net port 6901. I'll have the latest commits of this branch up there running.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

tux9th wrote:Len why did you alter my quote and add some stuff? This is highly confusing.
Sorry I thought I was adding it to the end of mine.

Edit: It seems to work nicely, I also like the improvements to the maps and the tiles. I would suggest having the text in red ("yes" should be the 2nd option, not the first) or something as many players blindly click through the Beginning. If we do give them an item it should be impossible to drop, bank, or trade. Also, I wonder if we can do another separate one for pvp. So you can pvp anyone who also chooses open pvp outside of towns (god help you if go both HC and open pvp)
(so no newbie selects it by accident and then gets frustrated) and force the player to answer yes to the following questions before the character is set to hardcore mode:

I will not complain when I am killed in PvP
I will not complain when I die because of GM fiat
I will not complain when I die because of a bug
I will not complain when I die because of lag
+1
Pixel Battalion
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

I would also remove stuff like the death note in this house (which kills you instantly if you read it) (at least for hardcore mode). You should have control about wether you live or die. Reading a note in a room that you might not know which ends your hard work for your character is a bit silly to me.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Ablu wrote:I would also remove stuff like the death note in this house (which kills you instantly if you read it) (at least for hardcore mode). You should have control about wether you live or die. Reading a note in a room that you might not know which ends your hard work for your character is a bit silly to me.

or an extra warning if a HC player attempts to read one of the notes. This note might kill you or send you somewhere dangerous, do you still want to read it? No or Yes
Pixel Battalion
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

https://github.com/tux9th/tmwa-server-d ... 8f47bdf2ad

How about that?
Not sure if this Works properly hadn't had a chance to test it yet. It is however on the server if you want to test it for me.

Regards
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Because tux9th already started writing scripts, I moved this from Off Topic to Content Development.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

On the 3rd character I made, I was never asked if I wanted to be HC (I'm not sure if it's something to do with Evol). I had to make a new account, and when i got to the note it brought me down to 1 hp. Clicking on it again directly after killed me, not sure if that was on purpose (do you get only one free pass on it?)
Pixel Battalion
Sanity
Peon
Peon

Post by Sanity »

Permadeath + fulldrop! Bring it 8)