Hardcore server

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Hardcore server

Post by Crush »

What about the monster oil quest? Isn't that one also able to randomly kill the character?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

It appears that if you have any damage before reading the note it kills you outright (the note cannot kill so long as the player has full hp), in good news I haven't been able to recreate the error of not being asked about HC.
Crush wrote:What about the monster oil quest? Isn't that one also able to randomly kill the character?
If it warns players to the risk, I say let them take their chances (it's called hardcore for a reason).
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Len wrote:It appears that if you have any damage before reading the note it kills you outright (the note cannot kill so long as the player has full hp)
tux9th implemented this with the command

Code: Select all

percentheal "-99"; 
It seems like this command removes 99% of maximum hp, not of current hp. When there is no command to set the HP to a specific value (1 HP), a workaround would be to first fully heal the character and then remove 99%.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Its interesting having to walk all the way back from where ever you lvl and not being able to bypass the tolls.
Pixel Battalion
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Combining this with the death penalty idea, we can send dead HC players there and not give them a away out. Only non-HC chars can leave the dead place.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Jaxad0127 wrote:Combining this with the death penalty idea, we can send dead HC players there and not give them a away out. Only non-HC chars can leave the dead place.
Actually HC might satisfy the player base who wanted a death penalty, while letting the casual gamers keep the old system they enjoy. Then again if we are going to go through the trouble of making an otherworldly place why not do as you suggest? (just throwing stuff out there)
Pixel Battalion
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Ablu wrote:I would also remove stuff like the death note in this house (which kills you instantly if you read it) (at least for hardcore mode). You should have control about wether you live or die. Reading a note in a room that you might not know which ends your hard work for your character is a bit silly to me.
There are also Sagatha and fluffy hat, Mirak, Halloween seasonal pumkin traps.
edit:
Crush wrote:What about the monster oil quest? Isn't that one also able to randomly kill the character?
not to speak of Grimace of Dementia :)
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
natsuki3
Novice
Novice

Post by natsuki3 »

Nard wrote:
Ablu wrote:I would also remove stuff like the death note in this house (which kills you instantly if you read it) (at least for hardcore mode). You should have control about wether you live or die. Reading a note in a room that you might not know which ends your hard work for your character is a bit silly to me.
There are also Sagatha and fluffy hat, Mirak, Halloween seasonal pumkin traps.
edit:
not to speak of Grimace of Dementia :)
Set a variable, and make it check if the player is on hardcore mode everytime he tries one of those quests.
Its blue like the sea.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

What about irreplaceable rare items? If a hardcore player dies with one.. it's gone forever.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

MadCamel wrote:What about irreplaceable rare items? If a hardcore player dies with one.. it's gone forever.
Such is the path of the hardcore... Things like that actually appeal to that type of gamer (until they die that is it :lol: ). I'd image they would only use the items that are good for combat and keep the fancy stuff on an alt.
Pixel Battalion
GARRETTtheGREAT
Novice
Novice

Post by GARRETTtheGREAT »

I had something else in mind for starting the hardcore "quest" to try and tie it in to the lore of the Mana World.

My idea was that the Soul Menhirs work by saving some of the person's mana so that they could be re-created after death. The player would talk to an NPC who has found a way to free all of the character's mana from the soul menhirs, making them stronger, but thereby losing the ability to be brought back from death. That is also why I was pushing for some sort of increase in the character's stats or such, so that it would tie into the story as well.

I thought leaderboards were being discouraged as they required excessive disk I/O.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

GARRETTtheGREAT wrote:I had something else in mind for starting the hardcore "quest" to try and tie it in to the lore of the Mana World.

My idea was that the Soul Menhirs work by saving some of the person's mana so that they could be re-created after death. The player would talk to an NPC who has found a way to free all of the character's mana from the soul menhirs, making them stronger, but thereby losing the ability to be brought back from death. That is also why I was pushing for some sort of increase in the character's stats or such, so that it would tie into the story as well.
Marking a character HC should occur before level 10 or so (level 1 is popular in this thread). Turning a level 99 into a HC char is useless. They already have everything.

As for story, we can say that HC characters are 'cursed' and so the soul menhirs refuse to accept them.
GARRETTtheGREAT
Novice
Novice

GARRETTtheGREAT wrote:I had something else in mind for starting the hardcore "quest" to try and tie it in to the lore of the Mana World.

I thought leaderboards were being discouraged as they required excessive disk I/O.
my idea would also explain why hardcore characters are able to survive failing the monster oil quest while normal players would die.

edit: stupid phone typing
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

I understand the need to help the player overcome a few pitfalls, but Lets not put the player into a plastic bubble and call it hardcore. Look up egorapter's Awesome Gaiden cartoon to gain a better understanding of the meaning of hardcore. :lol:
Pixel Battalion
GARRETTtheGREAT
Novice
Novice

Len wrote:I understand the need to help the player overcome a few pitfalls, but Lets not put the player into a plastic bubble and call it hardcore. Look up egorapter's Awesome Gaiden cartoon to gain a better understanding of the meaning of hardcore. :lol:
I agree, but some aspects of the game are designed with unlimited player deaths in mind. monster oil, grimoire, resist poison, and dementia potion all have a good chance of instant death regardless of player skill or level. the game should still be playable for hardcore, but just much harder. besides, if these quests are too risky, no one will do them in hardcore mode. Valia is probably already one quest no one would attempt.