Hardcore server

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Hardcore server

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We could have the potions and such drop players to 1 HP instead of kill them if they're HC. That will at least mean they'll only be used in safe areas.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

GARRETTtheGREAT wrote:some aspects of the game are designed with unlimited player deaths in mind. monster oil, grimoire, resist poison, and dementia potion all have a good chance of instant death regardless of player skill or level. the game should still be playable for hardcore, but just much harder.
That's an important point. Game balance currently assumes there is little penalty to dying.

Hard Core characters probably shouldn't go afk in town, either. :twisted:
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
GARRETTtheGREAT
Novice
Novice

Post by GARRETTtheGREAT »

Any ideas on what the "afterlife" would look like?

Ideally, there will be pretty minimal (zero) new tiles, since there will never be many players here. I was thinking maybe an endless sandstorm desert (when you reach one extreme end of the map, you're warped to the other side) for sort of a purgatory/neutral themed afterlife. The concept of good and evil isn't really used in the game, so I don't think there should be a separate "heaven" and "hell" for characters, but maybe down the road if there are more choices it could be interesting. I think PVP should always be on to allow "dead" players at least something to do. Spawns would be forbidden to prevent dead players from gaining more exp.

I think it would also be interesting if there could be an adjacent map where living players could see the dead, but not interact with (ie casting spells from living to dead characters). Perhaps a map "below" the graveyard?
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Grayscale woodland village, with no npcs and no music, attempting to leave the town just ends with you entering the opposite end of the town. Eventually we can make a proper tileset for it, but this would be a simple way to get the idea across for now. I remember Fother experimenting with replacing the player sprites with skeletons (might be useful here)
Pixel Battalion
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Jaxad0127 wrote:We could have the potions and such drop players to 1 HP instead of kill them if they're HC. That will at least mean they'll only be used in safe areas.
Some of the deaths like in Blue sage or Sagatha are conceived as a kind of random penalty, there is a long way back. if it is only a HP reduction the effect is broken. If there is a flag to say player is hard core, these quests have to be modified to take it into account and replace death with 50% HP reduction and a warp to the nearest soul menhir for example
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Nard wrote:]
Some of the deaths like in Blue sage or Sagatha are conceived as a kind of random penalty, there is a long way back. if it is only a HP reduction the effect is broken. If there is a flag to say player is hard core, these quests have to be modified to take it into account and replace death with 50% HP reduction and a warp to the nearest soul menhir for example
That's actually a nice solution, simulate normal player death without the hardcore character actually dying in auto death situations.
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

GARRETTtheGREAT wrote:Any ideas on what the "afterlife" would look like?

Ideally, there will be pretty minimal (zero) new tiles, since there will never be many players here.
Currently the bot checking map is used as a stand-in. Maybe use that map, but replace "BOT CHECK AREA" with "GAME OVER"?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
GARRETTtheGREAT
Novice
Novice

Post by GARRETTtheGREAT »

Crush wrote:
GARRETTtheGREAT wrote:Any ideas on what the "afterlife" would look like?

Ideally, there will be pretty minimal (zero) new tiles, since there will never be many players here.
Currently the bot checking map is used as a stand-in. Maybe use that map, but replace "BOT CHECK AREA" with "GAME OVER"?
Not a bad idea.

I think there should be some, however small, amount of new content after death as a reward to the players that even attempt hardcore mode. Whether it's a new area made of existing tiles, an NPC to talk to, etc. it would be a nice touch for the players that die at level 2 from lag or a PK while AFK in town. I still think there should be PvP in the afterlife. Since the respawn point is on the same map and there will (after a while) be a ton of dead characters in the afterlife, it would be like a Hurnscald PvP event 24/7.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

If there is life after life, the place for it should be the graveyard, the crypt or their image in a parallel (or perpendicular) world; Unless you want the newly unded players fight as skels, ladyskels, zombies, fallens or even spectres, poltergeists or wisps, depending on the level they reached, with actual mobs until a kind non-HC character delivers them from their last link from the "real" mana world.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Any particular reason hardcore mode wasn't developed further?
Pixel Battalion
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Len wrote:Any particular reason hardcore mode wasn't developed further?
Just the usual.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

I can alter what I have a little bit and bring it onto the testing server. I still got the code and adding a game over map isn't hard.

Though I got more promising projects to take care of first ...