Socks/Proxy

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

ravenshade
Peon
Peon

Socks/Proxy

Post by ravenshade »

Just a quick question, but can I get aTMW to work through SOCKS? I'm just after a yay or nay answer so that I don't spend hours trying to a fit a square peg into a round hole.

More to the point... how does one edit the client settings?
Knight
Knight

Re: Socks/Proxy

Post by 4144 »

ravenshade wrote:Just a quick question, but can I get aTMW to work through SOCKS? I'm just after a yay or nay answer so that I don't spend hours trying to a fit a square peg into a round hole.

More to the point... how does one edit the client settings?
For downloading news, updates, online list you can. Select proxy system wide (in linux) or in settings.

For game itself no.
Need port forwarding from some ip. Forward 3 ports where client connecting. Before connecting select "use same ip for game sub servers" and in server list add your forwarding ip as server ip.
ravenshade
Peon
Peon

Post by ravenshade »

I can port forwards all day (forgive me, but I don't entirely understand the portwarding process), at the moment I have a remote server (LAN) whereby I access it using 192.168.x.x, with (I believe) the three ports forwarded on my router.

But I'm not certain how the client connects and where those settings are stored. It tells me...there's a .mana file somewhere ...not exactly certain where that is.

As it is at the moment, I have a way of connecting to my system through a SOCKS proxy and effectively use the services on my server without revealing my location. This means I can manage a web service from the USA in Japan through a proxy service. My displayed IP address there (in japan) would be 192.168.1.64 (as it currently stands).

What I want to do is enable it so I can do the same thing with the client. So if someone with technical expertise could step in and explain I would be appreciative.

Hi... why do I get the feeling that Mana's connection information is compiled?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

ravenshade wrote:Hi... why do I get the feeling that Mana's connection information is compiled?
It isn't. The clietn connects to the login-server, which, after login, gives the client the address of the char-server. The char-server then, after selecting a character, tells the client the address of the map-server. Using an SSH tunnel, you could tunnel the three ports, having them all connect to the target machine on the remote network, and tell the client to ignore the IPs given by the servers and always use the one you connected to, like 4144 said.
ravenshade
Peon
Peon

Post by ravenshade »

Simpler to understand. (But I still haven't got a braincell to process such information). Hm, my problem is that isn't understanding the protocol I'm giving it. However the SSH Tunnel clue does lead me to another potential lead (so thanks for that).

How would I tell the client to ignore the IP's (doesn't see anything in the options that enable me to do such a thing).
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

ravenshade wrote:How would I tell the client to ignore the IP's (doesn't see anything in the options that enable me to do such a thing).
4144 wrote:Before connecting select "use same ip for game sub servers" and in server list add your forwarding ip as server ip.
Use that with a customer server setup within the client.
ravenshade
Peon
Peon

Post by ravenshade »

Okay... this clearly isn't working for me >.<; So I'll leave the socks thing aside for a while until I'm more familiar with the networking behind it.