Converting all Maps to CSV

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Converting all Maps to CSV

Post by tux9th »

Hiya,
as the title suggest I propose a map compression conversion from gzip to CSV. This will make map diffs more useful.
The downside of this change is that all clients before Mana 0.5.0 or Manaplus 1.1.2.20 will no longer be able to display maps. Ergo drop support for these clients will be dropped. On the upside this also means that the original manabot which is based on 0.0.29.1 will no longer be usable.

I recommend to anyone using 0.5.0 mana on Macs, please upgrade to the latest version of Manaplus Mac. Anyone else using mana 0.5.0 and before should update to the latest Mana client or more preferably to the latest Manaplus verison.

This will also open the possibility for a lot of merge conflicts for those who are currently working on existing maps. To assess the situation I propose anyone who is currently changing a map may put down here what s/he is editing and how close to the end of the development s/he is.

If the situation is rather stable and there are no large upcomming map changes we can safely convert the maps without risking too man merge conflicts:

Projects I am aware of: If nothing else turns up I propose converting once they complete most of there work thus reducing or eliminating the potential of a merge conflict.

with best regards
tux9th
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Converting all Maps to CSV

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I'm completely replacing maps 055 and 056 with a larger combined map (the new 055, see the Trade City thread for an older WIP). I know how to deal with any conflicts.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

I believe o11c or someone tried this before but it was switched back because of lack of mobile client support. People complained that they could not see the maps on their mobile and then they could not play the game since some players are dependent on it might want to reconsider. Just thought I would throw that reminder out there.

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

Last time we converted back because there was no official Mac version that supported CSV.
Now there is Manaplus for mobiles as well as for the Mac.

I think we're in the clear :).
Speiros02
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros02 »

tux9th wrote:Hiya,
as the title suggest I propose a map compression conversion from gzip to CSV. This will make map diffs more useful.
The downside of this change is that all clients before Mana 0.5.0 or Manaplus 1.1.2.20 will no longer be able to display maps.
How will this affect linux-based computers?

A name is to be chosen rather than abundant riches...Solomon's words (Pr.22:1)

[url=http://speirosmusic.tumblr.com]Speiros' music page[/url]

A.K.A "Speiros"...(not being smart...this name is speiros)

tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

There have always been regular updates for linux based computers and therefore if you're not using any client before mana 0.5.0 or Manaplus 1.1.2.20 you're not even going to notice that the compression has been changed.

Manaplus 1.1.2.20 was release on 20th of Feb 2011 (so it's 2 years old now) and I have no idea when Mana 0.5.0 was released but I think it's rather old too.

greets