[DIS] Trello Label Change Proposal

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[DIS] Trello Label Change Proposal

Post by Wombat »

On the trello Art Development forum: https://trello.com/board/art-developmen ... 63f800497e

We have a good number of projects, some that can't get a label due to a limited number to offer. I propose we switch to using labels for continents instead of projects. Current continents (or similar body):

Tonori
Kaizei
Argaes
Ancean Isles

This leaves two more labels for continents yet to be expanded on in the future. This will also help keep from retroactively removing labels once a project is completely finished, as I may be doing soon with the crypt.
Current character is "Abolish".
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: [DIS] Trello Label Change Proposal

Post by o11c »

Hm, I always thought the plan was to reuse the colors when it's done.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

That was the original plan, but labels must be removed individually from each card, including in the archive. We also have multiple projects which can't gain a label because we only get 6
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

What about separate boards for each continent, with another for things that aren't continent specific?
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

I suppose that could work. 6 projects per continent should be managable. Rename the current "General Art Development". I don't mind the busy work moving art, though changing labels will still be a chore when it comes time to do so.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

When the size justifies it to insure consistency: one project =one board (concept/ideas, to do, doing, done ...maybe testing, released....). Labels should stay priorities or special status just as wiki banners. tasks often need such status information along their life in a project, with a common meaning over the global project
A card = a task (simple or composite with detailed checklist, a checklist item can become a task, thus a card)
Wushin and Jaxad-tux9th works show that a town or sub area can become a board itself. because they include many aspects: story, geographical consistency, maps, tilesets quests development, mob develoment, and item development.
All the job that was initially done on forums and wiki should be done on Trello, and written to wiki when it is about to be archived or put in standby, and categorized to avoid loosing nice past ideas (concepts or graphics) or consistency.
Continents are just an aspect of the project. Magic is an example of topic that could require a board too . That was also why I asked for a wiki board. When a quest (e.g Lora Tay), is spread over several boards, then it must have a card in each board a with cross references. There is no need to create a board if there is no project and noone to work on it.
Now Trello is useful only if developers freely constrain themselves to keep it up to date and really have cooperation in mind. If not; it is just annoying because it only makes information more scattered.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

We could also go color blind and/or use labels for something other than categorizing projects/continents/whatever. Each project can get a three letter tag and make a card in guidelines that tracks each project tag. This would prevent having to return and switch labels and whatnot. Each card associated with a project would need to be tagged so they could be tracked. Those without a tag would also be those without a specific project in mind.

I do like Nard's idea, but as he seemed to be saying, there is much busy work and if people don't want to keep up on it, it makes a great amount of confusion and perhaps makes trello less useful or just out and out useless. I think less trello boards would cut down on confusion, though now that the art dev trello is rather full, hunting through it is a chore.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Wombat wrote:[...]now that the art dev trello is rather full, hunting through it is a chore.
Then it is a great help or artists who really want the project to advance: What is in trello is supposed to be the priorities :wink:
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.