Cheaper arrows

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Cheaper arrows

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I'm looking into way to make arrows cheaper to buy. Options include:
  1. Buying them from a non shop interface where we can sell arbitrary groups for arbitrary prices,
  2. Selling "Bundle of Arrows" that can be 'used' to create a bunch of actual arrows, which allows us to use keep using normal shops to sell them (I think these could randomly give you slightly more or less arrows)
  3. Altering shop mechanics to allow selling groups of items instead of individual items (IE make arrows only available in multiples of 5 and charge less than 5GP for each group).
  4. Give monsters hit by arrows a chance to add the arrow to their drop list (so you'll be able to recover a portion of your arrows)
We don't have to restrict this to one idea. Combinations are completely possible.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?
Rill
Novice
Novice

Re: Cheaper arrows

Post by Rill »

Jaxad0127 wrote:Thoughts? Other suggestions?
Thank you for your interest in this subject. From an archer’s perspective, Option 3 seems the simplest; although I personally would prefer multiples of at least 100, since I usually try to purchase 15,000 arrows at a time.
Last edited by Rill on 27 Jun 2013, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

To pay for arrows ain't such a pain at higher level, it is mostly in the beginning that it is kind of a burden.

I really like option four though, it makes sense that some of the arrows that has been used can be recycled. However at the main leveling areas such as the GY the drops fall to high level characters and would not help the lower level archers that i think are the ones that are the concern for this suggestions in the first place.

My suggestion is to offer some kind of affiliation with a archer circle or something for a fee that sell archers for cut price offers, at low level they can buy bundles cheaper and with growing levels they come closer to the prices on the outside market, say 500 gp + 5 logs for 1000 arrows.

Sure, high level archers can make mules, but do they want to spend time hunting for logs?
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

Another option: Make it easier for mages to craft arrows. Up the log->arrow conversion rate so it makes sense for mages to make arrows. Archers can buy from mages (or use a mage alt) to make cheap arrows from raw logs. Iron arrows could require iron ore along with logs.

I think it'd make things more interesting!
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Villain
Novice
Novice

Post by Villain »

The game is already too archer friendly. 1 raw log = 25 arrows. The raw log drop rate is 20%. 1gp arrows, 2 pink petals per conc pot, and armor/weapons that heavily favor the archer class. I can't recall the last time I saw a player level 1-70 that wasn't an archer.
RIP Frost, Big Crunch, Mistakes, mrgrey, and MrWho
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

This is an interesting proposal. What is the goal?
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
GARRETTtheGREAT
Novice
Novice

Post by GARRETTtheGREAT »

I think option 1 would be a good compromise. There won't have to be a bunch of new items added for item bundles (idea 2) and there won't be any issues with adding new client and server support (ideas 3 and 4).

I have seen items/skills/etc in other games that give a percent chance to recover arrows from a felled enemy, but that seems the most difficult to implement. Multiple archers killing the same enemy, multiple different arrow types, etc. could make it difficult to implement this as a simple drop.

Is there a way that a skill could be created that will give a percent chance to randomly add an arrow of the equipped type to the player's inventory?

However, Villain has a pretty good point about the balance of the game. I'm kinda going off topic, but if we have an arrow recovery skill for archers, maybe we could we have an HP and MP recovery skill for warriors and mages, respectively, to balance out this new skill?
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

I think the arrows right now are fine to be honest, the only thing i would change is moving the npc that sells them for 1gp each to tulimshar, they *should* be 2gp in hurnscald because its a place for higher leveled players.

I think raising the amount of gp they cost per town going up in level would be a good idea. If people want to buy it for less they can use the ferry to go back.

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Since Green Slimes got made aggressive, it's hard for a low level player to get to the cheap seller.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

thats why I suggested moving it to tulimshar

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Cheap Seller has been maintained due to distance and difficulty. Before the green slimes, the black scorpions and snakes still appeared making it difficult, though yes, the green slimes have increased this difficulty. The cheap dealer was more an open secret, something an experienced character could help a new character get to. Personally, I like MadCamel's idea with Jax's idea, where mages could be turned to for cheap arrows. However, if there is a feeling that the power dynamic of the game would benefit from more merchants or merchants closer to new characters offering cheap arrows, that is fine.

A benefit for cheap arrows located around one of the Tulimshar markets is more experienced characters able to see and interact with newer characters. Gone are the days of new characters pestering experienced characters with "Itens plz".

If we go the route of crafting for most useful consumables, it would also offer guilds an advantage to pull in new characters for a real benefit, the guild mages' crafting abilities.
Current character is "Abolish".