Crypt Redux

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Crypt Redux

Post by Wombat »

Crypt Art Dump

Right now I'm working on ensuring some of these old projects get what is needed so they can be released. However, the crypt, more than any other project, has had lots of problems. The changing of project leaders, project artists coming and going, with most now gone and the vision of the original quest has been hacked apart and spread into other quests that are now in game.

So now it is time to rebirth the Crypt. Instead of some quest opening the Crypt up, it will become available for characters level 90 and up to be able to enter the Crypt. However there is a catch. The save point will change to the beginning of the Crypt, so if you die, you return to the beginning of the interior Crypt. There is no exit at the beginning of the Crypt, so the characters are trapped in the Crypt. Instead, the characters must travel through the many levels, slaying foes and evading traps until they get to the Reaper. They then must fight the Reaper and the character that deals the last blow to the Reaper is force teleported out of the Crypt to the exterior of the Crypt with the save point removed or changed to another Soul Menhir.

The Reaper, like all the other monsters in the Crypt, will respawn, so the potential to escape will return many times. Instead of quest items, monsters will have rare drops, making this a repeatable area for high level characters who want the precious items offered in the Crypt, not to mention keeping high level characters locked in an area where the danger is as high as the xp given, increasing the fun value for high level characters.

This is just a concept and other ideas are welcome.
Current character is "Abolish".
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Crypt Redux

Post by o11c »

Assuming that no individual player can kill a reaper alone, this will mean that there will be some players trapped in there at all times. I like this.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

This sounds like a good idea, however i think there should be some other way of getting out of there than dealing the last blow on the reaper. Tanks/tanked mages could be trapped in there for ages. And a tanked mage without any powders are quite useless. Make it possible (but darn expensive) to get out of there. Like a special spell that consumes 20 gems or something like that.
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

How about requiring X rare drops (that are only dropped in the crypt, of course) as another method of escape?
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Hm ... if you get warped out when you kill, you won't get any of the drops from the Reaper itself ...
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

o11c wrote:Hm ... if you get warped out when you kill, you won't get any of the drops from the Reaper itself ...
Give the reaper a guaranteed drop of the crypt key, which a few other monsters can rarely drop?
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

I can't really say I really enjoy the Idea of one of my characters being stuck in the crypt until my character specifically kills the reaper with the final blow. Here is what I see wrong with this concept so far though.

Items - There are classes that require items in able to keep going...Will there be a merchant selling potions/arrows/health items? Even then a player could be stuck there for days without hitting the final blow to the reaper making the character run out of money for these items leaving them with nothing.

Stat points- There are people who enjoy playing with stat points and trying new tactical things for certain monsters, making characters stuck in the crypt will make this very limited and considering not many players have *fought* the reaper before they might not know how to set up their stat points before fighting the beast. By the time they do fight it they are stuck an its too late to change it.

Alt Encouragement - I'm pretty sure this would encourage people to use alt characters considering I'm sure nobody would want to be stuck in that crypt with their main character for days/weeks...months (possibly). People enjoy leveling with their friends as well as socializing in town with their main characters, them being stuck in a crypt will prevent them from doing so. I just don't think a part of a game would *have* to make you wanna use alts to be enjoyable.

Suggestions:

Soul Menhirs - I suggest maybe making an evil soul menhir with a red particle effect instead of blue, this soul menhir would *give you the choice* of being spawned back in Hurnscald or back in the Crypt (to the beginning as you suggested) after you die. If you were to choose Hurnscald there would be a random price perhaps the soul menhir taking a certain % of the GP your character carries.

Merchants - Add a creepy sales NPC and shove his ass in the beginning of the Crypt. He would sell items needed for classes such as potions, arrows, health items (such as chicken legs and water) etc.

Can't wait to start helping out with mapping the crypt again, I should be moved soon completely into my new place perhaps by next week I will get going again.

regards,
Chicka
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
straelyn
Novice
Novice

Post by straelyn »

Personally I think 80 would be a better starting point, to give people some alternative to the graveyard. The 80s are way too grindy, and archers particularly have been levelling there since their 50s.
end of line.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

My IRC response to Chicka:

(05:17:48 AM) wombatism1: Many of your thoughts and suggestions for the crypt concept are good and ones I had been considering all day. I'm glad you brought them up because I have come to similar conclusions
(05:18:54 AM) wombatism1: Ones I hadn't considered were alt encouragement and your soul menhirs concept
(05:20:47 AM) wombatism1: The first room of the crypt will be monster free, with merchants, bankers, stat resetter and other such stuff. The room itself might have one before where a person can safely read warnings so they know they will be trapped rather than just blunder in
(05:21:32 AM) wombatism1: It is also a room where the 90+ people can safely socialize with others and organize their group assaults on the crypt
(05:23:14 AM) wombatism1: Jaxad0127's idea on getting a rare to escape vs. the evil soul menhir idea...there might be something to ideas like this
(05:23:50 AM) wombatism1: I do like the idea that you can pay off the forces that trap you to release you rather than kill the reaper
(05:27:04 AM) wombatism1: There might also be something to pay for a global announcement, perhaps 10% the cost of escaping...to request others join them in the crypt.
(05:28:17 AM) wombatism1: so maybe it will cost...say 100,000 to escape...so it would cost 10,000 to send a global announcement from inside the crypt
(05:28:55 AM) wombatism1: or another alternative would be the bloodstones...maybe 10 bloodstones to escape and 1 bloodstone to make an announcement
(05:29:26 AM) wombatism1: these are just rough ideas still...figured I'd share and see what thoughts were

To straelyn: This was originally the first 90+ specific area and was meant to be released during the same period as the graveyard inn, but too much prevented it from being released. I'm more tempted to make it 95+ than 80+ to be honest, but I don't want to discount the possibility.
Current character is "Abolish".
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Screw Money, make them pay something someone always has, XP or Levels. Often in games the Undead drain this. I've been thinking for later content death penalties should exist for any 80+ quest thats also on instance. Or chew up there time by sending them to o11c's death puzzle map. One other viable means of escape is to trade a soul for theirs, a.k.a. get X PvP kills. :P
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

It would be awesomely cool if you when you die and get spawned at the soul mehir could choose to become a evil mob,playing yourself as an undead ( only being able to attack other players and have the usual sprite replaced by the skeleton sprite). So you will basically pvp and after three or five kills you will be able to spawn as usual at one of the regular soul mehirs. I do not know if that is possible with the server code etc, but it would be darn cool.
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

veryape wrote:I do not know if that is possible with the server code etc,
Not really.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Here's another idea: a safe area near the Hurnscald Soul Menhir (that goes, say, from the inn to the bows shop) where the player can teleport to, maybe using an uncommon (but not rare) item dropped by mobs in the Crypt, that way people can still go to Hurnscald and talk with their friends or buy supplies, but after a few minutes or when they exit the safe area they are teleported back to the Crypt. The only way to exit permanently is killing the Reaper.
There's still the problem of getting casters and specifically healers out of the Crypt though.

TMW Team member

wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

So you mentioned traps?

Also an exploding one could just reuse the explosion special effect already in mainline.

// traps

002-1.gat,40,86,0|script|#trap1|400,0,0,{
misceffect 402, strcharinfo(0); // spikes
misceffect 26, strcharinfo(0); // hit
percentheal -10, 0; // effect
end;
}
Attachments
effects.xml
(7.9 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
trap.particle.xml
(998 Bytes) Downloaded 77 times
trap-floor-spikes.png
trap-floor-spikes.png (2.12 KiB) Viewed 5495 times
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
sacriopsmen
Novice
Novice

Post by sacriopsmen »

In my opinion, the crypt could be a gold mine for the sellers : In the first place, the safe one, you can put your shop with all the useful things the players will need for a rather high price and sell them... Well you will also have to escape, but what I mean is : this is one of the things I was looking for : a good place to sell things I bought for more than I bought them.

So I think there shouldn't be an access to the storage, if possible only to the bank accounts. The idea is of course that they could by those things to NPC anyway, but that the NPCs would sell them for an even more abusive price. So it would be all good for the players to players economy... Yes I am very concerned about economy.
Ingame : "Lord Vlad" my archer-healer or "nanogreedy" my vunerable and pretty useless tank.
I also have an archer used as a shop : Vladshop. But it's not my favourite.