The Miner at the mines north of Hurnscald

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: The Miner at the mines north of Hurnscald

Post by tux9th »

tmwa-server-data$ git am miners_quest.txt
Patch format detection failed.

by looking at the patch it seems that it isn't a git patch.

don't think I'm doing this just to piss you off. By taking the highroad this time it will be a lot easier for me in the future. Because all the things you have to learn on the way here will make it a lot easier for all the devs in the future to review and add your work.

If you have any question on how to do this send me a PM, meet me in TS or on IRC.

with best regards
tux9th
cinderweb
Peon
Peon

Post by cinderweb »

which one there should be two of them one is a real patch the other was me experimenting trying to get it upm there
Note: this forum user was previously known as as jayd6974.
straelyn
Novice
Novice

Post by straelyn »

ok sorry, I'm not used to doing this the git way. V0id explained it to me. The git patch is attached to this post.
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

end of line.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

The result? Another pointless quest :(

Post by Hello=) »

As usually in TMW. Good idea but bad implementation lands on players heads. That's what happens when devs do not play their game while making gameplay decisions. So right now result looks like this: "another complerely pointless quest". Sorry to inform you about that.

Explanation: efforts vs results ratio really sucks for this quest at the moment. Do you seriously think that spending many time to get 10 keys (drop rate is quite low) from spiders (they bite and usually appear in swarms) to get just dumb 3000 GP sounds like "good idea"? Players I know just dont use this quest at all. It's far easier to get, say, 4 black stingers for 2500GPs. Or just grind some slimes and get 3k fast, without any daily limits, and in much smaller timeframe. Slimes drop a lot of stuff worth of 500 to 1000GP with a good probability and far easier/faster to kill than spiders. Then you offer some 300GP per key when getting them obviously harder. From player's standpoint it really suxx. And it's for lvl 40-45? Oh, are you guys serious about it? Come on, grab level 40 character and go grind 10 keys to get idea how it feels. Dont forget to measure time it takes. Then tell me how do you like the reward. IMO, killing slimes sounds like far more promising and rewarding idea for lvl 40 char.

...not to mention keys have some sinks which make them quite valuable items. Players use them to launch Cindy and do sword chest runs, etc on regular basis. To my taste its really pointless to waste keys in daily like this at this reward rate. Efforts to get keys not comparable with 300GP/key reward.
cinderweb
Peon
Peon

Post by cinderweb »

I agree complain to Tux9th he's the one that made me change it from 5 keys to ten. and from 5000gp and 5000exp to what it is now. Sorry it had to be that way but Tux9th holds the keys as far as what can go up and what can't.
Note: this forum user was previously known as as jayd6974.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

cinderweb wrote:I agree complain to Tux9th he's the one that made me change it from 5 keys to ten. and from 5000gp and 5000exp to what it is now. Sorry it had to be that way but Tux9th holds the keys as far as what can go up and what can't.
Assuming that getting keys not much easier/faster than, say, black stingers (from my experience) and definitely worse than hunting red slimes, I can propose to make it like this: about 500-700 GPs per item (i.e. something close to black stingers) and GPs per daily point should be close to stingers/bats/gifts as well. Something like 5 keys, 2800-3000GP, 16-18 daily points, plus or minus something (maybe scaled x2. etc but getting 10 keys could be a really exhausting task).

And on personal note, IMO, Tux9th should play game a bit more to get better undertanding of difficulties, etc. Else it looks like if he just rolled the dice :alt-5:.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

I honestly don't have enough time to play at the moment. Due to real life and responsibilities I have as a Lead Developer / Support Admin.

Your suggested values can be discussed in this topic and will be applied if people agree with them.

Thanks for your report.
Fortunato
Novice
Novice

Post by Fortunato »

t3st3r wrote:5 keys, 2800-3000GP, 16-18 daily points, plus or minus something
tux9th wrote:Your suggested values can be discussed in this topic and will be applied if people agree with them.
I agree. 3'000 GP @ 18 daily points -> 166.66 gp/dp, 2'800 @18 daily points -> 155.55 gp/dp ratio. Both seem reasonable to me. The ratios are a little higher than say Arkim's Bat Wings (150), but then again there's a huge difference between spiders and bats, especially when this daily quest is supposed to be aiming at mid-level chars.
Quinny
Peon
Peon

Post by Quinny »

Ok I tested this quest out on the test server.
I started at Lvl 40. I had Cat ears,Forest armor, Jean shorts, boots, Miner gloves , Forest bow, 1000 arrows, and 20 Roasted maggots.
My stats where Dex. 60, Agi.20, Vit 20, Luck 10.
It took me 50 mins to get 5 keys, I lvled once and used 8 Roasted maggots, died 3 times, and used 953 arrows.
Now this is is a huge load for a person just tring to do a daily. For one the amount I spent on arrows alone would not becovered by my reward (yes I know not all players are archers). Also this was just to get half of what is needed for the quest as it is now. Not counting the fact that you do, as stated before need the keys for other things including the short sword quest and the demon mask that are about the same lvl range. IMO this should be redone and the numbers reworked. Not everyone has alts that can go and get the keys and at this lvl they really dont have the GP's to buy them either. This should have been noticed sooner.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

tux9th wrote:I honestly don't have enough time to play at the moment. Due to real life and responsibilities I have as a Lead Developer / Support Admin.
That's okay on it's own. Though IMO it could be nice for Lead Developer to have some idea about gameplay/difficulties/etc. Yet I guess players can help you here if that's an issue.
Your suggested values can be discussed in this topic and will be applied if people agree with them
In fact I asked some players around what they think about quest and did some computations. At least some credits for getting it under my attention should go to bell chick for computing some key parameters and detecting the fact key parameters of most daily quests are similar in their spirit. Knowledge of this fact allows to compute more or less sane values for similar quests as well, also taking difficulty into account. As for me it looks like difficulty of keys somewhere between black stingers and gifts.
Quinny
Peon
Peon

Post by Quinny »

I like that math Chay.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

As for me I'm fine with Chay's math - quite close to what I estimated myself. I think something like 5 keys/15 dailypoints/525xp/2250gp would do far better than its now. Maybe a bit more GPs (you get 2500GPs per 4 black stingers while stingers are easier to obtain in general, IMO). Obtaining 10 keys could be hard task for low level players so I would prefer 5 keys version. Otherwise it would take "almost forever" for lvl 40-50 to do quest even once :P.
Chay
Novice
Novice

Post by Chay »

Since it is really pointless to do this daily quest now, I plan to fix it with testers proposed 5 keys/15 dailypoints/525xp/2250gp.
thusmark
Peon
Peon

Post by thusmark »

Chay wrote: Since it is really pointless to do this daily quest now, I plan to fix it with testers proposed 5 keys/15 dailypoints/525xp/2250gp.
Thank you! I think that that daily quest must be the one to be used the least! Hope you get the time to implement those changes as soon as possible. :alt-6:
Graf Koks
Newly Registered User

Post by Graf Koks »

Oh right, Chay was too busy with holidays... I'll go remind her :alt-6: