Mob AI behavior

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Fortunato
Novice
Novice

Re: Mob AI behavior

Post by Fortunato »

Cassy wrote: Please everyone take care of which mobs you decide to make wander back to their spawn area.
It might sound great to do so with the skulls in the gy but for gameplay this is really annoying.
The graveyard is a place where people level from lvl~50 (some earlier, some later) to lvl99, so they spend most of the time here (and with Yetis).
Archers would be annoyed as hell with all the skulls around because they hardly hit them even with DEX99.
Sure you can say now that they should just get help, but it's not like there's always help around.
Mid- (and also some high-)level warriors often can't be bothered to fight many often them as well.

Please keep in mind that luring mobs away is not just to make the map easier, but also, and I tend to say *mainly*, to make the gameplay more attractive.
Choose wise which mobs should return to their spawn area.

A few examples based on my personal opinion:
-> Skulls in graveyard returning to their home: no
-> Jack O in graveyard returning to its home: yes
-> Spiders in Terranite Cave: no
-> Terranites themselves: yes
-> Clovers Patches: yes
I completely agree with Cassy on this, especially concerning skulls and spiders. Besides that, I think it's a great idea!
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Um, clovers don't move ...
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

o11c wrote:Um, clovers don't move ...
Maybe they mean clovers grow up at the same place and not at a random one ?
sacriopsmen
Novice
Novice

Post by sacriopsmen »

About the clovers : I think it's more interresting to not have them always at the same places, anyway, it makes it a bit harder to get a four leaf and avoid farming.

As a tank, there is a mib behavior that I'd like to see : the monster focussing on me as long as I am there and hitting me instead of some other player helping me. I thought that a good shield, with this effect would be the greatest thing to make the tanks useful instead of the mage using #itenplz and running around. It is really a dangerous kind of item if you don't have a good team thought. And it would be interresting to have different shield for different kinds of monsters.

Of course, this change would force a lot of changes in the AI but as it is already planned to be changed...
Ingame : "Lord Vlad" my archer-healer or "nanogreedy" my vunerable and pretty useless tank.
I also have an archer used as a shop : Vladshop. But it's not my favourite.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

The whole reason I began working on this is to prevent players from making maps less difficult than the designers intended. Jailing all the hard mobs is not what the designers intended.. I see level50 people in supposedly level90+ areas all the time due to this. Mobs need to wander back to where they belong to prevent players from doing this.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

MadCamel wrote:The whole reason I began working on this is to prevent players from making maps less difficult than the designers intended. Jailing all the hard mobs is not what the designers intended.. I see level50 people in supposedly level90+ areas all the time due to this. Mobs need to wander back to where they belong to prevent players from doing this.
For sure, GY would be way harder if skulls were constantly there. But where do players from 60-90 level range are supposed to level up ?
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

There's always the terranite caves, the desert mountains and mountain snakes(there's even some skeletons there in a cave now), Nivalis and the snow fields, etc. TMW is pretty big and much of that area is being ignored because the graveyard is such an easy grind when it's nerfed by mob penning.

I'm pretty sure some of the new maps content people are working on are also going to be good for mid-level players.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

MadCamel wrote:There's always the terranite caves, the desert mountains and mountain snakes(there's even some skeletons there in a cave now), Nivalis and the snow fields, etc. TMW is pretty big and much of that area is being ignored because the graveyard is such an easy grind when it's nerfed by mob penning.

I'm pretty sure some of the new maps content people are working on are also going to be good for mid-level players.
mountain snakes dont produce enough exp to level off of neither does anything in the snow fields. people dont play in these areas because you cant get decent exp. 500 exp a kill isnt going to get you to level 90. i personally think if you isolate newer players to these lesser maps theyll just leave the game. i could be wrong but thats how it seems to me