tmwa and/or tmwa-server-data development environment

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

melkior
Warrior
Warrior

tmwa and/or tmwa-server-data development environment

Post by melkior »

By following discussions in #themanaworld-dev on IRC, I've noticed that a lot of people who want to develop have a hard time setting up a development environment. Some have an OS which is unsupported, others have an OS that doesn't meet certain requirements and so on.

A virtual machine solution already exists, but it can be cumbersome, and it isn't kept up to date automatically. Also, the default setup forces you to use the client inside the VM, which complicates things additionally.

I've decided to attempt to make a simpler and more automated solution, using Vagrant. Vagrant allows the creation of virtual development environments which run inside a pre-configured virtual machine. Apart from automating the cloning, building and configuring the server, it also keeps your main environment clean. This build assigns port forwarding, allowing you to use your normal client when developing.

This Vagrant setup (and instructions) can be found here.

I welcome suggestions, modifications and contributions.

(And yes, this will allow you to run a local server on Windows, or any other OS.)